Used 2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

Best college car
By Mdclark93

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Mazda 2 in 2014. I needed a vehicle with great gas mileage, a low payment, a way to listen to my music from my phone, and still look pretty snazzy. I came from a totally basic model 2006 Hyundai Tucson that got 19 mpg and transmission problems. The Mazda 2 got 28 mpg (way better than my Tucson!) and all I ever did was change the oil regularly and changed the brakes maybe one time. Mazda makes excellent tires; over the two years with the many long trips I took it on it kept the same ones I bought it with and we're still good when I traded for a new vehicle a few weeks ago due to growing family. Though it was a vehicle MADE TO BE AFFORDABLE, Mazda still made it look like a quality car for the type of vehicle it was made to be. I'm from Mississippi, and everyone knows Mississippi girls like to eat and take up space. THREE friends and I fit COMFORTABLY in the vehicle with all of or luggage in the trunk on three 6 hour trips to the beach. It worked just fine and didn't hinder the trip one bit; actually gave us more spending money due to the great gas mileage and only needed max $15 to fill up. With 28 mpg, and driving a 45 min drive three times a week plus driving to work, I still only needed to fill up once or twice a week depending on what I did on the weekends. The Mazda 2 was a definite upgrade from my previous vehicle. Totally low maintainence. The ride could be Slightly noisy, but the way it drove was so fun that I didn't mind the light noise. Also, you could feel just about every bump you hit, but good grief it was like half a foot off the ground so feeling bumps is to be expected. I enjoyed the size, I didn't feel like I would ram into anybody; parking, backing up, and switching lanes was super super easy. Wish I had this car as a first one honestly. It even had a USB and aux outlet for listening to music, though I really only used the USB so I could charge and listen to music. Siri would talk through the sound system which made navigation from the phone heard. By the way, the sound system was awesome, especially since the one in my Tucson was ruined by previous owner. Due to new baby, I needed a vehicle to accommodate the baby car seat without bringing the front passenger seat so far up (though the Mazda 2 did have what was needed to install a baby car seat just in case and my 5'3 mom could fit comfortably in the front passenger seat with the baby car seat installed). I loved this Mazda so much I traded for a 2013 CX-5 which I'm in love with! The Maxda 2 was extremely wonderful to me and I would recommend it to anyone; MAZDA ALL THE WAY!

Back to Driving, a car that's not an appliance
By David Strain

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a fan of cars that drive well, and are not complicated. The Mazda2 with its five speed manual, a very smooth shifting manual, fits this bill perfectly. Like the Mazda Miata it is not overpowered but its elegant manual shifter more than compensates, and at highway speeds is both comfortable and secure. We drove from San Francisco to Phoenix to Giants spring training and enjoyed the ride at least as much as we had in larger cars like the VW Passat. There were two of us; the back seat is fine for children and comfortable for adults in the Bay Area. It's a hatchback and we could put two suitcases in the "trunk," and of course much more by lowering the back seats. Parking is amazing . . . the car is 144 inches long. There's no touchscreen . . . the things you need get going by buttons, some on the steering wheel. A wonderful car.

An OK cheap car to get you from place to place
By Laurie

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ok first off I will state that this car does what I bought it to do. Go from place to place cheaply and helps me stay out of debt. Cheap was the main reason I bought it. I needed something new, reliable, from a respected manufacturer to get me from place to place. The Mazda 2 does this just fine. With that being said here is what I think of the car.

I bought the automatic touring model.

- Interior.

Cheap plastics that scratch easily. Cheap fabric that tears easily. My back seat tore with only 2000 miles on the car. No one uses my back seat except for occasionally my dog. We religiously put a blanket on the back seat whenever he was in the car to minimize dog hair all over it. Still the seat tore. Had it sewn professionally and it tore again along the seam. With that being said it is a good looking interior with black fabric and red piping to spruce it up a bit.

Hard to see fuel level indicator. Small gauges on the dash. The layout is fine but the gauges and text on the information system are small and hard to read.

Not a lot of room in it. My daughter has both a Mini Cooper Coupe and a Chevy Sonic. Both small cars, like the Mazda 2, but both have tons more room inside. I feel like I am sitting on top of my passenger in the Mazda 2. In order to fit in the car I have to have the seat all the way back, the seat bottom lowered as far as it will go and the seat back reclining far back. In this position I am forced to keep my nose up high to see over the dash. And I am not especially tall (5'7"), but I do get my height from my legs. When I am in the driver's seat there is no leg room at all for any passengers behind me.

