Used 1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 323 model:

Amazing little car
By MommaK

1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

We purchase this car from my son for $500 with 181,000 miles on it. It just starts and goes every time I ask it to. We just spent over $600 in repairs, but I know it's money well spent. This car is amazingly reliable, practical and fun. I average 33 mpg on the rural country roads where I live. It has the manual tranny and there's plenty of power for the hills and to pass the slowpokes. I call it my "mazda-ratti" and I love it.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, reliability, maneuverability and the hatchback. My other car is a huge Dodge Ram Diesel; this car fits in ANY parking place.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda should have kept making this affordable car, adding airbags, air conditioning and a sound system.

First Car
By Kevin

1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

My father bought this car for me for $100 and at first i thought that it would be beat up and unreliable. I was wrong, this car is very reliable and the gas mileage is great. I am currently in high school so don't wish to spend all my money on gas. I love the car so much I even named her "Rhonda"! The only thing that went out was the distributor but it wasn't a big deal. This car is great and perfect for a first car. So far , the mileage is 156,799.

Favorite Features

The hatchback allows me to put a lot of stuff in my car and the folding rear seats help. I love how there's plenty of rear space for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

The paint on the rear brake light, above the tail light, tends to fade to a whitish pink color. Automatic locks! But for a cheap and reliable car, I can't complain!

nice little car
By jomurdo17

1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1992 mazda 323 hatchback a couple of months ago and this thing is great it is very reliable it is surprisingly spacious and comfortable plus with the fold down rear seat you can store alot! it will get a little more than 300 miles on a single tank of gas these cars are priced around 500 dollars but it is worth much more I personally paid 300 for mine and it runs great they are underpowered with only 82 horse power but if you want an economy car to take you to work or something this is the car for you

Favorite Features

folding rear seat, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

better performance I'm getting outran by Chevy Astro vans for goodness sakes also it is very loud I'll be going 30 mph and it will sound like 70 mph if your thinking about buying one of these cars I would recommend it but make sure you check it for leaks I almost spent alot on new transmission seals

Excellent Little Car
By CM

1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $2000CDN from a previous owner with 187,000Kms on it. Other than the fact that he was a smoker, which took me about a year + to get rid of the smell, it's a fantastic car! It is/was my first car, cheap on gas (I had to commute over 220kms/day at the time for work), great handling, solid on the road, versatile for packing and loading with gear for anything you want to do! I've had it 3 years (63,000kms), and although I could afford a much nicer car now, I will drive this car until it dies because I love it! And the way it runs, that'll be a long time from now!

Favorite Features

Great fuel-economy! Heavy, sturdy, solid car! Reliable! Tons of room for camping gear, bikes, etc.

Suggested Improvements

A passenger side mirror. Larger wheels. More comfort for long drives.

Great Little Car
By baz

1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 323 with about 90,000 miles on it and in 3 years of driving it's been a little tank, totally reliable. Always starts, no matter how cold (and it gets darn cold here in Canada). Nothing but tuneups and normal maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. It's an ugly little tub but totally reliable, fun to drive and gets great mileage. It's actually my 2nd 323. The first one ran up 360,000kms (216,000 miles) before getting totaled in an accident. I'll probably buy another one if I ever get rid of my current 323. Cheapest to run, most reliable car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

It has a lot of room for such a little car, especially with the back seat fold down. And of course it's reliable as a hammer and handles great. Pretty peppy too for a 1600cc engine.

Suggested Improvements

All 323s seem to have a problem with a leak between the fuel pump and the gas tank. The tank was replaced on mine under warranty years ago. Also passenger side seatbelts become loose over time.