Used 2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

We Love Our Mazda
By Marvin Colvin

2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Due to difficult family urgency issues, my wife logged over 2000 miles the first month. If it hadn't been such a sweet, effortless driving experience, she couldn;t have managed it. It made the impossible possible. Most of the traveling involved mountain driving, the shortest distance to and from the destination. She felt secure making it in the Mazda. She would have gone the long way with any of our previous cars. That is saying a lot for her to feel comfortable choosing the 2 lane mountain road. She loves her I phone and frequently talks while driving. She has given up her ear buds and now loves to talk through the car using Blue Tooth. Works well for her. Given that most of our traveling has been on grades or around town, we have yet to see anything close to 40mpg. It has all been between 30-35. Still much better than our previous vehicles. We challenged the back storage behind the back seat today with a large grocery shopping trip. Even I was amazed at all we got in there (stacking it of course), with room to spare. Overall it has been a joy, a lifesaver, and is turning into a trusted friend.

Gas mileage cheat codes!
By Trevor L. Burrell

2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car with the SkyActive technology gets completely unfair gas mileage. Unfair to the service stations because you won't be giving them money very often. I managed to drive from Wilson NC to Greenville NC using only 13 miles on the range on this car after fill up in Wilson NC! It's wonderful. The push button start, Bluetooth, push button keyless entry on the door handles and all the other features are incredible. Five stars!!!

Great handling little economy car
By Brian Meston

2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a used 2013 hatchback with low mileage a few months back. So far, it has proven to be a fantastic little car. I love the performance! When I need it to get up and go, it can really boogie. We live the Colorado mountains, and with a good set of snow tires, this car has been very good at getting around. I also love knowing that I am regularly getting over 35mpg after numerous tanks. I realize that fuel prices and ridiculously low these days, but they will rise again. Count on it.
Pros:
- great acceleration and handling
- great gas mileage
- good sound system with touch screen interface. It also has a hidden USB port in the center console for an iPod
- interesting headlight feature that rotates the lights towards the turn you are making. This is pretty handy on dark mountain roads.
- awesome seat heaters with 4 settings

Cons: (mostly cosmetic, but I hope Mazda reads these and makes some changes in the future models)
- reduce the lag in the transmission that causes the car to pause briefly when accelerating from a stop
- It would be nice to have a couple of cubby-holes in the center console for extra temporary storage while driving
- modify the in-dash navigation system so that the arrow indicating direction of travel always points up (towards the front of the car), regardless of compass direction.
- modify the aerodynamics so that the back window does not get do wet and dirty during inclement weather.
- add some insulation to lessen the road noise at highway speeds. As it is, you have to crank the stereo just to hear it at higher speeds.
- add a small extension to each sun visor to provide more sun blocking near the rear view mirror. (see a Subaru for an example)

Bought mine new in 2013
By Tony

2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 mazda3 in August of 2013 with just over 500 miles on it. I'm the first owner of this car and I'm just not too impressed with it after putting over 50,000 miles on it so far. Sure, the styling is nice, and the gas mileage is wonderful, but I started having electrical problems with it within the year I bought it and the dealer said they couldn't do anything about it. The ride is pretty rough, and like several other cars I've owned, if someone in the back seat opens a window, it sounds like a helicopter is flying inside of your ears.

Great City Car
By boomerbob

2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Mazda 3 for just over a month and I'm very pleased with the car. Most of my driving is in the city and the SkyActive engine has delivered right at 30mpg on the first 5 tanks. I really like the driving dynamics and the overall road feel the car gives. My only complaint so far is the road noise at higher speeds. There's plenty of interior room and very comfortable seats.

Driving dynamics, handling, seating, hatchback versatility and of course the great gas mileage.

Better insulation for less road noise at highway speeds.