Cup holders are hidden underneath the optional arm rest I had installed. No back seat cup holders. Little storage.

We got the 6 speaker Bose system. Its an ok system. I have heard a lot better.

The windows wont defog for the life of me. I have tried every setting on the heat/ac system and the only setting that works in a/c on (even in winter in new england brrr) and full blast fan coming out of the defrost setting only. I had some luck with Rain Dance defogger.

- Exterior.

The chrome peeled off the Mazda 2 logo in back within weeks of buying the car. Other than that the exterior has held up pretty well.

- Mechanics.

It has been a reliable running vehicle now for 2+ years and 50,000 miles on it. It always starts in cold new england winters. Maintenance has been cheap and in frequent. Balise Mazda in West Springfield, Ma has been awesome! Now the bad. The brakes! Ugh. The anti lock brake feature comes on way too early. I have had multiple issues stopping in it. I found pumping helps. I brought this up to Mazda service and they cant find anything wrong with them. Today I nearly hit a Jeep in front of me and it wasnt even in hard braking conditions. The anti lock braking comes on at random times. This is not acceptable and is the main reason I am trading the car in. I need braking power. Too many hills and bad road conditions in western Massachusetts to play around with finicky brakes.

- Handling.

It is easy to drive and handles fine. I taught my teenaged daughter to drive in it. It is way underpowered for driving in a hilly or mountainous region. I have given up on certain freeway on ramps because the car just doesnt have enough power to get up to 65 and merge. Now on to winter driving. Get 4 really good snow tires if you have to drive on snow at all. I had NO control on snow with the stock tires. I have a little better with top of the line snow tires but its still not really good and leaves me driving with sweat covered hands due to nerves.

- Overall.

If you are looking for something cheap, with fair MPG, and from a reliable maker then the Mazda 2 is a good bet. If you live in a hilly or mountainous area with bad weather then look at something with better handling, heating, power and control.

Shhh...don't tell anyone why you REALLY bought it.
By troyohchatter

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

$14K out the door (I got a deal!), no options, no infotainment to speak of; just a small Japanese hatchback. Basic transportation. And for that purpose, in and of itself, it was well worth the money to buy. But it's so much more. It's like driving a go-cart to work every day. The steering is spot on, brakes are fantastic, and the handling overall is unbelievable. The seats are sporty and comfortable and the ergonomics are the best I have seen in a long time. Furthermore, no options still means you get keyless entry, windows, locks, and an iPod/MP3 capable sound system. Just an overall good car.

The 1.5L engine has only a 6300RPM redline, thus the low 100HP rating, but listen; this engine has more midrange punch than the Honda Fit ever dreamed of and is literally loafing on the interstate while the Fit is spinning the cams out of the head. No Skyactive, direct injected, gee whiz technology here; just a well designed, detail oriented hatch.

I think that Mazda could take a note or two from Honda and see how to carve a bit more rear seat and hatch room out of the package. For my use, it's fine, but if it was to be used to haul passengers or large items I would have had to get a Fit.

Awesome little car!
By acarlton

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun!When I totaled my Mazda3, I started looking at other cars but nothing came up to snuff like the Mazda.

At 100hp per 6k rpm's, it seems like not a lot, and it's not. With a 5M, you can push it a little more and have more control over the car. The interior is excellent in the touring model and does not feel like a tiny car. Road noise is not nearly as loud as I expected. It does well on long trips, getting about 36mi/gallon. I know this is weird to throw in, but this little car handles potholes really well.
And unlike one or two reviews I read, it does not "bounce" all over the road. It's very sturdy and handles pretty similarly to my Mazda3 (RIP).

The handling is excellent, and I love driving it on winding roads. I know some reviews say that this car should get better mpg, but that doesn't bother me as much...the difference between an '07 M3 and an '11 M2 in gas is about 5-7 mpg more; so, I'm happy with that! And also, I'd rather have the ability to give my car a little more power with the manual transmission so I won't get run over on the road than have a few more mpg.

I don't particularly love how easy the clutch is. The first time I test drove the car, I almost shoved the clutch through the floor. My husband says my Mazda 3 was like that, but the clutch is even more responsive in my M2.