Used 1999 Lincoln Continental Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

1999 Lincoln Continental

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (36 reviews )

Best Lincoln I have owned, but not FUN !!
By omarfidel

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I have owned Lincolns, cadys, buicks, an impala, a Taurus, a Ford LTD, and have driven at length a camry solara and a Cady fleetwood Brougham from the early 80s, and a Cady coup devile from 78. RIDE-- This car has the best ride for a long haul of any recent modern car i have been in. I prefer the 78 and 80s cadys for their spongy soft rides !! I have a lot of body aches and pains and so if you have lots of injuries i recommend this car. Germans like hard stiff rides. For the money, under 3000 us dollars i purchased this car in september 2013 with 71,000 miles. It has no problems and is serene.

Favorite Features

Going 80-100 happens in an astounding way. You hardly notice it, ESPECIALLY if you have the music on. Be careful. I can only explain it as LUCK that i have not got a ticket yet. Passing power is VERY good and strangely when i get aggressive with this big old car people tend to back down.

Suggested Improvements

The interior level of road noise is kind of not what i expected. It is louder than some non luxury cars that i have been in or owned. Not wind noise so much as the sound of the pavement. THOUGH i do have a cheaper tire and not a plush expensive tire. BUT i must agree with someone else that it is strange a luxury car have that much noise.

Better than average
By speedboy3000

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

This is my third car, and a hand-me-down from my father. I have been driving it for 3 years now. I hated it when I first got it, as a big, boat like sedan was not fitting for the outdoors man in me. However, it's slowly grown on me. 175,00 miles on it currently, second transmission was replaced at 105,000. The air ride suspension went out on it and replaced with struts. The engine is strong and reliable. The 4 speed transmission was a horrible implementation. It's a beast in the snow, never failed up the ski mountain, and I have nicknamed it "The Snow Boat". Overall, compared to similar age and mileage cars I have seen, this has been, and I swallow my pride to say, superb.

Favorite Features

4.6L V8, Luxury options, Lots of space, Alpine Stereo, Great in the snow, Low drag coefficient, if you take care of it, it takes care of you

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission, more reliable suspension, cheaper parts, not for someone who just wants the basics, great for someone who wants the finer luxuries.

Excellent Value
By bluestreak2

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 from an elderly woman a couple years ago with 40,000 miles on it and have only put $800. dollars into it after 50,000 miles for new Michelins and rotors and pads. Minor glitches I have fixed myself, but no cronic problems. The car now has almost 90,000 miles on it. Am trying to find another one with the center console shifter and a 2002 model.

Favorite Features

Like all the electronic displays and the electronic ride controls. The Quiet ride and the powerful motor gives me complete confidence in safe passing and takeoffs.

Suggested Improvements

None really. I just want another one with the center console for a better armrest and sportier look.

Great Car!
By clujborn

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car 5 years ago and its been the most reliable car we ever had.Its got 152 K miles and no problems.The looks of this car are timeless.I can't believe Edmunds calls it "boxy" what?Its got 4.6 lt v8 @275 hp and gets 25 mpg hwy.Need i say more?Awesome car but transmissions were kind of fragile in this car so make sure you change that trans oil no later then every 30K miles.

Favorite Features

Looks,power,luxury.Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Interior its kind of small for its size really but thats typical for big american cars.@ almost $40 grand a CD player should have been standard huh....?

What's not to like!
By Bill Holt

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1999 Continental about 2 years ago for $7,500. Low mileage on the car when we bought it. We've had no trouble with the car at all. Good power, nice-looking, decent gas mileage, large trunk, comfortable for 5, just the right size.

Favorite Features

Just the right size. Perfect for my wife's tastes.