Used 1996 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:

1996 Lincoln Town Car Cartier
By Scott

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

My grandparents bought this car brand new as soon as it showed up at the dealer. I think the original list price was $47,000. My grandpa has since died, and in 2005, my grandma didn't feel safe driving anymore at the age of 88. She loved that car and wanted to keep it in the family, so she gave it to me, knowing I'd take the absolute best care of it. It had 31000 miles when she gave it to me. This is the most luxurious car Ford ever built. Has been very reliable, but when things have to be replaced, it's very costly for parts. It now has 102,000 miles and still drives like a dream. I never cared for the newer body style that started in '98 or '99. I'm very grateful to own such a classic car.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Presidential Series
By P. Hruz

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

My car was priced around $53,000 when it was new in 1996; I bought it used with 20,500 miles on it. I paid $28,000 with financing for 4 years. I absolutely love my car!!! When I saw it on the lot, and then looked in side, it was love at first sight. I've never regretted buying it. My Lincoln has 122,000 miles on it and I had planned to get another 200,000 more before buying a new one. Yesterday, my husband was backing it up to put it in the garage and backed into a tree. Although it dented the side a little, and scratched it A LOT, I would rather get it repaired than to go buy a new one. Needless to say, I don't feel I can ever replace it. Once you've driven a Linc. Town Car, no compareisons

Favorite Features

I love the clean cut, classier, straight line, body style. My car is custom designed with 'rag-top', a CD deck in the trunk & lots of accessories. The car is quiet, and drives and rides like a dream. I can't choose my favorite features, as I love everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

With all my car's features, it does pretty well with gas mileage @ around 22mpg's. The only thing I would say is make it a hybrid, if possible. Of course, the body style has changed tremendously from my 1996, but that's why I bought the '96 and because I couldn't find a deal like I got anywhere!!

Feel like a rich guy
By Don from Houston

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Cartier with 143000 miles on it. It has been a pleasure to drive. It literally floats down the road. The comfortable leather seating and striking dashboard design make you feel special behind the wheel. I now have 165000 miles on the car and have had nothing but routine maintenance so far. I am amazed at the quality and comfort of this car. I paid $4250.00 for this car. My 2006 Scion XB cost $17000.00 and sits in the carport most of the time because I enjoy driving the Lincoln so much. The gas mileage on the Cartier is an honest 20 mpg city and about 25 mpg highway on regular gas. I truly love driving this car and plan to keep it repaired and on the road for many years.

Favorite Features

Steering Wheel Controls (cruise, radio), interior design and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

No more plastic intake manifolds, power steering should have a little more road feel so the driver feels more secure about having control of the car. Go back to l980's square look for the body.

Lincoln Towncar Cartier 4dr
By carl schoonover

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

Overall this has been a great car. A few things quit working after 3-4 years. The cruise control stopped working and would cost $400-$500 to fix. Also, there has been a problem with the speed sensor in the right front wheel which affects the braking, although the braking is still safe it makes a groaning noise and sometimes pulls to the right. This has been fixed a couple of times, but persists. Otherwise, the car has be superb.

Favorite Features

Smooth and comfortable ride. Reasonable gas mileage (17-19 in town, 22-26 on the road) and runs on regular gas well. Plenty of pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control reliability and ABS system.

Nickel and dime repairs
By JR

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

I received this car from my grandfather who was meticulous with it. Every issue was repaired immediately and the vehicle saw a good mix of driving so I thought it would be a great car. I was mistaken. Although the ride is fantastic and performance acceptable for a big car with a small V-8 the upkeep is murder. CD player died, followed by driver's window cable system, then driver's window motor, rear passenger window motor, electric seats quit, ball joints (2nd set), brake lines rotted out, no vent setting on heater and the big one was the transmission torque converter clutch failure (which I was told is common to these cars). With only 80K miles I'm seriously considering trading it off.

Favorite Features

Incredibly comfortable interior, beautiful body style, solid feeling controls, great ride. Decent mpg (approx 19 in mixed city/hwy)

Suggested Improvements

Improve the durability of the car. Design an air suspension that doesn't need bags every 10 yrs. Mine are very close to rupture now. A $40,000 car in 1996 should not fall apart 10yrs and 80K miles later.