Used 1997 Lincoln Continental Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

1997 Lincoln Continental

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

WOW was I disappointed
By peter_0928

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I am only 18 and this is the second car I've gone thru. I had a 98 camry that tranny blew out on so I got this off craigslist. The only good thing i can say is I spent 900 bucks on it. Were do i begin, the day after I bought it the drivers window went then a few days later the o2 senors went within the weeks after that problems ranging from a faulty alarm to the air suspension breaking. As of today I bought another car making this my third car in my only short year of driving. I thought the continental would be a great buy with the nice luxurious feel but boy was i wrong. This weekend i will be junking the car getting what I can for it. got it with 144,590 junking it with 145,718.

Favorite Features

only the seats

GOOD for the USED PRICED
By jayjay2008

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

i brought this car at 97k used im the second owner. with in the second week of buying it the trans just went out..not signs no nothin..i replaced the trans then 2 months later ther water pump went out ..then the thermostat the from there on with in the next 2 years my whole front end was changed from sturts ball joints tie rods starter alternator .my motor mounts went bad..im thankful my air bags didnt go out on my shocks radiator......almost 3 years later 30000 k miles later...i need a new transmission at 127k but its been slipping since 115 k this car has been hell....but at the same time i love it for its performance and comfort

Favorite Features

smooth ride, comfort and performance if you keep the right fuel oil changes transmission changes and small add on like k&n cold air intake and dual flowmasters this car will flys

Suggested Improvements

dont buy one unless its under 2000k at atleast 110 miles

Good car
By ale11

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I got this care used with 350,000 KM on it as I needed a cheap car for a new driver in my family. Paid just1,000 bucks for it. The engine still runs like a clock, tranny is still OK; hope the tranny will last for couple of more years... Evrything (except driver's eat not being heated and the rear window) is working in this 14 year old car!!! It has lots of power and cruising nicely on the highway. My family loves this car and prefers to drive it to a much newer ones! I've had to fix the rocker panels as they were rusted through, painted the car and it looks very good now. I know it is old, but I still can't think of it as a clunker... Gas milege in the city is a pain of course with gas $

Favorite Features

Lots of room, enough power, good seats, big trunk

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't spend 40,000 K on this car when new... for that money one can find a sharper one.

Love my Lincoln Continental
By metalwych

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lincoln Continental with 81000 miles, and this car is awesome! It was 12 years old, and it runs like a champ. I got it for a steal...$3000. This car is the most awesome car I have owned. I came from a Taurus SHO (which I love still) and this car rides like its on a pillow. I love that I can adjust everything (ride, steering, seats, sunroof, etc). If you can find one for a steal, pick it up. I now have 185,000 miles, and it still runs like a champ. And, everyone thinks its only 2 years old. I pamper my cars. Nothing better than a Ford product!!! I get 19.8 MPG city, 29.7 MPG hwy. Out of a V8...purely awesome!

Favorite Features

Ford Cars. Lincoln Cars.

Suggested Improvements

It would be great if I didn't have to use super unleaded. Other than that, I have no issues...

1997 Lincoln Continental Base
By hmeister

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Bought with 37k miles and car was only driven 2800 miles per year. Florida car and I have driven 10k in the first year. Car has plenty of power and runs great on the 4.6L 32 valve. Transmission was changed out but sometimes hunts for the OD gear on highway. Tracking on car at highway speeds is wonderful. Assisted steering is great. No stress driving long miles on highway. 26MPG on highway and 19MPG around town. Ride comfort is 10 out of 10. I changed out the original tires as they were dry rotted and replaced with Michlin MXV4 - drives even better! 13 year old car and very little so far for issues. Tie rods are dry and will be replaced soon. Very common on this car.

Favorite Features

Favorites: Ride on highway Interior seats for comfort Dash lights are easy to see Center console is comfortable 3 stage pearl paint is beautiful

Suggested Improvements

AX4N tranny which is same as Taurus and Windstar is a weak link. Regular service of AX4N tranny at minimum with perhaps more frequent changes. My Taurus has same tranny and you have to change this unit out more frequently than recommended interval to maintain these units.