2003 Lincoln Aviator - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aviator model:
Never an issue
By abqlincoln on 02/03/10 19:10 PM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We have loved this for 2 years and have loved it. A lot of people complain about the mileage but for a full sized SUV to get 21 mpg on the highway at 80 mph I have no complaints at all. Around town we get 15 mpg but again, I never expected this to be an economy car. It has been very reliable and has never given us an issue.

Extremely Poor Reliability
By Rsmith on 07/08/09 06:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Enjoy the vehicle, plenty of power, comfort and overall utility. However, with only 75,000 miles, the following maintenance issues have developed. On three wheels the bearing failed,$1,600, the number eight cylinder is bad, requiring over $4,000 in repairs, transmission failed, over $3,000 repair, driver side window motor failed, $350 in repair, back window hatch cracked, and now the shift lever is bad. The dealer did not treat me as a valued customer, but tried to gouge me and stated that I should get rid of the vehicle. This is by far the most unreliable vehicle that I have ever owned. Wil never purchase another Lincoln or so called American car.

Another Lincoln Lemon
By None on 11/06/08 09:14 AM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I liked the look and the interior, so I bought one used with 60k mi. However, 4 months out of the dealer and I'm looking at $1500 of repairs on various plastic engine parts that have deteriorated. It took the dealer nearly a week to diagnose. Conveniently these aren't covered under their useless extended warranty. One of the rear doors doesn't unlock. I got the metal panel crack underneath the tailgate window that I read many others got within 3 months. Fuel mileage dips into single digits in city driving. Oh well, another Ford, another shoddy car. At least it's not a Chrysler or the bumpers would be falling off by now.

Aviator Owner's Review
By Tim on 05/14/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Its reliability is outstanding. Its power and handling is on par with the BMW-X5, and its quieter. I now have 82,000 miles on the vehicle and it runs as well as it did when I bought it. The best way to describe it is it's still tight. No rattles. No loose parts. No electrical gremlins. At 60,000 miles I used the Aviator to tow a small car from southern Calif. to Las Vegas. I was pulling approximately 3,600lb and it didn't break a sweat. I even averaged 17 mpg. I disagree with the comment about lacking refinement compared to European SUVs. The Aviator set a new standard for affordable luxury. I paid $10K less than a similarly equipped BMW!

2003 Lincoln Aviator
By JohnWatson on 03/30/06 22:03 PM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The performance is outstanding. It feels comfortable, solid and stable. The steering is responsive and precise. The visibilitly is superb forward and rearward, especially with the backup tone warning system. It accepts a top mounted extra luggage compartment allowing long travel with 6 passengers, in comfort. Controlled braking is excellent.

Can't go wrong with this suv
By Best luxury Suv on 03/07/06 00:43 AM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have never been more satisfied with the amount of money I paid for such luxury! I have had zero issues with this car and going on 48,000 miles.

Classy
By Max on 09/30/05 19:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

this car is amazing, ive had it for about 6 months now, i bought it used. it's a 2004 model. it is the most luxurious SUV on the market. ive driven in a range rover, and id take this over that. i think it is the best SUV you can buy. i have had no problems with the car, it has never had to go into the dealer in the time ive owned it. the interior is beautiful. the engine sounds amazing as well, when you're accelerating, it sounds like it has an aftermarket exhaust system. the thing handles like a sports car.

Aviator
By dfsreb on 06/10/05 13:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The convenience of a luxury SUV with the performance of a Cobra. Lots of style and comfort. Enjoyable to drive on long trips with the climate controlled seats and power adjustments.

Absolutely Love It
By Burns on 03/27/05 20:20 PM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my work vehicle, my office if you will, but the wife and I end up in it over the weekends even though we have an Acura MDX. The Aviator is much more comfortable, smoother, less noise, and is all around more fun to drive. 52,000 miles and smiles. I hate that Lincoln will soon change it. Oh well, I'll have to get the last 2005!

Can't wait to get rid of this vehicle
By Steve on 03/24/05 06:42 AM (PST)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

After sitting a stop lights and shaking and having 2 different dealers...the service managers are brothers...tell me 3 times that this Lincoln should sit at stop lights and shake..yeah right ! and having the rear differential replaced at 3000 miles...the a/c smells and the car still has only 12000 miles on it I can't wait to get rid of this piece of "junk". This is my fifth new Lincoln product in 10 years and it is not only my last Lincoln product but my last American car. No-one seems to care that this car absolutely runs awful including Lincoln customer service.