New to Hybrid Cars
By dieselfest on
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Just passed 600 miles on new Ultimate Pkg MKZ Hybrid. On short trips about 2 miles I get about 26 mpg. Commute to work 22 miles one way 30City/70Hyw, I get 42 mpg consistently. Strange results considering city should be 41 mpg and thats what the short trips are. If I drive normally meaning faster off the line at stop lights and break later and harder, I can only get about 33 mpg average. This isn't too bad and I can live with those numbers. The car really teaches me how to drive more efficiently. I do go past 65 mph but under 75 on the highway regularly and still get 42 mpg. I find that hard acceleration and hard breaking is my biggest problem.
Favorite Features
Cabin is silent and the THX sound system is nice to listen to. Leather looks and feels luxurious. The seat cooling is too relaxing, I may fall asleep at the wheel. Seats are OK not too plush but does come with lumbar support. Backup camera and a bunch of other tech stuff comes in handy once in a while. I doubled my mpg and downgraded from premium to regular from my last car. I can get 42 mpg easily if I want to now.
Suggested Improvements
Car feels heavy maybe the new batteries on the 2013 model may help with weight. I think the console could use a little more wood trim as standard or at least replace the cheap looking parts. The brakes are grabby. The navigation interface with radio and phone can be cumbersome. The real buttons on console are too small. I keep my keys in my pocket, maybe a more compact key fob that doesn't poke holes. The sun visors are stiff and feel cheap.