Used 1998 Lincoln Continental Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )

Nice Car but beware
By valkarie

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Continental with 100k miles on it. I love the way it handles and the gas mileage is not to bad average 22.9. Premium fuel is expensive. Beware of the suspension. Rattle in the rear end can cost you over 1200 bucks. I had to replace my AC, Charging system, Battery, Tire rod ends wiring harness, all the pulleys and belts about 3k worth of work in 45k miles. It does not hold an alignment well and eats tires. The resale is TERRIBLE. I have 146k on mine now and lucky to get $1700 bucks RETAIl. I had a Grand Marquis before this and I am picking up my Town Car tommorow. I am done putting money in a hole. Although you can buy these cheap beware they can get very expensive.

It handles great. Plenty of power rides nice.

Second Lincoln I've Had
By M Olson

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Our first Lincoln was a 1987 and we traded it in for the 1998 only because we had put almost 185000 miles on it. We really never had a problem with the 1987 except for replacing the front and rear airbags. (ouch $1,500.00) for for front and same for rear. Our 1998 we have had only 1 major problems is all, (replaced front sway bar) other than that we just have done regular maintenance (oil changes every 3000 miles, rotate tire every 4000 miles and etc.) Always garage kept and washed and waxed regularly. This car rides and drives like a dream. Plenty of power when you need it and you seem to float down the highway.(Because of it being white lots of people on interstate think it's a cop car.)

Looks, styling, comfort, and of course POWER. Really a joy to drive with plenty of room for others.

Redesign the cup holders upfront, so that if you put something smaller than a cup in holder, such as a bottle of water it will stay in place. Starting to get some rust in rear outer wheel well. Need to get water out of this area better.

Still Going Strong!
By bigB

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was ten years old and had 86000 miles on it. I must say I wasn't looking for a Lincoln, but it was sitting next to the car I was looking at, and after checking it out on Edmund's, went back to test drive it. Wow, what a car! 21 mpg in town, and 25 on hwy! Had to have the rear air suspension R&R and went with a retro fit set of springs which the local ford dealer installed after I purchased them online. One of the best cars I've owned.

Comfortable for a 6'5" driver. Fit and finish (paint still looks great) Gets up and scoots. Runs on regular gas. Smooth ride. Doesn't show it's age styling wise.

If Ford were still making this vehicle I would suggest more sound insulation from the road noise. Other than that, nada.

Great car if your rich
By Dr Rocket

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Excellent car but repairs are very expensive. Plenty of power but interior gadgets are confusing. Gas mileage is good for a v8. Much better then new lincolns.

4.6 v8 275 horse power

less gadgets

pile of junk
By unhappy owner

1998 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought my Continental with 56,000 miles and within a week I had to replace a coil, 200 dollars at the dealer. The next year interior rear view mirror liquid crystal failed. 400 dolars to replace which I did not replace. the third year at 86,000 miles had to rebuild the transmission, 2650 dollars. the follawing years I replaced the alternator, $400 water pump,$400, rackin pinion, $800 powerstreeing pump $800, all the pulles,$300 the electric fan assembly because you can not buy a single fan,$750, back calipers over $600, torsion bars, $ 400 and now the the ball joints and bushings, $800. Never again will I buy a Ford. They have proven to me to be absolute junk. Don't but one. . . .

Power

Stop selling these pieces of junk. Oh, that's right, Ford has already stopped selling these things. Thank God . . .