Used 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mark VIII model:

Spike
By Angelsilhouette

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Coupe 2dr Coupe

The rated fuel economy must be average city and highway. When I put it on cruise control at 45mph on the long stretch between Gulf Breeze and Ft. Walton the instant mpg was touching 40mpg. Cruising at ~70 on the highway usually gets me around 27mpg, lately, and the engine is barely ticking over 2000rpm to do so. I prefer my old 93 to my 97, though, it seemed to be assembled with a higher standard.

Favorite Features

Neon tail light, "power dome" hood, HID headlamps, wrap around dash (makes you feel as if the car is embracing you.)

Suggested Improvements

Too late for that. Would be nice to see them actually continue the Mark (Hot Rod Lincoln) series instead of profaning it with SUVs and Saloon cars.

She goes with class for sure!
By B1gDaddy0Wizard

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Coupe LSC 2dr Coupe

I purchased my leaseback Toreador Red used Mark in 1999. It had 24,000 mi. I have run the dickens out of it and she has taken the punishment with ladylike understanding. She is a beauty today in as much as it was the day it was made. The 4.6 DOHC runs like a scaulded dog. The tranny was a bit slushy at first, but I put in a shift kit and now she'll squal the tires between 1st to 2nd shifts. I destroyed the first engine and replaced it at my expense at 108Kmi. The new engine is even stronger than the first, maybe overbored a bit??? This car says luxury from the git-go, and it says successful, fast, and a bit dangerous male or female inside. My wife also loves it and the heated seats.

Favorite Features

My most favorite feature is the timeless body design. My red Mark with the red LCD tail lamps across the back looks almost monochrome in appearance. I have had many strangers compliment me on this automobile. She's a looker and VERY quick, hunkers down nice and stable at 55 and doesn't look back.

Suggested Improvements

Needs limited slip diff, tighter tranny, computer default to non-traction control. Lot of little annoying things have broken: low beams, door handle, sunvisor clip, cup clip, power window button tops, steering wheel adjust button, motor mounts, driver seat, one belt latch, etc. Expensive to repair.

The Black Hole
By Kevin

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Coupe LSC 2dr Coupe

I decided to buy a Mark VIII after driving one from NC to CA for a friend that bought the car off Ebay. I took more than a year to find this car in CA. Most of them are on the east coast it seems. It is a very clean (repainted) two-owner car which had 65k /miles when I bought it 7/2007. The car now has 81k 10 months later. It has had (or has) every single glitch or known problem these cars get. Heater blend door inop, drivers side mirror glass distorted, rear window strip kinked, vibration at 80+ from the driveshaft, rough idle, etc. But everytime I get past a problem and drive the car again, I love it!

Favorite Features

Interior style, power and gas economy, trunk room!

Suggested Improvements

Cannot improve something that has not been produced in nearly 11 model years.

Sporty in style!
By snoopylp

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Coupe LSC 2dr Coupe

I loved the car. It was very speedy! Parts are way too expensive! I pretty much liked everything about the car. But I think when I bought the car it had been wrecked. So I had abnormal problems.

Favorite Features

Speed, sunroof! Stereo. The look.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders no good! Charge less money for replacement parts, like head light bulb,($246 for each dim bulb) Yikes!

Great Car
By Steve

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Coupe LSC 2dr Coupe

I also own 94 Tbird, 00 Mustang GT. This is an awesome car. Bought it with 110000 miles on it and it runs great and looks super. The air suspension failed so I put a standard suspenion under it, so it handles better than my GT. It is pearl white and still turns heads after 10 years. Wish Ford would bring it back. Gas mileage is acceptable, 25 mpg on the highway. I would buy a couple more.

Favorite Features

Design, interior, engine power

Suggested Improvements

Better antenae