Used 2003 Lincoln Aviator Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lincoln Aviator - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aviator model:

Stay Away!
By Kamil

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Rides nice, comfort and luxury, but American car makers still have a long way to go! This car is very unreliable, had so many issues, transmission, heated seats, fog lights, torque converter, remote starter. Americans can create nice options but can't seem to make them last. The car has 54k and has problems like it was over 150,000! The electronics stink on this thing. Every fuse or some module goes every month. It's still under warranty, and that's how I will sell it!

It's pretty fast when it's not in the shop.

Dependability, electronics, reliability, 12.2 mpg also needs to be worked on!

Another Lincoln Lemon
By None

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I liked the look and the interior, so I bought one used with 60k mi. However, 4 months out of the dealer and I'm looking at $1500 of repairs on various plastic engine parts that have deteriorated. It took the dealer nearly a week to diagnose. Conveniently these aren't covered under their useless extended warranty. One of the rear doors doesn't unlock. I got the metal panel crack underneath the tailgate window that I read many others got within 3 months. Fuel mileage dips into single digits in city driving. Oh well, another Ford, another shoddy car. At least it's not a Chrysler or the bumpers would be falling off by now.

5 years and still loving it
By Cory

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I have driven this '03 for five years now with no serious problems. Has plenty of horsepower and has handled well in all weather conditions. A few small maintenance issues such as a faulty door or lift gate sensor that has the vehicle thinking a door is open (dome light stays on) and a reverse sensor is out. I've owned foreign vehicles that have had less maintenance visits to the dealership but none of them have matched the comfort, styling and overall driving experience. Would like to see better gas mileage but what do you expect for an AWD SUV?

My favorite features would have to be the stereo, climate controlled seats and overall appearance (both interior and exterior). The vehicle still looks as classy as the day I purchased it!

Third row seat when folded down is not perfectly flat. When folded down, the angle is such that groceries or other items in the cargo area will tend to roll out the back when the gate is lifted.

Great SUV: they should still make them
By Steve B

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The is an excellent riding & handling vehicle that Lincoln should still be manufacturing. I bought it new and have had a few mechanical problems I wouldn't have expected, like replacing the transmission after 100k miles! Overall, a great SUV.

The interior design is terrific and still better looking than most new cars today.

Better transmission.

Aviator Owner's Review
By Tim

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Its reliability is outstanding. Its power and handling is on par with the BMW-X5, and its quieter. I now have 82,000 miles on the vehicle and it runs as well as it did when I bought it. The best way to describe it is it's still tight. No rattles. No loose parts. No electrical gremlins. At 60,000 miles I used the Aviator to tow a small car from southern Calif. to Las Vegas. I was pulling approximately 3,600lb and it didn't break a sweat. I even averaged 17 mpg. I disagree with the comment about lacking refinement compared to European SUVs. The Aviator set a new standard for affordable luxury. I paid $10K less than a similarly equipped BMW!

Excellent power. Quiet ride at highway speeds. Strong a/c / heating system. It cools or heats the truck quickly. Great sound system. The backup warning beeper is a can't-do-without feature. Every vehicle should have one. Visibility is also great. Good idea - storage compartments in the elbow rests.

More leg room in second row can be accommodated by scaling-down the backrest on the front seats.