2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:
Homicidal car at best
By sebago588 on 11/23/12 13:39 PM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this "Florida driven" vehicle in April of 2011. It had 70k original miles on it which was one of the selling points. The minute I drove it off the lot, the problems began. Power drivers seat died $360, a/c compressor $500, engine manifold cracked and leaked coolant all over engine damaging spark plugs and cylinders $2000+, bi-polar alarm system $450, engine shuts off randomly when driving but starts back up instantly(??) and this weeks newest problem is an exhaust leak which was estimated to be about $250 at local garage. Next sedan will most definitely be either a Cadillac Deville or Mercedes S-Class. This Town Car is a death trap on wheels.

A Great Deal!
By john596 on 07/09/12 20:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Executive 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Executive used with 68,000 miles on it. It is pearl white with tan leather interior. I had trouble with water leaking in through air intake under passenger wiper. I repaired with automotive adhesive glue and sealed the joint with undercoating spray. That fixed it. I also had trouble with hesitation. I took it to the local Lincoln dealership and for just under $500, a tune-up and transmission fluid made it drive like a new car. I am at 143,000 miles and plan to keep it at least 90,000 more miles (new Michelins). I added in-dash navigation, satellite radio, and bluetooth. This is my fifth Lincoln and fourth Town Car. I will have another, no doubt.

Comfortable Land Yacht
By Tim R. on 08/05/10 09:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned 4 town cars and one navigator. The town cars have all improved in quality, and this car is no exception. Very smooth, quiet, and the ultimate road car. I love the steering wheel controls for the stereo, ac, and Cruise. The car now has 122,000 miles on it. Repairs have included a new rear axle (bearings went out), 2 sets of brakes (rotors tend to warp), and 4 (!) new drivers side power window switches! The cd changer isn't working properly. Other than that, just regular maintenance. It has been quite reliable and gets reasonable gas mileage for such a large car. On state highways going 65, I get 27 mpg. On i90 going 80 mpg, I get 22-23 mpg. Very comfortable car!

2003 Towncar-Signature
By tuko on 05/08/10 15:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my TC in early 2007 with only 29000 and have had nothing but good service from it. Yes, it's old American styling and ride but I love the car anyway. Gets 20mph city and 25-26 highway if you don't abuse it. Whisper quiet ride. Huge trunk. Minimal problems after 66000 miles. Getting 200,000 miles shouldn't be problem but I may find a nice low mileage 07 to 09 at some point in time. My only complaint---lousy in the snow and ice.

No More American Cars for Me!
By Never again on 12/19/09 12:57 PM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Premium Cartier 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I swore after a nightmare with 1 other American car I would never own another - should have stuck with that! After having the car for 3 mos. (bought used at 2 yrs.) and 60,000 had to replace the rear axle = $1250.00. Hub bearings at 65,000 miles = $600.00. Automatic trunk mechanism at 70,000 miles = $400 to repair. Getting rid of this car....PRICELESS. The electrical system is failing, all the "fancy" gizmos either don't work anymore at all, or work only intermittently, and this is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Good riddance to the Lincoln Towncar. Goodbye, Ford, Hello Honda! At least our other car, a Honda is still going strong at 265,000 miles with very little $$ spent!

last of the big american cars
By John angelo on 09/29/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Town Car. I owned a 1996 which I found to be absolutely amazing in quality and style. This one is also a beautiful car, but, I have had some minor troubles with it that I did not experience with the previous model. Most notably, my power seat broke which resulted in a very costly repair. I do love this car though and am disappointed that the model is to be discontinued. I plan to buy another newer one next spring. I love the traditional look, rear drive reliablilty, and incredibly luxurious feel. Hood ornament, full bench seat without cluttered console, column shift,chrome grille and strips, and gigantic trunk. They don't make many like these anymore. I love it.

axle issues on 2003 models
By eugeneinchicago on 09/24/09 07:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Executive 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I own multiple cars, 98 town car, s500 98, mercury GM 98 and this one 2003 town car. Better ride than anything else, not as soft as 98 town car though, they changed the front suspension and the ride became firmer. All model year 2003 town cars (made in the year 2002) have issues with the rear axle, I had to replace mine after 18,000 miles on it, and I don't drive much at all so it was at my expense, there was a recall on all of these cars but a free repair was only for vehicles sold to fleets rather than individuals, If you hear a whining sound from the rear, or any sort of "road noise" that means the rear axle is bad. They did resolve the problem on all of 2004+ town cars.

Love my Town Car
By djunkins on 12/24/08 16:34 PM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second TC. My first was a 1997 model. Both produced a smooth, comfortable ride, especially on long trips. I also use the car for long (100 mi) work trips each week. Yes, style is dated but the car has so many positive features, like good gas mileage for a large car, cavernous trunk, easy to read dash display, automatic climate control, back-up sensor, heated seats, more. Small problems crop up now & then, but I expect that with so many luxury features available. Plus, the car is no spring chicken. Things break.

One Sweet Ride
By Bill T. on 05/13/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After the first test drive, I knew this was my car. Now that I've owned it for about 8 months, I can only say that I am extremely pleased with the car. On long trips, there's nothing like cruising down the interstate, feeling like I'm driving my leather couch down the road, only without my big-screen tv in front of me. I've had absolutely no problems with the car. I average 18 mpg around town and a very respectable 25 mpg on the highway. Another big plus with the TC is the safety aspect of having that amount of metal and airbags around you. The car simply looks impressive and is a treat to drive. It may not have stellar performance, but the two ton luxury road yacht makes me happy anyway.

Great ride; Rear End Problems
By omnidj on 01/29/08 12:23 PM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this used Town Car after having owned a 1996 Executive. Better car; better ride; great styling. Around 72K mi developed noise in rear end. I'm now informed that I need a bearing kit for the rear axle. Wearout at less than 75K mi is unsatisfactory. Ford had a recall on "some" 2003 TC's, but not mine. Also had to replace brake rotors. They seem to warp easily and require regular turning (maybe it's new metallic type pads). Overall, I still love the car and I'll stay with it