Used 2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:

Homicidal car at best
By sebago588

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this "Florida driven" vehicle in April of 2011. It had 70k original miles on it which was one of the selling points. The minute I drove it off the lot, the problems began. Power drivers seat died $360, a/c compressor $500, engine manifold cracked and leaked coolant all over engine damaging spark plugs and cylinders $2000+, bi-polar alarm system $450, engine shuts off randomly when driving but starts back up instantly(??) and this weeks newest problem is an exhaust leak which was estimated to be about $250 at local garage. Next sedan will most definitely be either a Cadillac Deville or Mercedes S-Class. This Town Car is a death trap on wheels.

Favorite Features

Heated seats for those cold days, air suspension system delivers ride unlike no other, automatic windshield wipers, prestigious "look at me, I have money look", two way opening console, factory Alpine stereo has amazing bass and superb sound, reverse park-sensing system is a must for a vehicle this size and has also saved a life once or twice, 22/mpg for someone like me who has a "lead foot", acceleration is responsive and powerful especially in those emergency "get out of this lane quick!" situations. RWD sporty performance in a car that our grandfathers drove is pretty impressive

Suggested Improvements

Too improve this care is a moot objective at this point since Town Car is no longer in production. However, I would say to beef up the climate control system to blow air a little faster instead of the current light breeze that comes out now on high. Also, I would suggest that Ford go back to using metal manifolds instead of these cheap plastic ones that constantly break from expanding/retracting in this South Florida heat. Finally, listen to your consumers. If the above listed problems are happening to myself and millions of others, perhaps Ford/Lincoln needs to return to the drawing board.

A Great Deal!
By john596

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Executive 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Executive used with 68,000 miles on it. It is pearl white with tan leather interior. I had trouble with water leaking in through air intake under passenger wiper. I repaired with automotive adhesive glue and sealed the joint with undercoating spray. That fixed it. I also had trouble with hesitation. I took it to the local Lincoln dealership and for just under $500, a tune-up and transmission fluid made it drive like a new car. I am at 143,000 miles and plan to keep it at least 90,000 more miles (new Michelins). I added in-dash navigation, satellite radio, and bluetooth. This is my fifth Lincoln and fourth Town Car. I will have another, no doubt.

Favorite Features

This car gets 29 to 30 mpg on highway with ac driving at 60 mph. In town is about 15-18. This car is quiet, roomy, and very comfortable. The interior is very tasteful. At 143,000 miles there are no rattles, squeaks, or wind noise. I keep it polished and the paint still looks new. I condition the leather with high quality products. The interior also looks new. Maintenance is extremely affordable, unlike my relatives' BMW's, Audi's, and Mercedes. A set of tires costing $700 will last 90,000. Compared to low profile tires, that is a steal. May not be a sporty looking car, but with all the value, if I want to be cool, I'll wear my fedora and Ray Bans.

Suggested Improvements

If Lincoln was to continue this model, I would suggest beefing up the air conditioning. After a charge it is cool enough. I keep it covered or in shade on very hot days. If I start out with an interior that has not been exposed to direct sunlight, the air conditioning keeps car very comfortable on days up to 106 degrees. I had a 2002 Grand Marquis LS and the air conditioner was a freezer. I could hang meat in August in that car! I hear newer Town Cars have colder air conditioners.

Comfortable Land Yacht
By Tim R.

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned 4 town cars and one navigator. The town cars have all improved in quality, and this car is no exception. Very smooth, quiet, and the ultimate road car. I love the steering wheel controls for the stereo, ac, and Cruise. The car now has 122,000 miles on it. Repairs have included a new rear axle (bearings went out), 2 sets of brakes (rotors tend to warp), and 4 (!) new drivers side power window switches! The cd changer isn't working properly. Other than that, just regular maintenance. It has been quite reliable and gets reasonable gas mileage for such a large car. On state highways going 65, I get 27 mpg. On i90 going 80 mpg, I get 22-23 mpg. Very comfortable car!

Favorite Features

Styling, ride, moon roof, trip computers, decent MPG

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower! It isn't bad, but 239 hp aren't quite enough for a car this size. Better stereo - the in-dash cd and the 6 disc trunk changer both have issues. Ac has troubles keeping up sometimes when it is very hot, but it isn't bad.

2003 Towncar-Signature
By tuko

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my TC in early 2007 with only 29000 and have had nothing but good service from it. Yes, it's old American styling and ride but I love the car anyway. Gets 20mph city and 25-26 highway if you don't abuse it. Whisper quiet ride. Huge trunk. Minimal problems after 66000 miles. Getting 200,000 miles shouldn't be problem but I may find a nice low mileage 07 to 09 at some point in time. My only complaint---lousy in the snow and ice.

Favorite Features

Ride. Comfort. Huge Trunk. Good gas mileage considering this is a real tank.

Suggested Improvements

Keep building them. I'll miss it.

No More American Cars for Me!
By Never again

2003 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Premium Cartier 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I swore after a nightmare with 1 other American car I would never own another - should have stuck with that! After having the car for 3 mos. (bought used at 2 yrs.) and 60,000 had to replace the rear axle = $1250.00. Hub bearings at 65,000 miles = $600.00. Automatic trunk mechanism at 70,000 miles = $400 to repair. Getting rid of this car....PRICELESS. The electrical system is failing, all the "fancy" gizmos either don't work anymore at all, or work only intermittently, and this is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Good riddance to the Lincoln Towncar. Goodbye, Ford, Hello Honda! At least our other car, a Honda is still going strong at 265,000 miles with very little $$ spent!

Favorite Features

Drives like a tank. Heaven help anyone who hits me in this car. I do feel safe in it, even when I'm broken down on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to show up!

Suggested Improvements

Piece of junk. Good riddance - Ford did themselves a favor junking this car. However, they have plenty of other junk to replace it, I'm sure.