1998 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Nice Car but beware
By valkarie on 10/27/11 22:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Continental with 100k miles on it. I love the way it handles and the gas mileage is not to bad average 22.9. Premium fuel is expensive. Beware of the suspension. Rattle in the rear end can cost you over 1200 bucks. I had to replace my AC, Charging system, Battery, Tire rod ends wiring harness, all the pulleys and belts about 3k worth of work in 45k miles. It does not hold an alignment well and eats tires. The resale is TERRIBLE. I have 146k on mine now and lucky to get $1700 bucks RETAIl. I had a Grand Marquis before this and I am picking up my Town Car tommorow. I am done putting money in a hole. Although you can buy these cheap beware they can get very expensive.

Second Lincoln I've Had
By M Olson on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Our first Lincoln was a 1987 and we traded it in for the 1998 only because we had put almost 185000 miles on it. We really never had a problem with the 1987 except for replacing the front and rear airbags. (ouch $1,500.00) for for front and same for rear. Our 1998 we have had only 1 major problems is all, (replaced front sway bar) other than that we just have done regular maintenance (oil changes every 3000 miles, rotate tire every 4000 miles and etc.) Always garage kept and washed and waxed regularly. This car rides and drives like a dream. Plenty of power when you need it and you seem to float down the highway.(Because of it being white lots of people on interstate think it's a cop car.)

Still Going Strong!
By bigB on 07/01/10 13:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was ten years old and had 86000 miles on it. I must say I wasn't looking for a Lincoln, but it was sitting next to the car I was looking at, and after checking it out on Edmund's, went back to test drive it. Wow, what a car! 21 mpg in town, and 25 on hwy! Had to have the rear air suspension R&R and went with a retro fit set of springs which the local ford dealer installed after I purchased them online. One of the best cars I've owned.

Great car if your rich
By Dr Rocket on 06/23/10 16:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Excellent car but repairs are very expensive. Plenty of power but interior gadgets are confusing. Gas mileage is good for a v8. Much better then new lincolns.

pile of junk
By unhappy owner on 05/13/10 16:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought my Continental with 56,000 miles and within a week I had to replace a coil, 200 dollars at the dealer. The next year interior rear view mirror liquid crystal failed. 400 dolars to replace which I did not replace. the third year at 86,000 miles had to rebuild the transmission, 2650 dollars. the follawing years I replaced the alternator, $400 water pump,$400, rackin pinion, $800 powerstreeing pump $800, all the pulles,$300 the electric fan assembly because you can not buy a single fan,$750, back calipers over $600, torsion bars, $ 400 and now the the ball joints and bushings, $800. Never again will I buy a Ford. They have proven to me to be absolute junk. Don't but one. . . .

LOVE MY HOT ROD LINCOLN
By Don Spry on 05/07/10 09:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Arizona in summer, 2008. It had 85k on it. It was during the time of rising gas prices at $4/gallon and paid $5000. Having never owned a Lincoln, I thought now was the time to give it a whirl. The car is stunning to look at - with a Southwest Edition update. Folks tell me regularly how beautiful it looks. It is red, cream interior,cream faux convertable top, wrapped in chrome, and has some faux gold trim too. Very fetching. I have now driven the car 35k. Only problem was a minor sensor with the tranny that cost $10. The vehicle average about 20 mpg, which is okay for me. Biggest problem I have with it is the suspension. It bottoms HARD.

one of the best cars everrr
By cole on 02/23/10 23:19 PM (PST)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

i bought this car in 2004 with just over 40000 miles when i was only 18 years old, it was and still is my first car.you can't imagine what i have don to that car , two words (extreme abuse) cus i used to drive really really fast. i really admire the heavy engineering of this car. A++++++++++++++++

Comfort without style
By gplant on 08/18/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Absolutely comfortable car to drive. Fantastic fuel mileage for a big car with a V8 (22 mpg combined)! Not much to look at, but reliable and comfortable. Will do whatever you ask it to. I will get rid of it when it dies. I will probably cry a lot.

troubles,troubles for my 98 lincoln cont
By ray suto on 04/13/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I have since 12/02 out of my pocket apprx $3600 in repairs to my 98 Lincoln Cont....I bought it with 58,000. It now has 112,500 mi as of 4- 13-09. Additionally, under warrenty, $1800 was incurred. In 2007 I spent $400 for body work. Totally, not counting normal oil changes and tires, this vehicle has apprx $6000 in repairs and body work. Included in repairs wass a $1300 transmission (2008) 111,000mi. Ignition coils, actuator, brakes (twice) front and back. rotors, etc. front coil spring broke, ball joints, tie rods, speed sensors, knuckle front wheel, etc, etc......Pretty expensive for any auto. Not a happy camper.

what a buy
By janice on 03/19/09 12:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

we bought this lux.car with 64,000 for less than 5000. people at my husbands job were saying who got the new lincoln, and when he said it was 11 years old now body believed him,,they actually looked at the inspection sticker...it is such a pleasure to own this luxury car, handles great all the giggits and gaggets and very roomy, love the heated seats great car