Used 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Lincoln MKZ - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MKZ model:

Great car, but.....
By Leon Frank

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There's much to love about this car. The drive train is near flawless and does what you want it to do. It accelerates, holds 80 if you set the speed control for that, and glides at any speed relatively quietly and very smoothly. The Synch system was clearly designed by people who knew they'd never have to drive the car and put up with it. In every case, it defaults to the worst possible option. Most screens are so user hostile, even with the Owner's Manual in front of you, you won't easily set whatever you want to do. There are endless buttons and screen prompts to push. I still can't figure out what happens when you push the phone button on the steering wheel, but it's near useless. Ditto the navigation system. I use a stick to the windshield GPS, but to the amazement of every passenger. The real issue is the climate control system. It performed flawlessly all winter, then when summer arrived, I discovered that whoever designed the vents is 5'2" tall and really does not like people. The vents are stopped at mid level, they cannot be raised to your face or over you. The same with right left adjustment, very limited travel. The real amazement is there is no way to throttle down airflow. Ford should have looked at any other car on the planet to learn how to make vents. This may sound insignificant, but on a really hot day, you'll be fighting with them non stop to get air where you want it, and failing every time. Each of my Toyotas, Prius and Solara before that, had outstanding climate control. Car was comfortable in all weather conditions. That a Lincoln is so uncomfortable in hot weather is a true amazement. Test drive the car on a 95 degree day before you write out a check for one.

Still love it after 1 year
By lfwintx

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm coming up on the one-year anniversary with my crystal champagne 2012 MKZ Hybrid, and I still love the car. With over 8000 miles, the gas mileage continues to improve. Some days I get up to 41 mpg on my 12-mile commute to work on back country roads, where traffic patterns often interfere with smooth driving. The lifetime average of the car is 36 mpg but improving.

It provides a quiet, smooth ride and is fun to drive. The predicted gas mileage was a big factor in my purchase of this car, but the other luxuries and features sealed the deal.

First of all, there should be a 110V plug, just like the one in the 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid. (The MKZ and Fjusion are basically the same car, so there is no reason that the MKZ shouldn't have this.) Secondly, why is the glove box release centered, such that it is far from the driver? Even my 16-year-old Jeep had the release closer to the driver's side, since often it is the driver to wants to open that. (Many of us frequently don't have passengers, for example.)

New to Hybrid Cars
By dieselfest

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just passed 600 miles on new Ultimate Pkg MKZ Hybrid. On short trips about 2 miles I get about 26 mpg. Commute to work 22 miles one way 30City/70Hyw, I get 42 mpg consistently. Strange results considering city should be 41 mpg and thats what the short trips are. If I drive normally meaning faster off the line at stop lights and break later and harder, I can only get about 33 mpg average. This isn't too bad and I can live with those numbers. The car really teaches me how to drive more efficiently. I do go past 65 mph but under 75 on the highway regularly and still get 42 mpg. I find that hard acceleration and hard breaking is my biggest problem.

Cabin is silent and the THX sound system is nice to listen to. Leather looks and feels luxurious. The seat cooling is too relaxing, I may fall asleep at the wheel. Seats are OK not too plush but does come with lumbar support. Backup camera and a bunch of other tech stuff comes in handy once in a while. I doubled my mpg and downgraded from premium to regular from my last car. I can get 42 mpg easily if I want to now.

Car feels heavy maybe the new batteries on the 2013 model may help with weight. I think the console could use a little more wood trim as standard or at least replace the cheap looking parts. The brakes are grabby. The navigation interface with radio and phone can be cumbersome. The real buttons on console are too small. I keep my keys in my pocket, maybe a more compact key fob that doesn't poke holes. The sun visors are stiff and feel cheap.

Smooth Ride
By

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hybrid is the way to go on this model. The ride is very smooth and quiet. Overall, the vehicle is quite refined. I have about 7000 miles on this car and I am averaging 40.5 mpg. I would probable due better, but 95% of my driving is highway. The car has plenty of power for passing, or merging, and handles like a dream. I have owned several Mercedes prior to this Lincoln and they did not drive nearly as nice as this. I would give Mercedes a thumbs up on seat comfort, but that is it. That is not to say the seats on the MKZ are not comfortable, they are, but Mercedes has slightly better side support. Overall, the MKZ is a joy to drive and very reliable!

Slightly larger controls, better storage for sunglasses.

put your doubts behind, get the hybrid
By bbq_pitmaster

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If there's no difference in price why would you want the gas-eating V6? Our average fuel economy is 37.8 MPG and could be better, depending on how much you're pushed in traffic. You do not have to trade off on power, it just comes from another source. It's quiet and responsive; regenerative breaks are great, nice wood trim, more if you get the exec pkg (plus suede inserts); heated and cooled seats; blind spot system is also very helpful. Headroom is not as spacious because of the moonroof. Center console hits the arm just right, the ones on the door are too low, so you rest your arm on the window sill. Decent turning radius, adjustable LED dash display. THX sound is very nice.

great MPG so far, (lack of) gas cap kind of cool, seats very nice, looks very nice; programmable dash allows you to customize display from easy to detailed, center display can split; navigation very good with lane assist; lots of Sirius channels but just listen to a few; voice command does take time to navigate all the menus - do not rush to answer questions or you'll repeat yourself a lot; can cover up cup holders when not used; ambient lighting can switched; back-up camera pretty good as long as it's not raining; rain-sensing wipers are adjustable; when you need engine power to merge onto highway, it's there; end of trip mileage summary

power wheel tilt rather than manual adjust; more headroom, adjustable arm rests on door; more space between cup holders in center console; more shoulder room at B pillar; moonroof shade does not create a light-tight seal; voice recognition for paired phone is terrible, unusual considering how good it is for navigation