1997 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )
5 years of ownership
By scopen on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Great power for a big car. Great trunk size. I always had trouble with brakes every 20M miles. rear view mirror stopped working and will cost $500 to replace. I haven't, still looking for a used one. Other than that, still a great car. I have 95M now. I'd buy another one, but they stopped making them.

Don't brother with this one...
By Frank on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I enjoy driving this car. For a large car the handling and acceleration are wonderful. However, I have just been told that the transmission needs repaired...for the 3rd time. This will be my last Ford product. Enough said.

HOT ROD LINCOLN
By DUANE ASHMORE on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

THIS CAR MAKES DRIVING FUN AGAIN.THE PEOPLE WHO CAME UP WITH THE PHRASE 4DSC {FOUR DOOR SPORTS COUPE }DO NOT HAVE A CLUE UNTIL THEY HAVE DRIVEN A LINCOLN CONTINENTAL.THIS CAR GETS EXCELLENT GAS MILEAGE ,ABOUT 19 OR 20 IN THE CITYAND UP TO 29 ON THE HIGHWAY. NOT BAD FOR A 2 1/2 TON V8.

Good used car
By Otis Campbell on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when it was 2 years old for 20K. Had 2 years left on warranty, which I only used to have the rearview mirror replaced (seems to be a chronic problem with these cars). Car has been reliable, gets up and goes, and gets good mileage considering the size and power. Its a geezer car, but I don't care

great alternative to Taurus
By km on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Bought it at half price (got to love that depreciation.) Very comfortable and I absolutely love the exterior design. It has great acceleration with the V8, and you're doing 80 before you know it. I get about 24 mpg on the highway, about 20 in the city. Auto-dimming rearview mirror had to be repaired at 54000. Wrecked it shortly thereafter, both airbags deployed and worked fine. Dashboard designed to deploy airbags without self-destructing, which would have totaled it out. Replaced steering pump 1 yr later (under ext. warranty) but this may have been damaged in the wreck. I love this car, even though I'm 32, and will buy another Lincoln, but will get a good 3rd party ext. warranty.

1997 Lincoln Continental - a great car.
By Barb on 03/16/02 16:35 PM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

This is a nice, solid, dependable, good on gas for the size car. There is plenty of luxury in itand I found the best buy for the money was this car (I bought it off lease with a few miles on it). Nevertheless, this car is really comfortable, and it can get onto a highway with the shortest of ramps and out of anyone's way with ease. Surprisingly, it got better gas mileage than advertised. In 3 years nothing needed service beyond the norm. I also felt that this was a very safe car to have kids in, especially because it has 5 shoulder straps.