1996 Lincoln Continental - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )
Loved it while owned
By cali_951 on 01/18/14 22:07 PM (PST)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Bought one at 112K in 2003. Had 166K when decided to dump it due to suspension going bad for a 3rd time. Tuned it up once & hadn't changed the oil for a good year or so. Replaced tires once. Head liner started falling apart around 130K & the HORRIBLE air suspension. Other than that, no tranny or engine or anything falling apart aside from the liner as i mentioned before. Drove it numerous times from North Carolina to Georgia without any problems. Highway gas mileage great for a fast V8, the city was about 15-17 depending how you drive it. Will I by again...if I change the suspension I would

Air Bag Suspension expensive to replace.
By missybee on 08/10/10 13:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle used and had put about 12,000 miles per year on it. At the 130,000 mark everything fell apart. Pieces of the interior are falling apart such as the wood like lining on the front doors. Parts are expensive and difficult to get. The air bag suspension is terrible, tiny tears in the bags put pressure on battery to refill, alternator, and generator. These things need continually replaced. New suspension is upwards of $4500 at dealership. Or get proper suspension for closer to $3000.

Great trip car
By deluxreverb on 08/02/09 21:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a friend that had the lockup solenoid changed in the trans. She still had an intermittent problem. After a few days driving it started working fine. No problems in 3 years 130,000. 22mpg at 70mpg. Cars is fast for small 8 and 3800+ lbs. The clear coat is starting to deteriorate since the black car has been in the sun a lot. I would own another.

Hunk of Junk
By Hunk of Junk on 06/04/09 19:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

The 1st few years this car was great,purchased with 30k on car & still smelled new! Well all was great until 80k & tie rods & air ride went out! Purchase coil over & got rid of air ride! Well the car is on the 3rd alternator & one starter & horn,abs,airbags dont work & when you get the check engine light solved by repairs a few days later something else is wrong with car! I hate this car & since it was american made the value is bad to sell!! I call it the stinken lincoln!!

Lincoln Continental
By Continental on 11/06/08 21:07 PM (PST)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I have been extremely pleased with this car in the time i have owned it. The car has more than enough power and is very comfortable. It has every option i could ask for from the power moonroof to climate control. The driver is also able to select if they want certain options on or off like reverse mirrors, auto running lights, express mirrors, ect. Also the firmness of the suspension and steering effort is adjustable.

Black Beauty Conti
By Glenn on 03/21/08 10:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Lincoln Continental with 25K miles on it. Presently, I have 79K on it. The vehicle loves to cruise the highways and is not an around town vehicle. On one trip to NC from CT, I got 27 miles to the gallon. Summer driving merits better gas mileage than winter. The vehicle was engineered for super premium only fuel which is expensive at the time of this writing. There has been no recalls on this vehicle to my knowledge. The body is extremely resilient and sturdy. The front end tends to be disappointing and Lincoln allowed a huge repair on the rack and pinion at about 40000K. The air sensors in the wheels can be a pain and if you have problems with them, bring the car to a dealer.

My Lincoln Experience
By Lisa Clemmons on 04/07/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I love having a Lincoln Continental because it's the smoothest driving car that I have owned. The ride is so smooth and sometimes I have to remind myself to watch my speed. I enjoy the fact that it is so roomy and the best part is the car remebers the difference between driver one and driver two. like the fact that I don't have to keep adjusting my seat and other things when I get into the car. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it is very costly on gas. However, I still love taking this car on the highway on long trips because it's easy riding. Love my Lncoln.

Excellent value
By jung on 09/13/06 20:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

continentals are an undervaued car. If you are in the market for a comfortable, reliable car, this may be one to look for. Plus, mine gets almost 27 mpg on the highway!

Anniversary Edition N Showroom Condition
By RAIDERS5000 on 02/10/06 02:44 AM (PST)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

I traded in my 93 Lincoln Town Car for this model.It's still in showroom condition.But what's amazing about this vechile is how advanced it is.You would swear that the Diamond Aniversary Edition didnt come out til 2000 or later. It's got more gadgets than a space shuttle. The comfort is outstanding. The performance is unmatched and the handling is superb. Nice size power moonroof,great factory JBL sound system with CD changer, quiet cabinet interior and an engine that can flat out run! Excellent gas mileage. 26-27 miles on hwy. Trunk space galore. Drivers side seating feels like a recliner in the game room.Compass in rearview mirror too. The only missing in my Continental is heated seats.

Best Car I've EVER been in!
By Lincolnlover on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan

Smooth ride and comfortable for all passengers. Great pickup. Clean, no frills exterior design keeps car from looking dated. My vehicle has been well maintained and I have not had any interior or exterior problems.