Used 1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:

Our over glorified Grand Marquis
By Mr. AJ Gee

1992 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

Paint peeling along the bottom of the back fender/bumper is due to the friction from the chrome strip and the paint. Sunroof seal was another issue. The seal has a tendency to shrink at the joint leaving a gap between 1/2 an inch to a full inch depending on the seal. Ours was replaced 23 times during the first four years of ownership. Mechanically, the car is reliable and it does not leak a drop of oil (unlike our Cadillac). Unfortunately fit and finish, materials used and dealer service are not superior when compared to our Cadillac.

Large trunk is a great feature.

Get the dual exhaust; the car needs the extra horses. The acres of plastic wood gets cheesy to look at over time. Brakes seem to wear prematurely and the calipers tend to seize, car may be too big for its braking system. On a final note, improve dealer service.

Living Room on Wheels
By Mid-Life

1992 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

Purchased the TC as an extra vehicle and ended up driving it as a primary vehicle for nearly 50k miles. Very reliable and safe. Extremely comfortable and luxurious...like a living room on wheels. Hate to sell it, but need a lower mileage primary car. Great deals on this vintage TC with low mileage.

Comfortable, leather, sofa-like seats. Air suspension. 4.6L V-8 power. Reliability.

Brakes (improved in '97/98).

My '92 Lincoln's problems
By J. Kerrin

1992 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Cartier 4dr Sedan

The paint peals along the bottom of the back fenders, and around the bumpers. This pealing paint leaves a yellow undercoat showing. I keep watching for a recall on the paint, such as they had with the Ford trucks. I have one set of brake shoes that wear out and come apart while the other 3 sets are still in like new condition. I have to install a new set of brake shoes every 4 to 6 months. My machanic told me there's a defective design in the brake system that causes this problem. I keep watching for a recall on this because it is an expensive and dangerous default in design.

I enjoy the drivers seat adjustment memory. It's wonderful to get in the car, push a button and the seat automaticlly returns to the position I want.

This car is luxury all the way. The only thing I would add is back seat air conditioner vents, and correct the design defect in the brake system.