1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:
Best value ever
By marh42 on 09/20/11 10:52 AM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Executive 4dr Sedan

I bought this car Feb 1st for $450.00. One service and a window regulator is the ONLY money I have spent. Has 234,000 miles, acts like most 50,000 mile cars I have been in.

Just keep rollin'
By kriegar on 03/28/11 15:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th or 5th Town Car, and my second one in this body style/engine configuration. These are solid, dependable, and well appointed vehicles. What little gas money you might save in a lesser car is more than well compensated by the lower long term ownership and insurance costs. They have everything, and they don't break a lot...and no payments! This car provides a comfortable and quiet ride, (reasonable) power(it's NOT an LT1), and reasonable gas mileage. The pollution control system is not so invasive that you cannot touch the car without having it become a problem, and the traditional styling and build are a plus for maintenance and/or modification.

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
By sig96tc on 01/23/11 15:21 PM (PST)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 03 with 52K, now has 265,000 miles. Engine has never had the valve covers removed. I have no plans of getting rid of her. These cars are cheap to maintain with plenty of original parts on ebay etc.. Obviously I have taken care of it.

Great Car, Terrible Once Things Go Wrong
By poserscenemokid on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan

My first car, I bought my car for 3k with 168k miles on it. Ran fine for a week. Then things started to go, catalytic converters, the ac/heat (combined total of ~1200). The stereo went, and an aftermarket double din will not fit. All new rotors and pads; other than that, the car has been great, highway drive is amazing, my friends are jealous (they love driving it as well), sound system is great, heat is hot and the air is cold. I would buy another one, probably a Cartier with fewer miles. I did look at an 05 town car and it was nothing like the 96. Personal opinion, best year for the car.

1996 Lincoln Town Car Cartier
By Scott on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

My grandparents bought this car brand new as soon as it showed up at the dealer. I think the original list price was $47,000. My grandpa has since died, and in 2005, my grandma didn't feel safe driving anymore at the age of 88. She loved that car and wanted to keep it in the family, so she gave it to me, knowing I'd take the absolute best care of it. It had 31000 miles when she gave it to me. This is the most luxurious car Ford ever built. Has been very reliable, but when things have to be replaced, it's very costly for parts. It now has 102,000 miles and still drives like a dream. I never cared for the newer body style that started in '98 or '99. I'm very grateful to own such a classic car.

Best Deal on Wheels
By Silver Streak on 07/31/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 78,000 miles in 2003. Now in 2010 I have 212,000 miles. The car will get good gas mileage with ac off and at 65 mph with Cruise control. Car has never let me down. Never been stuck with this car. Build quality is excellent. No noises after 212k miles. Jumbo trunk. I drive hard and the transmission is original. Changed transmission fluid 3 times or more. Engine uses a quart of oil in 3000 miles so then its ready for a change or a quart and a change in 6000. Best looking Lincolns a 94-97. Get a signature or Cartier or diamond anniversary edition.

Steering Box
By Dave J on 05/19/10 06:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan

Just purchased, had front end ball joints replaced and car still feels like it does not have power steering. Mechanic thinks it is in the steering box. Can this be adjusted or must it be replaced? Mechanic quotes the price to start at $500. Appreciate any input. Thanks Dave

I Miss My Town Car
By Rod Minnesota on 10/15/09 17:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan

I recently traded my 1996 Signature as part of the cash for clunkers program. It was an outstanding car during my six years of ownership and I expect it would have lasted another 204,000 miles. Purchased used for $6,500, received $3,200 from another driver's insurance when they hit the car and received $4,500 in cash for clunkers program. I don't expect another car will have as low of cost of ownership and offer me the utility of this large car.

I'll buy another one!
By Silver Streak on 06/30/09 21:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan

I have 190,000.miles on my TC. It doesn't use oil and has the original automatic tranny. I drive hard sometimes and the car has held up very well. I have changed the automatic transmission fluild and tranny filter at a real mechanics shop not an oil change joint, 4 times and I think thats why my tranny is holding up. This is the last of the full size American Luxury cars. Keep the suspension air bags dont put in springs. Change the oil every 3-4000 miles. Great car I'd buy one again. Do the maintenence and it will last forever!

Presidential Series
By P. Hruz on 04/27/09 05:12 AM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

My car was priced around $53,000 when it was new in 1996; I bought it used with 20,500 miles on it. I paid $28,000 with financing for 4 years. I absolutely love my car!!! When I saw it on the lot, and then looked in side, it was love at first sight. I've never regretted buying it. My Lincoln has 122,000 miles on it and I had planned to get another 200,000 more before buying a new one. Yesterday, my husband was backing it up to put it in the garage and backed into a tree. Although it dented the side a little, and scratched it A LOT, I would rather get it repaired than to go buy a new one. Needless to say, I don't feel I can ever replace it. Once you've driven a Linc. Town Car, no compareisons