2005 Lotus Elise Consumer Review: This car begs you to drive it

2005 Lotus Elise - Consumer Review

Base Convertible (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

This car begs you to drive it HARD
By Mike C on

2005 Lotus Elise 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I cannot state how happy I am with this car. It rewards the driver at every level. This is my first high performance sports car, and initially behind the wheel I didn't know what to expect and drove it very conservatively. It rewarded me at this level and drove very easily. As my sports driving skills have grown, I find there is continuously more ability in this car. As I learn to exploit it's performance more, it shows me it has more to give. So far I have not found the bottom of this tall glass of fast and agile! My wife loves driving it too, and she was previously not a car enthusiast. That has all changed. You will fall in love with this car!

Fast acceleration, amazing handling in the corners, very stable at high speeds, incredible feel really does "connect the driver to the road" in a way I have never before experienced. Personally I LOVE the low profile and the roar of the engine right behind you. The car is pure function.

I don't suggest any improvements here, because this car is perfect for what it is; this is a street legal race car. It is worth noting then, that this is not a luxury car: there isn't even a cupholder in the cabin. Excluding A/C and power windows, there isn't an oz. of weight that isn't mandatory.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review