1999 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (35 reviews )
Better than average
By speedboy3000 on 08/30/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

This is my third car, and a hand-me-down from my father. I have been driving it for 3 years now. I hated it when I first got it, as a big, boat like sedan was not fitting for the outdoors man in me. However, it's slowly grown on me. 175,00 miles on it currently, second transmission was replaced at 105,000. The air ride suspension went out on it and replaced with struts. The engine is strong and reliable. The 4 speed transmission was a horrible implementation. It's a beast in the snow, never failed up the ski mountain, and I have nicknamed it "The Snow Boat". Overall, compared to similar age and mileage cars I have seen, this has been, and I swallow my pride to say, superb.

Excellent Value
By bluestreak2 on 09/04/11 07:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 from an elderly woman a couple years ago with 40,000 miles on it and have only put $800. dollars into it after 50,000 miles for new Michelins and rotors and pads. Minor glitches I have fixed myself, but no cronic problems. The car now has almost 90,000 miles on it. Am trying to find another one with the center console shifter and a 2002 model.

Great Car!
By clujborn on 12/19/10 17:24 PM (PST)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car 5 years ago and its been the most reliable car we ever had.Its got 152 K miles and no problems.The looks of this car are timeless.I can't believe Edmunds calls it "boxy" what?Its got 4.6 lt v8 @275 hp and gets 25 mpg hwy.Need i say more?Awesome car but transmissions were kind of fragile in this car so make sure you change that trans oil no later then every 30K miles.

What's not to like!
By Bill Holt on 07/03/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1999 Continental about 2 years ago for $7,500. Low mileage on the car when we bought it. We've had no trouble with the car at all. Good power, nice-looking, decent gas mileage, large trunk, comfortable for 5, just the right size.

Expensive Upkeep
By NHContinental on 06/14/10 11:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Have 1999 Lincoln Continental, approx. 215,000 miles, second owner - bought with 22,000 miles. Very comfortable during long highway driving but expensive to keep up. On 3rd transmission, replaced water pump, replaced inner and outer tie rods and a bunch of other suspension parts, found out today that it needs ball joints, new serpentine belt and more suspension parts. Estimate I've put about $ 8000. In repairs since 2001 purchase for 21k. Body has held up well, but mechanically it's dollaring me to death.

Mediocre at best
By Mattius Maximus on 03/22/10 09:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Lincoln started sucking it up when they redesigned this car. It's got a good, reliable V8 engine but a 4 speed manual chokes the power. It's luxurious, good stock stereo, and relatively comfortable for long drives. If you are nice to it, it's nice to you. It's no sports car, it's your typical boat of a luxury car with a big engine. I'm not shedding a tear at their discontinuation.

2 good continentals
By Paul on 03/07/10 06:35 AM (PST)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought 2 used continentals. Bought the 1998 model 7 years ago with 50,000 miles, now has 114,000 miles. Only had to replace a coil pack, spark plugs, & spark plug boots. 25 mpg highway, 17 mpg city, awesome car. I bought the 1999 model 3 years ago with 108,000 miles. The original owner towed a big boat, I expect he used overdrive while towing, transmission had to be rebuilt at 125,000 miles and rear sway bar bushings had to be replaced. Replaced several coil packs, spark plug boots, and the rear view mirror because the compass failed.

nice car
By jw on 04/23/09 16:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from my grandmother a month ago and sold my new ES350. Love driving this car. While it is not very sporty and inside storage is non-existent, it has a very smooth ride, it is quiet, and very comfortable. I enjoy driving it and get plenty of compliments.

Owner
By Letitia on 04/03/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

This is the best auto I have ever had in my long lifetime! There are just two suggestions for improvement: 1. the placement of the speedometer is not visabble enough. 2. the headrest is not placed right I owned a Lincoln Town Car prior to this car and of course, the ride is not as comfortable as the Town Car

Decent Car
By Paul on 12/10/08 14:05 PM (PST)

1999 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Tranny fluid must be changed at 50k mile intervals with new filter, not just flushed. Front seat backs have lousy lateral support. Nice inside & outside style. Suspension air bags way better than my 1990 Continental. Rear doors definitely are harder to open from outside than front doors. Compass and "Day-night" fluid in rear view mirror just failed. Top 1/2 of mirror is always bright & bottom 1/2 is dark. With 140k miles, no big repairs yet, although the air bag light is on since when I reclined the driver's seat all the way down - must have pinched a wire. Important: Wet sand the plastic headlight lenses with 1600 grit or finer to restore that new look.