Used 1992 Mazda 323 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 323 model:

Amazing little car
By MommaK

1992 Mazda 323 2dr Hatchback

We purchase this car from my son for $500 with 181,000 miles on it. It just starts and goes every time I ask it to. We just spent over $600 in repairs, but I know it's money well spent. This car is amazingly reliable, practical and fun. I average 33 mpg on the rural country roads where I live. It has the manual tranny and there's plenty of power for the hills and to pass the slowpokes. I call it my "mazda-ratti" and I love it.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, reliability, maneuverability and the hatchback. My other car is a huge Dodge Ram Diesel; this car fits in ANY parking place.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda should have kept making this affordable car, adding airbags, air conditioning and a sound system.

nice little car
By jomurdo17

1992 Mazda 323 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1992 mazda 323 hatchback a couple of months ago and this thing is great it is very reliable it is surprisingly spacious and comfortable plus with the fold down rear seat you can store alot! it will get a little more than 300 miles on a single tank of gas these cars are priced around 500 dollars but it is worth much more I personally paid 300 for mine and it runs great they are underpowered with only 82 horse power but if you want an economy car to take you to work or something this is the car for you

Favorite Features

folding rear seat, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

better performance I'm getting outran by Chevy Astro vans for goodness sakes also it is very loud I'll be going 30 mph and it will sound like 70 mph if your thinking about buying one of these cars I would recommend it but make sure you check it for leaks I almost spent alot on new transmission seals

Great Little Car
By baz

1992 Mazda 323 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 323 with about 90,000 miles on it and in 3 years of driving it's been a little tank, totally reliable. Always starts, no matter how cold (and it gets darn cold here in Canada). Nothing but tuneups and normal maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. It's an ugly little tub but totally reliable, fun to drive and gets great mileage. It's actually my 2nd 323. The first one ran up 360,000kms (216,000 miles) before getting totaled in an accident. I'll probably buy another one if I ever get rid of my current 323. Cheapest to run, most reliable car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

It has a lot of room for such a little car, especially with the back seat fold down. And of course it's reliable as a hammer and handles great. Pretty peppy too for a 1600cc engine.

Suggested Improvements

All 323s seem to have a problem with a leak between the fuel pump and the gas tank. The tank was replaced on mine under warranty years ago. Also passenger side seatbelts become loose over time.

Repeat Buyer For A Good Reason
By Turtlelady

1992 Mazda 323 2dr Hatchback

My most recent Maz, the '92 323 wasn't anything fancy, but it was practical, economical, fun to drive, handled perfectly, and it ran and ran and ran until recently, after 9 years (I was the second owner), it finally quit with 242,500 miles on it...and 3 cylanders. Yes, it had every right in the world to die, but it was the most reliable car I've ever owned (next to the first Maz, the '80 GLC--older version of the 323). I couldn't recommend a better, more reliable car than a Maz.

Favorite Features

The simplicity of it. No extra "bells & whistles" on it, just your basics of rear defroster, heater, tape player. Everything was within easy reach.

Suggested Improvements

THAT CURSED AUTOMATIC SEATBELT!!! I ended up disconneting it and using the seatbelt manually after a while. It was annoying.

A RELIABLE LITTLE WORKHORSE
By LUKE

1992 Mazda 323 2dr Hatchback

This car never let me down. In the 11 years I own it, I didn't have one breakdown. Note I maintained it 100% myself, so I know exactly what has happened to the car. Excellent fuel economy, very good performance. I love this little car!!!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, performance, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Sorry, can't think of any.