2005 Lotus Elise Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (73 reviews )
Pure Fun
By dk on 12/21/09 06:16 AM (PST)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you just want to have kick butt driving fun, this is your car. Don't expect posh comfort but do expect the most fun that you have ever had driving a car. No cup holders but then again, it would spill anyway. You will also become a minor celeb as people will take your picture, and will follow you all over the place. It can actually get a little annoying but once again, fun. No matter what other cars on around you, you will become the focal point. I have had mine for 4 years and I still love to just look at it. The temptation to drive too fast is overwhelming but it looks fast just parked so you get over it. Fantastic car.

This car begs you to drive it HARD
By Mike C on 10/25/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I cannot state how happy I am with this car. It rewards the driver at every level. This is my first high performance sports car, and initially behind the wheel I didn't know what to expect and drove it very conservatively. It rewarded me at this level and drove very easily. As my sports driving skills have grown, I find there is continuously more ability in this car. As I learn to exploit it's performance more, it shows me it has more to give. So far I have not found the bottom of this tall glass of fast and agile! My wife loves driving it too, and she was previously not a car enthusiast. That has all changed. You will fall in love with this car!

One wicked car!
By Magnetic Blue Elise on 09/10/08 12:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car 6 months ago and have the only complaint of driving it too much! Nothing has gone wrong so far and I do my own oil changes with Mobil 1 5w40 synthetic oil. On curvy roads it's unbeatable. Me and my friends with fast cars (08 evo, 05 vette, 04 G35 Coupe, 04 STI) go cruising on local back roads and none of them can keep up with me. Try taking a tight turn on the hwy at 130mph... this car can do it! Has a very unique design that is eye catching for all ages!

WOW!
By Jud on 09/06/08 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a 5,700 mile Magnetic Blue Elise on eBay, during a hurricane. Once I finally got the car, I never wanted to get out, and did but only to sleep (although I did sleep in the Elise on a long trip and found the high sills to be an excellent perch for my feet as I spread out across the cabin). I cannot explain the fun, the performance and the economy in running one of these fantastic machines. At some point every gearhead must own one. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! I may have to sell to buy a Ferrari but it is only to get more luggage space. Yes, a Ferrari can be the mature choice; but you have to start in an Elise.

Lots of Bang for your Buck!
By WC Kelly on 06/24/08 20:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a true head-turner. There is absolutely, positively NO other car that competes with the Lotus Elise in either looks or performance for the price. An absolute PLEASURE to drive, this car will give you a perma-grin. I have parked my Chrome Orange Elise next to cars costing twice as much, yet the crowd seems to gather around the Lotus. If you are shy, this is NOT the car for you, unless, perhaps, you are looking to come out of your shell. This is an excellent car for for women or men with small feet, as the pedals are located close together. It is certainly not the most graceful car to enter and exit... (don't wear a skirt ladies!) All in all a fantastic car to drive!

Wow!
By Erich on 11/26/07 12:15 PM (PST)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a car only for those who love to drive and KNOW how to drive well. This car will outperform most everything out there with the exception of some super cars. It is not for the driver who wants creature comforts... not a cup holder, climate control, heated seat to be found. This is essentially a street legal track car. The cool thing is that you can drive her to the track, put on your helmet and eat up a 911, Miata, Cobra, or what ever else gets in your way. Then have a nice drive home. I use mine as a daily commuter for a 110 mile round trip. It makes the drive fun and economical.

Sold for a better car
By Sal on 10/17/07 14:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I owned the Lotus Elise for about 7 months. I enjoyed the car and thought that there was no better car for the same price. Then I test drove a Honda S2000. Every feature that the Lotus lacks the Honda makes up for it. more horse power, higher RPM Redline (9000RPM) and the handling is just as effective. 0-60 time is a little bit slower but 0-100 time is quicker and thats really what counts in my book. Lotus was okay but the S2000 beats it in speed and handling.

Lotus Experience
By Ken on 09/11/07 07:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Back in the sixties when I was driving MGBs and Triumphs the car that stood out for me even then was the Lotus, particularly the Europa. This was a car that a true enthusiast would want. I never did get that Europa but, finally,in my later years, I was able to get the new Lotus Elise (an 05). The car has been a joy to drive and its handling and braking rival that of any sports car at any price. I can't count the number of times people have approached me with questions about the car and how much they liked it. I have had complete strangers come up to me and ask me if it was OK to take pictures of the car. The car has been a true driving experience, unlike any other sports car.

Dump your Ferrari!
By JohnRocket on 06/04/07 20:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Having owned virtually every dreamy sportscar imaginable (yes, I HAD an Enzo), this car is BY FAR the greatest thing that has ever happened to a sunny Sunday morning. Though tough to get into, once inside, you get a comfortable driving position, phenomenal fuel economy, unfiltered communication from the car, and the most pure "street legal" driving experience. Plus, the added benefit of very low cost of ownership, and not worrying if something is happening outside to your Lambo/Ferrari while it is unattended, be it valet or street- parked. Plenty of fans on the streets, but more are curious of what it is, rather than what it costs. Very cool, very fun.

A True Weekend Racer
By JK on 02/17/07 20:03 PM (PST)

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Elise is certainly not for everyone. It is not a luxurious vehicle, a daily driver (for most people), or extremely powerful. However it is very unique, very light, very fun, relatively affordable, reliable, and pure! This car weighs 25% less than a Mazda Miata, and maneuvers precisely. The steering car is very communicative, through its steering, ride, and pedals. Because of its light weight and low center of gravity it sticks to the road like glue. The engine isn't too powerful, but it is reliable with Toyota's 1.8L VVTi engine. At 6 RPM the VVTi kicks in and the car pulls very hard to redline.