Used 2008 Lotus Exige Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Lotus Exige - Consumer Reviews

2008 Lotus Exige

View reviews for a specific Exige model:

Street Legal Race Car
By SanDiegan

2008 Lotus Exige S 240 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is my second Lotus. My first was an 05 Elise with 190bhp, a soft top, and standard ("Touring") suspension. My new S240 could not be a more different car. This Exige is serious business. The acceleration is spectacular; when you get on the throttle the supercharger sounds like a jet engine and you quickly become one with the driver's seat. I really enjoyed the handling and cornering of the Elise, but the Exige S240 with the Track Pack is not to be believed. The capability of this car to corner hard with minimal body roll is unlike anything you have experienced before (including 360 Modena's and Gallardo's that I have driven).

Favorite Features

This is a purpose built car; it's key strengths are acceleration, torque, handling, and excellent communication between the road and driver. This is a great weekend track car that you can drive to and from the track. I also use mine as a daily driver, although this is not for everyone.

Suggested Improvements

Significantly better build quality over the 05 Model Year, but it is still a Lotus! Minor annoyances here and there, but nothing serious.

And I thought my N/A Exige was HOT!
By Al B, Bach

2008 Lotus Exige S 240 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Well, this is the second Exige I've bought and for those that thought the S version was hot in 07, this limited 240S for US release in 08 is just outstanding. I'll put this simply, this is the street version track car. Not much has changed overall, unless you count the interior is redone, has the launch capability, better, bigger brakes, 4 piston calipers and (gasp) a cupholder! Now, I didn't think that Lotus could improve the Exige, even with the superchager in 07. I waited since my first one was the first release without the SC. I was going to buy the track version, but heard that I should wait. I'm glad I did... so worth it! This Exige is is the BEST! Words can't describe the feeling

Favorite Features

Launch control, new look to interior but still spartan and distraction free, very crisp(er) throttle response with the 240S over the S. Again, this is the Exiges' Exige. This car just blows me away, and I've had an Exige for two years now. Now my problem is which one to drive.

Suggested Improvements

OK, the reality check. View this as a cons list. The car is NOT utilitarian in ANY sense of the word. IF YOU DON"T ENJOY DRIVING, THEN THIS CAR IS NOT FOR YOU. If I was going to have a gripe... a cupholder, in this car? Lotus has a sense of humor, someone at marketing had to have a joke over this!