2014 Maserati Ghibli Consumer Review: Ghibli SQ4

2014 Maserati Ghibli - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.0L V6 Twin-turbo 8-speed Automatic)

Ghibli SQ4
By pluther on

2014 Maserati Ghibli 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Purchased the Ghibli SQ4 after being a BMW 5 series driver for over a decade. There are so many BMW's on the road now that they are just not that unique anymore. The Ghibli seemed like a very unique option and I am overall very pleased. I only have 500 miles on the car but it has been a lot of fun. The Ghibli is not a luxury car...it's a true sports car that is built do drive. It has a firm ride (which I love) and it's pretty noisy compared to BMW or Mercedes but that's what I wanted. It's handling and exhaust are second to none in this class...really awesome. The paddle shifters work terrific and shift instantly unlike many competitors. The car design is beautiful!

Favorite Features

The Car handles fantastic...better than my BMW 550 which is saying a lot as I think the BMW's handle better than their competitors. Feels very nimble and agile for a larger sedan. Best handling car I've had since a Porsche Boxter S. The engine is surprisingly quick and responsive for a V6 dual turbo and has a lot of power throughout the range. Feels like a V8. The most unique feature is the exhaust...awesome sound that gets even better when you put it into sport mode. Interior looks great and is unique for this class of car. If you're looking for something different than a BMW, Audi or Mercedes sports sedan, this is an excellent option.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo system is very poor. I upgraded to the "Premium" sound system and it sounds like a rental car system. I assume it's from the Chrysler parts bin. The overall sound is very flat and muted and the subwoofer shakes the rear deck. Very surprising given the price of this car. My previous BMW 550 system was FAR superior. I now need to spend money to upgrade in the aftermarket. Not sure how the $4k Bowers & Wilkens system sounds but if I had to do it again, I'd buy the base system and upgrade in aftermarket for much less. Maserati should try to differentiate/upgrade the Chrysler UConnect touch screen in some way as it feels a bit pedestrian.
By pluther
on 08/10/14 14:37 PM (PDT)

Follow-up review after 7,000 miles. Still love the looks, performance and sound of the car. The cars lines are elegant and gets a lot of looks. The engine and handling are both very good. Car feels light for a car this size. The exhaust system sounds great as only the Italians can. Lots of fun to drive and is unique to other cars in it's class. Still having issues with rattles and the audio system. Had the car in to get fixed but Maserati unable to address so far. The audio system is underpowered (I have the Harmon Kardon) and the subwoofer rattles and shakes the back shelf behind the seat. Net, very disappointed in the audio system for a car in this class and will likely need to go aftermarket to fix it. Satellite radio is constantly losing a signal. If Maserati could just fix these interior issues, they would have a winner