2003 Lincoln Aviator - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aviator model:
Another Lincoln Lemon
By None on 11/06/08 09:14 AM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I liked the look and the interior, so I bought one used with 60k mi. However, 4 months out of the dealer and I'm looking at $1500 of repairs on various plastic engine parts that have deteriorated. It took the dealer nearly a week to diagnose. Conveniently these aren't covered under their useless extended warranty. One of the rear doors doesn't unlock. I got the metal panel crack underneath the tailgate window that I read many others got within 3 months. Fuel mileage dips into single digits in city driving. Oh well, another Ford, another shoddy car. At least it's not a Chrysler or the bumpers would be falling off by now.

5 years and still loving it
By Cory on 08/17/08 21:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I have driven this '03 for five years now with no serious problems. Has plenty of horsepower and has handled well in all weather conditions. A few small maintenance issues such as a faulty door or lift gate sensor that has the vehicle thinking a door is open (dome light stays on) and a reverse sensor is out. I've owned foreign vehicles that have had less maintenance visits to the dealership but none of them have matched the comfort, styling and overall driving experience. Would like to see better gas mileage but what do you expect for an AWD SUV?

Great SUV: they should still make them
By Steve B on 07/09/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The is an excellent riding & handling vehicle that Lincoln should still be manufacturing. I bought it new and have had a few mechanical problems I wouldn't have expected, like replacing the transmission after 100k miles! Overall, a great SUV.

Aviator Owner's Review
By Tim on 05/14/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Its reliability is outstanding. Its power and handling is on par with the BMW-X5, and its quieter. I now have 82,000 miles on the vehicle and it runs as well as it did when I bought it. The best way to describe it is it's still tight. No rattles. No loose parts. No electrical gremlins. At 60,000 miles I used the Aviator to tow a small car from southern Calif. to Las Vegas. I was pulling approximately 3,600lb and it didn't break a sweat. I even averaged 17 mpg. I disagree with the comment about lacking refinement compared to European SUVs. The Aviator set a new standard for affordable luxury. I paid $10K less than a similarly equipped BMW!

A few questions, but love it....
By dot on 05/07/08 14:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I got this after having a Blazer and I love it to death... It is gorgeous. It had a lot of miles when I bought it and has never been back for service. I have had some problems w/ the car saying that door is ajar and then the light stays on. Causing the battery to go dead Also the hub caps are peeling apart. Can't find replacements anywhere.

Excellant All Around Vehicle
By Great Vehicle on 03/18/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Go anywhere SUV, Go several times a year on out of state trips. The Aviator is the ultimate in comfort! Hit that seat warmer after a long day and ahhh! Our Aviator has 42K on it and has only needed the regular maint performed on it. I did replace the tires to one size up and that helped on the milage-AVG 19 mph allaround and up to 21 on the road. I also had the computer upgraded thru the dealer on a new program that has made it perform even better. No gripes here glad we have it as our all around veh and well worth the price!

Outstanding SUV
By jaybo on 08/22/07 07:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this to replace a beloved Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Aviator is the best combination of performance (300 HP), and whisper quiet comfort along with great deep snow handling that I have ever owned. It was 2/3 the price of the Toyota Land Cruiser or BMW X5 (only 5 passenger) and has superior performance. It is a mystery to me why Ford replaced it with a minivanny MKX. I guess I will be forced to buy German or Japanese next time.

Nothing better
By Sharlex on 07/03/07 20:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is the most enjoyable vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I love the luxurious interior, the beautiful exterior and flawless ride and handling. The bright cathode lights on the dash are gorgeous and it was worth every penny. I test drove many SUV's and nothing comes remotely close to the Lincoln Aviator.

Never Never Never Never again
By Horrible Vehicle on 05/30/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but problems. After owning the vehicle for two years the transmission had to be replaced. When the third time repair did not fix the original problem. I have had electrical problems from day one but no one can seem to figure out why. The auto-window doesn't work, the side view mirrors would change positions, the passenger seat heater does not work, the sound system takes about a minute to come on after the car is started. The steering wheel shimmies when braking, and there is a long whining sound when you start the vehicle in cold weather (which they can't seem to figure out why). This vehicle is the most expensive I have owned and yet the worst purchase made.

2003 Aviator
By Shady on 04/13/07 06:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this used with 24,000 miles. So far it has been pretty good. Only issues are seat climate controls that keep failing, a loose drivers seat, and a bit of corrosion on the top, inside edge of the rear liftgate (same spot as our 98 Explorer). The brake rotors also seem like they need replacement. Control illumination is amazingly high-tech looking, but some knobs and controls don't feel smooth when operated. Overall a well built SUV with a lot of nice features. We were most impressed with the innovations, like thicker windows, that reduce noise. It has many features that make it a much improved version of the Explorer, which is what we owned previously