2012 Lincoln MKX Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Lincoln Mkx - Consumer Reviews

2012 MKX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MKX model:

Sort Reviews by

Worst bang for the buck
By traci8

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle brand new loaded. At 5K miles I had to have the thermostat changed due to vehicle having a short and not starting. At 10K miles the power steering went out and took the vehicle to "Lincoln dealership for repairs and they had to fix the "power steering" over 6 times but would not classify the vehicle as a LEMON as they have experienced Lincoln advisors at the disposal of the service techs. well my car in the shop yet again for the same thing and they had my car for over 2 weeks and I just received a call that I will just have to live with the slight whining noise in the vehicle. Are you kidding me. Lincoln doesn't stand behind their products so please stay away.

I love it!
By kmart220

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Ok, I bought my 2012 MKX used with 18k miles. I've had it 3 weeks now and I am so very happy! I traded a fully loaded Tahoe (which I dearly loved, but was getting up there in miles) and the transition has been a breeze. I rated the car mostly 5's. To me, everything is awesome and I only gave 4's because of 2 superficial reasons. For interior design, it seems perfect besides the radio volume control and the a/c level control. They are a bit funny to operate. Aesthetically, beautiful, but functionally, not perfect. You are supposed to glide your finger across the panel to find your perfect setting and it doesn't function very well. No big deal, really, since there are 2 other options

Favorite Features

The 4 voice control functions work beautifully and I never have to over enunciate to get them to work. I LOVE that I don't have to ever actually touch the key as long as it is in my purse. The navigation is not as good as the older version that is in my husband's 2011n F-150, but it is still reliable. The SUV handles extremely well and really hugs the road. I have the AWD and I have never felt safer when driving through heavy rain with standing water. I could go on and on about the upsides of this car and have not really found many downs. Ford/Lincoln have created a beautiful machine that any person is lucky to be driving. Plus, it is just a SEXY LOOKING CAR! The MKX is perfect!

Suggested Improvements

Offer the same split screen option for nav/audio that was available on the 2011 model Fords. Provide different styling options for the grill. I really like the chrome, but a painted black option would be nice, too. I am considering having mine painted to match the car. Instead of the long, pointy antennae, put a more stealthy, solid one on the roof. Add some "outlet style" plugs like Ford offers in other models. Make them better quality, though. My husband's F-150's plugs are loose and his phone charger (etc) just falls out.

Love my Lincoln hate Navigation
By lyn17

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Lincoln MKX last year and every time I get in this car, I just love it. Great design, easy to drive. The Lincoln SYNC system isn't bad (although designed by Microsoft) as far as my Iphone and blue tooth is concerned but it truly sucks with the Navigation. Most of the time that stupid woman doesn't understand what I'm saying (Calgary). Because she doesn't understand I want to type it in myself and then the battle begins. I would much prefer to use my iPAD and not Lincolns Sync system - much easier to use. The engineers should drop Microsoft and embrace Apple

Favorite Features

Leather seats and heated steering wheel - absolutely the best feature.

Suggested Improvements

Coffee holders are awful - try putting a small Tim's tea in one of them, completely disappears. Needs to be designed like the Cadillac.

"Learning" to love my Lincoln...
By texanson

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Traded my ML350 Benz for this little jewel in April. Drove it off showroom floor. Loaded. All options. Its my second car. The first few months, I did not like this car. I wouldnt drive it. I couldnt figure out how anything worked and was constantly having to actually pull over, and get out the owners manuals and learn how to turn on this or that option. It was very frustrating. However, in time, and after 6000 miles, I have, indeed fallen in love with this car. I find myself chosing to drive it more and more. IT has a learning curve for sure, but with some patience and teaching the old dog new tricks, its a great, fun car, that turns heads, and a real treat to drive,you will learn to love.

