Used 1997 Lincoln Town Car Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:

Luv my Beastie !!!
By Ginger Patterson

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my mother who had gotten it from a friend of the family. She gave it to me for my birthday. I've had to do very little repairs to it. He has driven strong for me. I definitely drive my vehicle hard. They have to be able to keep up with me. Even though this car is a luxury cruise car, he is my Beastie. He drives so strong & sounds so smooth. He gets very good gas mileage. He gets about 17-18 miles in town & I'd say about 25-28 miles on the highway. This car has now got over 300,000 miles on him right now & still going strong. Purzzzz like a kitten drives like a Beast. Very reliable car. The one thing that I would say about the car is that there is too much play in the steering wheel. But that could've have been something to do with the previous owner.

Got me a Car and she's as big as a Whale!
By Doug Strand

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4dr Sedan

Bought this to replace my totaled out PT Cruiser. What a difference! I had wanted one of these for about the last 10 years. I consider it the luxury version of the tried-and true Crown Vic cop car or taxi. Happened to drive by a light blue one a guy was just putting a For Sale sign on, it had been garaged its whole life, serviced by a local dealer, and had only 97K miles. The body, paint, and overall condition is excellent. Got it for around 3K. When I first got it, it needed the window washer sensor replaced, which I easily did myself, and the part was only $16. Also, it needed the steering idler arm and pitman arm replaced, which cost $280 at a mechanic. I also replaced the shocks, plug wires, and plugs, and changed oil and filter to Mobile 1 Extended Performance, just to get a fresh baseline. I still want to change the fuel filter and air filter with K & N parts. It ran fine when I bought it, but runs even smoother now. I have been getting around 18 mpg here in town, and about 23 on the highway if I keep it around 70 mph. I tried running at 55-60 and it was getting 25 mpg, but it is hard for me to drive that slow on the interstate, our speed limit is 80. It has plenty of power and holds speed on our Montana grades. It handled a brief spurt to 93 mph easily. My boys love the room in the back seat, their own reading lights, and even the ash trays! This car rides smoother, has much more interior room, and quicker acceleration than the PT cruiser, and gets close to the same gas mileage, with 8 cylinders instead of 4! Discovered when driving it last night that it even has little "headlights" that light up the road to the sides of your car when you put the blinkers on! Yes, I have received friendly comments that it looks like an elderly person's car, that is fine with me, I am 52 and may still be driving this when I am 82! This is a well-made American Classic, with good performance, modern electronics, efficiency, and STYLE. This car was about $38,000 new, and I feel like I can enjoy it for at least another 100K miles, riding in comfort, safety and style at a small fraction of the new cost. If this is what you are looking for and can find one that has been well cared for, then I say go for it. Replacement parts are readily available and affordable.

Love This Beast!!!!
By luvmylincoln

1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $2100 eight months ago. It had 219,000 miles on it when I bought it. I currently have 230,000 miles on it and I haven't had ONE problem with this vehicle. I love the fact that this car is huge, as it fits my family of 4 perfectly. The trunk is gigantic. I have a picture of my 21 year old sister and my two daughters sitting comfortably in my trunk tail-gating. Lol. This car handles phenomenally, and drives so smooth. I have owned brand new vehicles before, and none have compared to my Towncar. It will be a sad day for me when I have to get rid of it.

Smooth ride, decent gas mileage, mechanically sound, digital speedometer, etc.

The radio could be a bit better. Sometimes there is an echo on certain radio stations.

One of the Best Cars to Own
By amdo

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for 4 years, I bought it with 121k miles and now it has 165k.

It has been the most reliable car I could ask for, I got rear ended and it got totaled but since the damage was almost un-noticeable I did the buy back and I still drive it. I buy crap cars to try and keep wear off of the car.

Where all my other cars have failed this has been there to catch me and hold me as my only car as well as backup. I hardly ever have to maintain it, I had to change a ball joint once and just change the oil.

One of the best cars ever made.

Amazing interior and very smooth ride with balanced power and gas mileage. Gets only a couple miles less per gallon as other cars close in years but with V6s and V4s.

Rear wheel can make things a little difficult in the snow, but I live in the mountains and have had never really gotten stuck or had issues.

Wanted one for a while. Finally got it.
By Caleb

1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature 4dr Sedan

My first car was a '84 Grand Marquis and it made me love big cars but knew the town car was the top dog in luxury cars so I wanted a Town car. Finally bought this '97 a couple weeks ago and I love it! I'm 22 and everybody makes fun of me but I love it. So comfortable,plenty of power, and gets over 23mpg. It has tons of awesome features my '04 mustang don't even have. I stopped at a store yesterday and when I came out the car was smoking. Apparently the intake manifold malfunctioned and anti-freeze was everywhere. Seeing it's a common problem I'm not too upset. I just hope it don't cost too much to fix so I can get it back on the road and enjoy it some more.

Steering wheel controls, being able to adjust how tight or loose the steering is and the light that comes on on the side of the car when you put the turn signal on at night to help you see better when turning.

A better intake Manifold.