Used 1998 Lincoln Continental Sedan Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

classy looking cloud
By nanci

I bought my Lincoln
5 years back. Its a 98. I was in need of a car asap since mine went. I had a Lincoln twice before and a Cadillac twice. I knew i wanted one of those. I dont care about all the technology and bluetooth, fancy stereo etc... of a new car. So that being said a nice car that I could afford CASH, suited me fine. It's all I needed. Clean, well built, roomy, Smooth, stylish, and turns and parks easily. People ask how I can drive such a big car and I say it's as easy to drive as any small car I've driven. I drive to work with my coffee and as I sip it, I can turn on a dime with one hand. Parks into parking spaces easily. I dont feel bumps in the road with it. When I trade vehicles with My husband and use the Expedition I feel the bumps. Bumps I didnt know were there until I use the Expedition. The trunk is very roomy so long distance trips are no problem packing the trunk full. The heat is wonderful. Heats up fast....I have to turn it down in a bit. The air is cold. The one problem I had is the windshield must have been replaced because when I bought it, it had a bang slightly in the fender. I didnt care, wasnt that noticable, but I think they replaced the windshield because when it rains the floor carpeting is wet on passengers side. Cant tell where its comming in at. The shop said must not be a good repair and wasnt sealed good when window was put in. Im thinking thats why it was sold. so when it rains I had to park in the carport or stop at the car wash and vac the floor dry. Recently the tranny light came on three times. said to check it. I did and fluid was good. then one day it came on,, fluid was low. I added it. By night time the light came on again....this time it started bucking slightly. No shop around me wants to mess with it because they say they think its a foreign transmission....and a pain. With 133K I think I am junking it tommorrow. A sad thought. Im sure I can call the Lincoln dealer about a new transmission, but one mechanic said the car is at its life range so I dont want to replace that...then have the motor break. It has served me well. There are other cars out there that have more closer to 30 mpg....at the time gas is important so Im debating do I want to go for class and comfort or gas efficiency. Its very hard to choose.....because my Lincoln is a dream car!!

Nice Car but beware
By valkarie

1998 Lincoln Continental Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Continental with 100k miles on it.
I love the way it handles and the gas mileage is not to bad average 22.9.
Premium fuel is expensive.
Beware of the suspension. Rattle in the rear end can cost you over 1200 bucks. I had to replace my AC, Charging system, Battery, Tire rod ends wiring harness, all the pulleys and belts about 3k worth of work in 45k miles.
It does not hold an alignment well and eats tires.
The resale is TERRIBLE. I have 146k on mine now and lucky to get $1700 bucks RETAIl. I had a Grand Marquis before this and I am picking up my Town Car tommorow.
I am done putting money in a hole.
Although you can buy these cheap beware they can get very expensive.

It handles great. Plenty of power rides nice.

Second Lincoln I've Had
By M Olson

1998 Lincoln Continental Sedan 4dr Sedan

Our first Lincoln was a 1987 and we traded it in for the 1998 only because we had put almost 185000 miles on it. We really never had a problem with the 1987 except for replacing the front and rear airbags. (ouch $1,500.00) for for front and same for rear. Our 1998 we have had only 1 major problems is all, (replaced front sway bar) other than that we just have done regular maintenance (oil changes every 3000 miles, rotate tire every 4000 miles and etc.) Always garage kept and washed and waxed regularly. This car rides and drives like a dream. Plenty of power when you need it and you seem to float down the highway.(Because of it being white lots of people on interstate think it's a cop car.)

Looks, styling, comfort, and of course POWER. Really a joy to drive with plenty of room for others.

Redesign the cup holders upfront, so that if you put something smaller than a cup in holder, such as a bottle of water it will stay in place. Starting to get some rust in rear outer wheel well. Need to get water out of this area better.

Still Going Strong!
By bigB

1998 Lincoln Continental Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was ten years old and had 86000 miles on it. I must say I wasn't looking for a Lincoln, but it was sitting next to the car I was looking at, and after checking it out on Edmund's, went back to test drive it. Wow, what a car! 21 mpg in town, and 25 on hwy! Had to have the rear air suspension R&R and went with a retro fit set of springs which the local ford dealer installed after I purchased them online. One of the best cars I've owned.

Comfortable for a 6'5" driver. Fit and finish (paint still looks great) Gets up and scoots. Runs on regular gas. Smooth ride. Doesn't show it's age styling wise.

If Ford were still making this vehicle I would suggest more sound insulation from the road noise. Other than that, nada.

Great car if your rich
By Dr Rocket

1998 Lincoln Continental Sedan 4dr Sedan

Excellent car but repairs are very expensive. Plenty of power but interior gadgets are confusing. Gas mileage is good for a v8. Much better then new lincolns.

4.6 v8 275 horse power