Favorite Features

Being a loaded model, it has many options, all of which are fantastic, and makes the cars price tag a true value, if you compare it to other luxury automobiles with the same options. I love the huge skylight sunroof. I love the stereo system, heated rear seats and cooled front seats, and a heated steering wheel is incredible. The adaptive headlamps are awesome. You get so spoiled. Its a looker, the front grill is from yesteryear, and looks great driving down the highway. Love the parking assist, and rearview screen, and blindspot alerts are very acurate. Remote start is beautiful. And the radio will alert you of your favorite song on another station. Just remember there is a lerning curve.

Suggested Improvements

Minor details. BUT...I miss having a digital readout of my speed. If your cruise control is on, a digital readout will appear for your set speed, but, the Benz had a digitial speedometer option, and I really miss having that fast glance. The dashboard has several settings to chose from, Im not crazy about any one single setting, so Ive chose the miles to empty setting as the main choice. AND..one big disapointment, is I thought the adaptive HID headlamps also included the auto high beam option. It doesnt. My old cadillac had that feature, its fantastic to use. As I said, minor details, but can be disapointing if expected. Do your homework on the options, there are many.

What a Rip Off
By mkxripoff

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my Lincoln Navigator for the new MKX due to the gas mileage it advertised. 20 city and 29 hwy. I drive hwy miles 90% of the time and never ever once got over 20mpg. I actually did 65mph for over a month to see if it was my driving and it never changed. I hate the car from every aspect. I wish I had never traded in my Navigator since I got an average of 15mpg and it was a much better vehicle. I feel like I was taken advantage of by Ford. Every manufacturer to step up and do what Hyundai is doing and to reimburse owners and correct their estimates. I am stuck with this car for another two mieserable years. Hate it!

Unbeleiveable value
By omoishiroi

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

the MKX is a bit of a sleeper - we test drove MB, Audi, BMW, Volvo before buying. Simply put to get teh same level of equipment in the equivalent import would push the price into the $70k range IF it is even available. For under $5ok the MKX gives you heated front AND rear seats, cooled front seats, Nav, blind spot and cross traffic warning system, adaptive cruise, HUGE sunroof, adaptive HID headlams, rear view camera, remote start, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, heated and telescopic steering whee and collision controll. Try pricing and Audi, Volvo or BMW with all of those

Favorite Features

Adaptive cruise- if you have never used it before try it. Cooled seats are a must here in AZ. Very impressed with build quality - this is my first American made car (MKX is built in Canada actually) and I this car is very impressive. After 16months not a single issue, rattle or squeak.

Suggested Improvements

seats could be more supportive for long drives. SYNC can be frustrating - needs to be re thought.

Solid, Silent, & Stylish
By pilot_guy

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After 2 months of shopping, we traded in our 8-year old Volvo XC70 for the MKX. It matched our driving style perfectly (suburban errands and roadtrips in Minnesota), and is every bit as solid as our Volvo. Loaded it with every option except the "cargo convenience" package. AWD was a must, as were heated seats. The MKX is only one of the group (Lexus RX350, Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, etc) with the higher ride of an SUV, without the attendant "roll" and bumps. Noticeably quieter than the others. The MYSYNC system works very well, but you MUST have the salesman walk you through the features, and limitations of the voice-activated interface. The two-tone leather interior is sharp. Avg 19 mpg

Favorite Features

MSYNC command: "I'm hungry" It works! Bluetooth interface to iPhone is impressive for calls and music. The Navigation display shows a graphic of the actual highway exit or turnoff sign you're looking for. Rear seats are heated and recline. Push-button seat fold feature seemed extravagant until I had to load groceries in a downpour. Almost zero wind noise, and very little road noise...probably due to 20" wheels. HID headlights that bend into the turn are actually more beneficial than I thought they'd be.

Suggested Improvements

The rear window wiper doesn't fold out, making window cleaning more difficult. Could use a couple more display options for Tach, Fuel, and Temp. The instantaneous MPG display is confusing...and worthless. The DVD describing the systems was useful, but a MYSYNC video would be even more helpful. A few scenes of drivers using the voice interface would help new owners get the nuances and cadence of the system.

