2012 Lincoln MKT Consumer Review: Do not buy

2012 Lincoln MKT - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (3.5L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic w/EcoBoost)

Do not buy
By zaabby on

2012 Lincoln MKT 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I am very disappointed with this car. It is my fault I bought it however…. It is very uncomfortable on long trips as it is too narrow. The two zone comfort system is a fake; as there is only one fan. Thus the zone with the greatest different control’s the fan. The safety system is silly; it beeps and you get a message on the screen telling to look around. Plus it has lots of other poor design choices. When the wind blows it will whistle, also when someone pass you when the wind blowing it will whistle

Power, mostly quite ride

Add second fan, add icon to safety display that flashes red around the area that has the problem, e.g. left rear.
By whatever19
on 06/25/12 16:39 PM (PDT)

Never thought I would get this car and it is a car. Test drove Q7- LX-460-QX-56 LR4, MDX-The new infiniti J- under powered!! We need three rows. This is a car. Think Volvo XC70 but longer and maybe a little taller- maybe. It is like a town car with three rows but with road feel. If you are going to get a car with three rows it has to be long or it doesn't function. Head room in back is compromised by design but about 5-6 and under is fine with tons of leg room in all three rows. Will have to put some more miles on it and report back. Also the engine spools up the power and it's very fast. You actually have to back off.

By trillerman
on 08/10/12 01:41 AM (PDT)

I'm coming fm an Infiniti FX-35. Much as I appreciated and enjoyed the 35's truly amazing handling, I wanted a less punishing ride (the price for precise handling in the FX was too high in the comfort trade-off arena). Also, the sensitivity of its steering was terrific, right up until one's attention was diverted for just a couple seconds, say to insert a CD, and then, if you weren't alert you'd cross three lanes before you knew it. So, for my next vehicle I wanted more cargo capacity, greater front & REAR seat comfort and a little-less steering sensitivity since it would be used for longer business trips and transporting customers and company execs. The MKT won out based on its roomy FOUR passenger config, reasonable price (when compared to its Euro competitors), its extra HP & torque (a nice kick-in-the-rear when floored), overall high build-quality and GREAT LOOKS! (Okay, the MKT is a love-it-or-hate it proposition, I happen to like its "aggressive" styling.) The engine's "growl" is also particularly satisfying. MKT is a STYLE & PERFORMANCE vehicle. If you want practicality, buy a top-line Flex. But don't buy the MKT for its styling and then complain about its lack of room - its like buying a 'Vette and then bellyaching because it doesn't accommodate two suitcases and two sets of golf clubs. STYLING has its price and it typically does not translate into practicality. My only regret is I would have preferred the individual 2nd row seats and rear-console "fridge", otherwise my compromise goals between ride, handling, comfort, capacity and utility/practicality were achieved via the MKT. I purchased our MKT as a style & comfort vehicle for four (NOT six) individuals. The rear seats are for tailgating only, otherwise they will be stowed for the cargo room. It is an ideal, decent riding (firm but not punishing), spirited-performance (Edmund's reported 0-60 times of 6.3 secs) vehicle that (depending on your personal girth can be "very-comfortable" to "tight". Second row leg-room is surprisingly stretch out. My major complaint is the lack of feel and feedback in the hydraulic steering (the 2013's electric steering should improve this). I wanted two key options that were difficult to find in combination (adaptive cruise and a FACTORY towing package - not just a hitch), but finally managed to locate an MKT with them both - the only frustration was it didn't have my preferred interior color (black) and had to go w/light tan - it's growing on me, as is the "Champagne Tri-Coat" paint, but would have preferred black int w/charcoal ext. If anyone ever told me I'd be driving a car with "champagne" as the color description, I'd call them a damn liar...! But it's true what they say in the car-selling biz - price can overcome almost anything! The color combo, however, is (surprisingly) growing on me. Living in the heat & humidity-intense state of AL helps facilitate my appreciation for a light-colored vehicle. It's nice not to fry a hand on the door or enter a mobile-oven on a typical "scorching" summer day. My only regret is I would have preferred the individual 2nd row seats and optional "fridge/freezer" console, otherwise my compromise goals of ride, handling, comfort, capacity and utility/practicality were nicely achieved via the MKT. ADDENDUM FOR THOSE OF US WHO CARE ABOUT OUR AUTOMOTIVE SOUND SYSTEMS: Finally, as a serious audiophile, I would have preferred for Ford (Lincoln team) to have selected a true high-end audio manufacturer to source a top-quality sound system - especially the speakers - for the MKT. Lincoln's liberal use of the THX logo is only assurance of meeting a "spec" and does NOT infer superior electronics, expanded audio-signal processing/controls and high-quality speakers. THX-certification DOES ensure a defined minimum-performance standard is met (which translates into a better sounding sys) but if one listened to a THX-certified Levinson, Dynaudio or other high-end audio mfg'rs auto electronics & speakers, the difference over the Ford-sourced sys would be staggering! The MKT's optional 5.1 ch THX-cert, 14 spkr/12 ch amp upgrade is certainly an improvement over the base system but, if for example, the quality of FoMoCo speakers in the MKT were to be compared to any of those used in the top-name systems offered in a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, jaws would drop when the non-Ford systems were played. Lincoln's speakers even LOOK cheap - and NOT appropriate for a $50K-plus automobile. The overall lack of quality and sophistication of MKT's speaker array appears to be (what I thought to be a FORMER approach by Detroit bean-counters) an effort to "cheat" on quality where they think it can be gotten away with. If Ford really wants to SELL Lincolns at a premium and not just PRICE them that way, then it must ensure TOP-QUALITY is carried though to EVERY aspect of the vehicle - not just those they think will be noticed. Another example is the 10" woofer in our MKT; it's an utter embarrassment and looks like a "cheapo" spkr out of a 1957 single-spkr mono radio. REALLY SAD FORD! Note to Ford execs - junk the Ford-spec'ed electronics and ultra-cheap speakers and bite the bullet! The MKT (and the entire Lincoln line) deserve better, much, MUCH better! And, who knows, attention to details - ALL details - may result in selling MORE vehicles.