Used 2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (93 reviews )

in 2013 still turns heads
By mrcongeniality

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

These cars were so ahead of there time in 2002. It is a great car overall and for a used convertible this is the best value you can get for a used convertible under 15k (2002 to 2004 used ones). Do not use in snow at all. Not even once inch it will crash. My friend who had one told me this. It drives smooth and refined and its reliable. If you buy a German used convertible you'll spend a lot in repairs. You won't with this. I don't have the run flats but I hear they are a problem. The top is up and down in 25 seconds.

The gorgeous interior, the navigation system is fast, head turner, the leather and quality of the interior, the dual climate control, the backseats are useful if you are buying stuff and they give the driver more room, as long as you don't have the spare tire the trunk is decent enough for 3 backpacks or so, the Mark Levinson sound system rocks, the memory seats are a nice touch too. Heated seats are nice and it gets you noticed.

It is heavy at 3800 pounds and not very fast or sporty. who cares though its a luxury cruiser. Gas mileage is so so about 20 mpg but in 2002 gas was 1.50 a gallon. The seat belts are a bit far back I feel. The cup holders are too shallow I won't even use them for fear of spilling a drink. They needed to add more technology to these as time went on. My 2007 Prius has a backup camera this was never an option in any years or models. Replace run flats with regular 18 inch tires. rims are funky looking on the 2002 to 2004 but I like the weirdness. Also it should tell you when you need an oil change it doesn't give you enough information about the cars maintenance.

Great Car! but Expensive Repairs!
By Stunt Jay

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Runflat tires do cause a bit of hard ride. I hit a pothole without seeing it and it bent the rim very easily. Dealer wanted $600 for just the rim. I average 18 MPG as it stated I would. No big deal coming from a Tundra with 13 MPG. Convertible parts are very expensive. Overall I do enjoy driving the car alot and will probably keep it until it dies out on me. I haven't had any major mechanical issues at all with the car.

Hideaway navigation and CD player. Hard top convertible. 288 HP Engine.

My suggested improvements have already been made on the newer models except for one. A/C vented seats!!!

A Dream Car
By Jay

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 SC430 with 50k miles on it for $20,000. Everything is immaculate on this car, always serviced when needed. The drive does have that sport car ride to it due to the low profile RFT's. The sound system sounds amazing although it is very expensive to replace just 1 speaker at $320. The rear seats (golf bag holder) are useless for people to sit in. The trunk surprisingly does have decent space when the top is up. Being that the model is still the same as of 2010. I will upgrade some of the standard parts to the newest style.

Hard Top Convertible & Mark Levinson sound system.

Upgrade to the LED tail lights, Install the new 9.1 navigation software & install K&N air filter.

Amazing
By Dr.J

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've always love to drive at night with the sunroof open. This car blows a sunroof away. Amazing power. Dead silent cabin with top down at high speed. Completely exhilarating. I look forward to the commute to work.

Design, power, sophistication, and the ability to pass other drivers.

V6 option for better gas mileage although I'm currently getting 20.5mpg. Ipod input but I think the newer models have it.

Never too late
By Chris

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Received this beautiful little red car for my 65th birthday. I fell in love just looking at her but when I took her out for a drive... that was it. Had a Corvette when I was in my 30s and this car far surpasses it in feel, looks and fun to drive! I feel like I've gained 20 years back. Never too late to have fun on the road.

Feel of the powerful motor and ease of steering. Looks of envy from other motorists.

Little more back seat room and head room, gas mileage.