1997 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
WOW was I disappointed
By peter_0928 on 11/14/11 20:57 PM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I am only 18 and this is the second car I've gone thru. I had a 98 camry that tranny blew out on so I got this off craigslist. The only good thing i can say is I spent 900 bucks on it. Were do i begin, the day after I bought it the drivers window went then a few days later the o2 senors went within the weeks after that problems ranging from a faulty alarm to the air suspension breaking. As of today I bought another car making this my third car in my only short year of driving. I thought the continental would be a great buy with the nice luxurious feel but boy was i wrong. This weekend i will be junking the car getting what I can for it. got it with 144,590 junking it with 145,718.

GOOD for the USED PRICED
By jayjay2008 on 11/08/11 17:38 PM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

i brought this car at 97k used im the second owner. with in the second week of buying it the trans just went out..not signs no nothin..i replaced the trans then 2 months later ther water pump went out ..then the thermostat the from there on with in the next 2 years my whole front end was changed from sturts ball joints tie rods starter alternator .my motor mounts went bad..im thankful my air bags didnt go out on my shocks radiator......almost 3 years later 30000 k miles later...i need a new transmission at 127k but its been slipping since 115 k this car has been hell....but at the same time i love it for its performance and comfort

Good car
By ale11 on 10/20/11 17:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I got this care used with 350,000 KM on it as I needed a cheap car for a new driver in my family. Paid just1,000 bucks for it. The engine still runs like a clock, tranny is still OK; hope the tranny will last for couple of more years... Evrything (except driver's eat not being heated and the rear window) is working in this 14 year old car!!! It has lots of power and cruising nicely on the highway. My family loves this car and prefers to drive it to a much newer ones! I've had to fix the rocker panels as they were rusted through, painted the car and it looks very good now. I know it is old, but I still can't think of it as a clunker... Gas milege in the city is a pain of course with gas $

Love my Lincoln Continental
By metalwych on 01/17/11 23:03 PM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lincoln Continental with 81000 miles, and this car is awesome! It was 12 years old, and it runs like a champ. I got it for a steal...$3000. This car is the most awesome car I have owned. I came from a Taurus SHO (which I love still) and this car rides like its on a pillow. I love that I can adjust everything (ride, steering, seats, sunroof, etc). If you can find one for a steal, pick it up. I now have 185,000 miles, and it still runs like a champ. And, everyone thinks its only 2 years old. I pamper my cars. Nothing better than a Ford product!!! I get 19.8 MPG city, 29.7 MPG hwy. Out of a V8...purely awesome!

1997 Lincoln Continental Base
By hmeister on 06/19/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Bought with 37k miles and car was only driven 2800 miles per year. Florida car and I have driven 10k in the first year. Car has plenty of power and runs great on the 4.6L 32 valve. Transmission was changed out but sometimes hunts for the OD gear on highway. Tracking on car at highway speeds is wonderful. Assisted steering is great. No stress driving long miles on highway. 26MPG on highway and 19MPG around town. Ride comfort is 10 out of 10. I changed out the original tires as they were dry rotted and replaced with Michlin MXV4 - drives even better! 13 year old car and very little so far for issues. Tie rods are dry and will be replaced soon. Very common on this car.

1997 Lincoln Continental
By dbel on 04/27/10 02:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Nice car....bought recently with low miles 76k....idles extremely smoothly....lots of power....great gas mileage...22.7 average..mostly highway....cruises well at 74mph....very pleased so far with the car.

Don't make them like this anymore
By rich on 08/03/09 07:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I have 113,000 miles & except for tune ups (which I do myself) & a paint job, the car runs great. It's fast (4.6v8) yet I get 17mp city & 24hwy, for a 1997 it still purrrrs like new. Also I change the oil & filter every 3 thousand miles.

Fun Drive, Fun Ride
By robertkelly on 10/23/08 15:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

A super car. I owned a 1993 Continental and felt it was underpowered, with the V-8 the problem was solved. The car was purchased new and presently has 146,000 miles.It runs great. The only major problem is the electrical; always a door ajar and the interior lights stay on. Help! I have replaced a hub bearing, starter, alternator, brakes, and power steering pump.

A great second owner car!
By Bob on 01/17/08 17:24 PM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

This is the best overall car we have ever owned. A great used car bargin!At over 40K new the interior build quality is not there. We have put almost 100K on our car and other than replacing most of the front suspension parts we have had no problems. At about 80K miles parts of this car will let you know it was built in the Dearborn area! We would buy another if they still produced them.

john
By johng on 12/02/06 14:14 PM (PST)

1997 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Enjoyed the pick up and reliability of the vehicle. the pearl finish was excellent except for some paint peeling on the door bumpers. The select areas for fiberglass was a good choice and eliminated any potential rust areas. The auto recall on the seats was enormously helpful since I've driven some without.