Used 2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lincoln Aviator - Consumer Reviews

2003 Lincoln Aviator

View reviews for a specific Aviator model:

good
By jakediggsjr7@gmail.com

Never an issue
By abqlincoln

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We have loved this for 2 years and have loved it. A lot of people complain about the mileage but for a full sized SUV to get 21 mpg on the highway at 80 mph I have no complaints at all. Around town we get 15 mpg but again, I never expected this to be an economy car. It has been very reliable and has never given us an issue.

Very sharp looks, it turns heads everywhere we go.

None, this has been a great vehicle.

Extremely Poor Reliability
By Rsmith

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Enjoy the vehicle, plenty of power, comfort and overall utility. However, with only 75,000 miles, the following maintenance issues have developed. On three wheels the bearing failed,$1,600, the number eight cylinder is bad, requiring over $4,000 in repairs, transmission failed, over $3,000 repair, driver side window motor failed, $350 in repair, back window hatch cracked, and now the shift lever is bad. The dealer did not treat me as a valued customer, but tried to gouge me and stated that I should get rid of the vehicle. This is by far the most unreliable vehicle that I have ever owned. Wil never purchase another Lincoln or so called American car.

The ride and drive

For the price, build quality need substantial improvements

Another Lincoln Lemon
By None

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I liked the look and the interior, so I bought one used with 60k mi. However, 4 months out of the dealer and I'm looking at $1500 of repairs on various plastic engine parts that have deteriorated. It took the dealer nearly a week to diagnose. Conveniently these aren't covered under their useless extended warranty. One of the rear doors doesn't unlock. I got the metal panel crack underneath the tailgate window that I read many others got within 3 months. Fuel mileage dips into single digits in city driving. Oh well, another Ford, another shoddy car. At least it's not a Chrysler or the bumpers would be falling off by now.

Aviator Owner's Review
By Tim

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Its reliability is outstanding. Its power and handling is on par with the BMW-X5, and its quieter. I now have 82,000 miles on the vehicle and it runs as well as it did when I bought it. The best way to describe it is it's still tight. No rattles. No loose parts. No electrical gremlins. At 60,000 miles I used the Aviator to tow a small car from southern Calif. to Las Vegas. I was pulling approximately 3,600lb and it didn't break a sweat. I even averaged 17 mpg. I disagree with the comment about lacking refinement compared to European SUVs. The Aviator set a new standard for affordable luxury. I paid $10K less than a similarly equipped BMW!

Excellent power. Quiet ride at highway speeds. Strong a/c / heating system. It cools or heats the truck quickly. Great sound system. The backup warning beeper is a can't-do-without feature. Every vehicle should have one. Visibility is also great. Good idea - storage compartments in the elbow rests.

More leg room in second row can be accommodated by scaling-down the backrest on the front seats.