Used 1990 Lincoln Town Car Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:

just 2 things - Air Bag Shocks
By Bill

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

Drove this car all over Canada and elsewhere.. Had just put in new air bags for the shocks... Which, by the way, is a recurring probem to replace the airbags for the shocks at $500. the bags rub and eventually HAVE to be replaced. How often depends on conditions 45k-80k. Now the $500 airbag motor needs replaced. Starter went out before 80k. The power windows are slow or don't work. Battery sets in opposite direction than most cars. Paint job fades fast, the worst I have ever seen. Interior ceiling falling out. Speaker covers falling off. Everything around the engine will fall off before the engine itself ever dies. This car is a money pit and the low price can easily be $3k+ in repairs.

Great Engine !! Powerful and Fun... A raging bull on the interstate... Large enough for living in... Cheap used car...but with hidden costs.

New Paint Job change window motors replace airbag shocks replace airbag motor doing this will make this car more reliable for appx. 45k-80k miles..

Smartest Car Purchase of my life!
By M Carmon

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 55K on it. Best ride ever, leather seats and 6 way adjustable seats. The air shocks replaced at 115K, water pump is a pain to change. AC needs to be recharged, the ex. temp gauge is defective, etc. All the little things that don't work now still won't make me trade this car. Mileage 27 mpg at 55 mph, 24 at 65. Combined city plus highway is 20.5 MPG. I have 244,500 miles on it, still passes emissions like new, original transmission.

Huge trunk!! This should be a taxi. 5 passengers plus luggage to the airport. Love the computer. Plenty of power for Colorado mountains. I have snow tires all around, roars through the snow. Always starts in cold weather.

Find one with low miles. Change the air shocks, fix the little things, install your own sound system, cup holders, etc. You'll save $10,000's instead of buying a new 2009 or 2010, and your mileage will still be great.

TownCar1
By TownCarOne

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for five years. She is a strong good car and excellent at performance for that type of vehicle. I have had her customed by putting my own paint job on her. I didn't like the original silver/grey look (kinda meloncholy) the 5.0 is very very approiate for the STD model kickbutt passing gear and steady at 55 mph great milage for that size of car! I love the size of the interior (much better than my mom's Oldsmobile!) The trunk space is large enough to hold my toolbox and lots of backpacks (plus i like to lay in it during the summer nights) Although it's a Town Car it's really meant for the interstate.

Kickin 5.0! Comfortable and roomy interior, great highway mileage ( a couple times I've gotten 26.0 highway mpg/ I get 18-20 mpg city. reliability 5 star safety rated vehicle, large opera windows, the style, and paint job!

3 of 4 power windows dont work, one drivers side plug keeps fouling out, original paint jobs need to be better preped in the factory,

Quarter of a million miles and still go!
By Martin Burrow

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

It's like a tank, it continues to run well. I'm hopeful to make it to 300,000 by next year. The engine is still solid. Unless it gets wrecked, I don't see a problem in getting there. Runs well, great on the highway and I'm surprised to get 21 miles per gallon despite the engine size. Not sure I would buy another one used because I would be uncertain of it's maintenance. But, this one is definitely worth keeping around until it dies.

Comfort and stability. With the new, smaller cars on the road, people pretty much get out of your way with this 18 foot monster.

I'm only 37. Why do I love this car?
By gainternetguy

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I bought it from my mother-in-law who wanted a new Honda Pilot. She hates the Pilot; I love the TC. The ride is great and my Dad is 6'6" tall and is able to ride in comfort. Avg 25 mpg on HWY when properly driven. Drives and rides like a dream. Was supposed to be extra vehicle, but I drive it often. I teach school and transport students and luggage. I LOVE the huge trunk. My mother-in-law wants the car back. She can't have it.

Comfort, driveability, safety, decent mpg for a large car, timeless design - a classic. People know that it is a Lincoln. Why do all cars now have to look the same?

Just a few problems. The p/w switches constantly need replacing; the A/C needs recharging each year; the air suspension light comes on and the dealer finds no problem; the outside temp gage always reads -40 degrees (I live in Georgia). I have to be picky to find problems. PW switches are expensive