Used 2005 Lotus Elise Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (73 reviews )

Pure Fun
By dk

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you just want to have kick butt driving fun, this is your car. Don't expect posh comfort but do expect the most fun that you have ever had driving a car. No cup holders but then again, it would spill anyway. You will also become a minor celeb as people will take your picture, and will follow you all over the place. It can actually get a little annoying but once again, fun. No matter what other cars on around you, you will become the focal point. I have had mine for 4 years and I still love to just look at it. The temptation to drive too fast is overwhelming but it looks fast just parked so you get over it. Fantastic car.

The exterior styling is timeless and attracts attention everywhere you go.

My only complaint is the fogging of the windshield. I use antifog cleaner constantly on the inside of the window but it will fog up all the time.

This car begs you to drive it HARD
By Mike C

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I cannot state how happy I am with this car. It rewards the driver at every level. This is my first high performance sports car, and initially behind the wheel I didn't know what to expect and drove it very conservatively. It rewarded me at this level and drove very easily. As my sports driving skills have grown, I find there is continuously more ability in this car. As I learn to exploit it's performance more, it shows me it has more to give. So far I have not found the bottom of this tall glass of fast and agile! My wife loves driving it too, and she was previously not a car enthusiast. That has all changed. You will fall in love with this car!

Fast acceleration, amazing handling in the corners, very stable at high speeds, incredible feel really does "connect the driver to the road" in a way I have never before experienced. Personally I LOVE the low profile and the roar of the engine right behind you. The car is pure function.

I don't suggest any improvements here, because this car is perfect for what it is; this is a street legal race car. It is worth noting then, that this is not a luxury car: there isn't even a cupholder in the cabin. Excluding A/C and power windows, there isn't an oz. of weight that isn't mandatory.

One wicked car!
By Magnetic Blue Elise

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car 6 months ago and have the only complaint of driving it too much! Nothing has gone wrong so far and I do my own oil changes with Mobil 1 5w40 synthetic oil. On curvy roads it's unbeatable. Me and my friends with fast cars (08 evo, 05 vette, 04 G35 Coupe, 04 STI) go cruising on local back roads and none of them can keep up with me. Try taking a tight turn on the hwy at 130mph... this car can do it! Has a very unique design that is eye catching for all ages!

The exhaust sound. When in VVT (6000- redline!) Quick steering response. The feel and joy of driving this car!! especially with the Targa section removed.

Wider wheels in the front. I added a small subwoofer box behind my seat and the sound is GREAT!! A little more padding in the seats...overall I don't mind too much! I'm the perfect size for this car so getting in and out isn't too terrible.

WOW!
By Jud

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a 5,700 mile Magnetic Blue Elise on eBay, during a hurricane. Once I finally got the car, I never wanted to get out, and did but only to sleep (although I did sleep in the Elise on a long trip and found the high sills to be an excellent perch for my feet as I spread out across the cabin). I cannot explain the fun, the performance and the economy in running one of these fantastic machines. At some point every gearhead must own one. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! I may have to sell to buy a Ferrari but it is only to get more luggage space. Yes, a Ferrari can be the mature choice; but you have to start in an Elise.

Speed. Handling. Styling.

Alacantra coverings over that cheap plastic. A more positive 3rd gear engagement. A real stereo.

Lots of Bang for your Buck!
By WC Kelly

2005 Lotus Elise Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a true head-turner. There is absolutely, positively NO other car that competes with the Lotus Elise in either looks or performance for the price. An absolute PLEASURE to drive, this car will give you a perma-grin. I have parked my Chrome Orange Elise next to cars costing twice as much, yet the crowd seems to gather around the Lotus. If you are shy, this is NOT the car for you, unless, perhaps, you are looking to come out of your shell. This is an excellent car for for women or men with small feet, as the pedals are located close together. It is certainly not the most graceful car to enter and exit... (don't wear a skirt ladies!) All in all a fantastic car to drive!

The body style gives a look that is costs much more than what you paid! Amazing handling! Fun and fabulous.

None