Used 1990 Lincoln Town Car Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:

Love this car
By Razor

1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier 4dr Sedan

Have had several big Ford products, 71 LTD, 77 LTD, 89 Town Car, now this. They are indestructible. Best engine-transmission combo available. Replaced rear air shocks with Strutmaster kit; HIGHLY recommended. Magnificent ride and handling. 22 mpg mostly city driving with limited S&G. Beautiful design, well cared for by previous owners. transmission overhaul at 140k; 5.0 engine rocks. Few problems now; headliner, one rust spot, some paint fade (my fault). Turns old enough to drink this fall but is a teetotaler regarding oil. 150k now, will likely double it with care and feeding. It might outlive me, and I wouldn't mind being buried in it.

Favorite Features

5.0L engine; AOD tranny; beautiful style in total package.

Suggested Improvements

Make more cars like this and Detroit will become car rock city again.

just 2 things - Air Bag Shocks
By Bill

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

Drove this car all over Canada and elsewhere.. Had just put in new air bags for the shocks... Which, by the way, is a recurring probem to replace the airbags for the shocks at $500. the bags rub and eventually HAVE to be replaced. How often depends on conditions 45k-80k. Now the $500 airbag motor needs replaced. Starter went out before 80k. The power windows are slow or don't work. Battery sets in opposite direction than most cars. Paint job fades fast, the worst I have ever seen. Interior ceiling falling out. Speaker covers falling off. Everything around the engine will fall off before the engine itself ever dies. This car is a money pit and the low price can easily be $3k+ in repairs.

Favorite Features

Great Engine !! Powerful and Fun... A raging bull on the interstate... Large enough for living in... Cheap used car...but with hidden costs.

Suggested Improvements

New Paint Job change window motors replace airbag shocks replace airbag motor doing this will make this car more reliable for appx. 45k-80k miles..

Smartest Car Purchase of my life!
By M Carmon

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 55K on it. Best ride ever, leather seats and 6 way adjustable seats. The air shocks replaced at 115K, water pump is a pain to change. AC needs to be recharged, the ex. temp gauge is defective, etc. All the little things that don't work now still won't make me trade this car. Mileage 27 mpg at 55 mph, 24 at 65. Combined city plus highway is 20.5 MPG. I have 244,500 miles on it, still passes emissions like new, original transmission.

Favorite Features

Huge trunk!! This should be a taxi. 5 passengers plus luggage to the airport. Love the computer. Plenty of power for Colorado mountains. I have snow tires all around, roars through the snow. Always starts in cold weather.

Suggested Improvements

Find one with low miles. Change the air shocks, fix the little things, install your own sound system, cup holders, etc. You'll save $10,000's instead of buying a new 2009 or 2010, and your mileage will still be great.

Tightest Ride I've Ever Owned
By Pork Chop

1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature 4dr Sedan

At first it wasn't my favorite body style, bought it because it was cheap. But boy, how it has grown on me! I'm known to own Fords and my favorite was a '77 LTD, but this one has definitely taken it's place, big time! The tires and Dayton wires add to fun of displaying it, and it is exceptionally clean. Couldn't have found a better car especially for the money I payed. Great investment!

Favorite Features

Digital dash, auto climate control, trunk & interior room, beautiful velour seats, gorgeous paint, wheels and radio, and its numbers matching original. 130,000 mile 302 runs like brand spanking new!

Suggested Improvements

Wish it could have better gas mileage. Should've bought it new.

TownCar1
By TownCarOne

1990 Lincoln Town Car 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for five years. She is a strong good car and excellent at performance for that type of vehicle. I have had her customed by putting my own paint job on her. I didn't like the original silver/grey look (kinda meloncholy) the 5.0 is very very approiate for the STD model kickbutt passing gear and steady at 55 mph great milage for that size of car! I love the size of the interior (much better than my mom's Oldsmobile!) The trunk space is large enough to hold my toolbox and lots of backpacks (plus i like to lay in it during the summer nights) Although it's a Town Car it's really meant for the interstate.

Favorite Features

Kickin 5.0! Comfortable and roomy interior, great highway mileage ( a couple times I've gotten 26.0 highway mpg/ I get 18-20 mpg city. reliability 5 star safety rated vehicle, large opera windows, the style, and paint job!

Suggested Improvements

3 of 4 power windows dont work, one drivers side plug keeps fouling out, original paint jobs need to be better preped in the factory,