Junky Lincoln MKX
By junk12lincoln

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Do NOT buy! We have had our 2012 Lincoln MKX for about 5 weeks and we hate it! The list of problems is long...transmission is slipping, speaker blown (was like that when we picked it up), paint missing on the hood, MYTOUCH won't work, controls on the right hand side of steering wheel don't work and the vehicle keeps looking for the key. We have tried to get all of these issues fixed and the dealership was no help. Finally took it to another dealership but no help. Don't bother calling Lincoln because they have the worst customer service ever! Plus this vehicle gets terrible gas mileage!!! Do not buy this vehicle!!! We can't wait to get rid of it!!!!!!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature will be the day it is not in my garage!!

Suggested Improvements

My suggested improvement would be not to buy one! The list is way to long!!!

Nice Job Lincoln - good Riddance Benz
By vegasboys

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in a Mercedes Benz ML-320 Disel on this car and could not be happier! The Benz was nothing but trouble and they could not get the transmission to work right after at least 20 visits to the garage. It was the 3rd Mercedes I owned and NO MORE. Lincoln has done a great job with the MKX. It's comfortable, smooth and fits me perfectly! I appreciate a comfortable car that does what it's supose to do. The MKX fits the bill. Not to mention the fact that an oil change doesn't cost 250.00 a whack. I'm very satisfied and so glad to get the Mercedes monkey off my back. The MKX is a perfect fit for someone looking for a smaller car than the Navigator (had that before the Benz)

Favorite Features

Love the side indicator lamps in the mirrors. This is a great safety feature. Lincoln's rearview camera is far superior to MB. It's clearer and more proportional than the MB. The ride of the car is better because the ML-320 has flat drive tires because of the Add Blue tank there is no spare tire thus the ride is awful.

Suggested Improvements

The My sink system need some work. It's cumbersome and can be very aggervating. The MB had voice command as well and it too could make you crazy. This technology isn't quite ready for prime time yet. Its vocabulary isn't extensive enough and tries to offer too many functions and does none of them well. All in all though it beats the Benz! I've driven over 1500 miles and haven't had to take it to the garage because it all works as intended. Can't say that for any one of the 3 Benz's I owned.

American car makers need to take some tips from European Car Makers
By beverlyc1

2012 Lincoln MKX SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Well I am SAD to say that I traded off my older 745I for a 2012 Lincoln MKX. The gas mileage sucks! and if you set the climate control on "auto" then you will get A/C even if its 30 degrees outside unless you turn the temps up past 73! Then if you get too warm and try to turn the temp down...watch out A/C comes on again! Think I am getting about 12 miles per gallon and I bought the fanciest one they had with 102 A package but no AWD! So sorry I bought this car and they may get it back! Have had it for 3 weeks and wish now I had bought another BMW! It might cost me more but WOW what a difference. Been waiting 3 weeks for matt in back of SUV, mine had hole, still not fixed!

Favorite Features

Navigation sucks too! My OLD 2003 BMW had better navigation than this 2012! It doesnt even show you the next street or how far away you are to the next exit. FORD you have a long way to go!! Need to take some tips from the Europeans! Sorry there is very little on it that is my favorite other than 2 things my OLD car didnt have yet. Keyless entry and bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system - Should show each exit as you are traveling in the drivers dashboard without having to enter a trip! Who can look at that small screen and tell what's happening! Climate controls - IF it gets too hot inside the car and the temp is turned down, just stop heating and let the car cool down, dont turn on the A/C system! Voice Commands - The system has a very hard time understanding voice commands even when you speak clearly with clear diction. Maybe its because I speak with a southern drawl...LOL. Gas Mileage - Sucks!! Believe I am getting around 12-14 miles per gallon. And a V-6! My previous was a V-8 and it got 26mpg for a BIG CAR!