Competition to the Germans
By powertrainman on
2011 Lincoln MKZ 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Got delivery of my AWD, 2011 MKZ with 102 executive package. Took my German boss who has a BMW 550i fully loaded for a ride. He couldn't believe it. Germans, and specially my boss are honest in their comments and are not used to giving compliments. He was surprised to say the least. In a nutshell the car is absolutely responsive, a mix between the spark of a BMW and the handling of AWD Audi. My boss compared it to a Mercedes E class for the ride and comfort. The good news is what you get for the money. I cannot tell anything about reliability as the car is brand new, but I am happy with the choice I made.
Favorite Features
The interior is solid with no cheap plastic. Good quality leather surrounds you all around. Great care has given to the interior acoustics without the annoying isolation from the engine or perception to the outside that other luxury sedans may give. The SYNC with voice recognition is much better to work with than the central knob in the BMWs or Audis. I love that there buttons on the dash without having to access SYNC. Love the cooling feature of the luxurious perforated front seats, specially when you live in Southern California. You can have the air conditioner off with the moonroof open and have a cool but. What is not to like in this car? Congratulations to the Ford Engineers!
Suggested Improvements
The SYNC from Microsoft is great but I did not get the new version that will come this summer, a pity but I couldn't wait. The Lincoln badges protrude from the body of the car as well as the "finger lip" from the gas intake. That would create some drag in a wind tunnel test no doubt as well as some level of noise. I would suggest Lincoln use recessed badges like BMW uses to have a smooth surface and a "push down" gas cap. It would be good for the Ford Engineers to do a deal with the Apple guys so my iPod could be displayed with a version of iTunes instead of SYNC, but it is a minor thing.