Used 2003 Lexus SC 430 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Sc-430 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Lexus SC 430

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (93 reviews )

No front end
By Howard

2003 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The front end is non existent and you will end up replacing $400 every time you hit a pot hole. It is beautiful, great acceleration, but the tires and wheel covers will be replaced numerous times. The tires which never go flat get lousy overall mileage. It costs over $400 just to put snow tires on in the winter. That is without buying them at $400 a pop. So if you have thousands to waste because the front end was made for a show room this is a great car.

Favorite Features

Nice stereo, great hard top which goes in the trunk automatically, great pick up. Smooth handling and a great look.

Suggested Improvements

Get tires that don't cost $400 each and generally last under 15,000 miles. 2003 model could not take a bump. Tires got bubbles all the time and had to be replaced. At $400 apiece that is no joke. Wheel covers scratch up and look bad because of low front end. Need extra bucks to replace new tire.

in 2013 still turns heads
By mrcongeniality

2003 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

These cars were so ahead of there time in 2002. It is a great car overall and for a used convertible this is the best value you can get for a used convertible under 15k (2002 to 2004 used ones). Do not use in snow at all. Not even once inch it will crash. My friend who had one told me this. It drives smooth and refined and its reliable. If you buy a German used convertible you'll spend a lot in repairs. You won't with this. I don't have the run flats but I hear they are a problem. The top is up and down in 25 seconds.

Favorite Features

The gorgeous interior, the navigation system is fast, head turner, the leather and quality of the interior, the dual climate control, the backseats are useful if you are buying stuff and they give the driver more room, as long as you don't have the spare tire the trunk is decent enough for 3 backpacks or so, the Mark Levinson sound system rocks, the memory seats are a nice touch too. Heated seats are nice and it gets you noticed.

Suggested Improvements

It is heavy at 3800 pounds and not very fast or sporty. who cares though its a luxury cruiser. Gas mileage is so so about 20 mpg but in 2002 gas was 1.50 a gallon. The seat belts are a bit far back I feel. The cup holders are too shallow I won't even use them for fear of spilling a drink. They needed to add more technology to these as time went on. My 2007 Prius has a backup camera this was never an option in any years or models. Replace run flats with regular 18 inch tires. rims are funky looking on the 2002 to 2004 but I like the weirdness. Also it should tell you when you need an oil change it doesn't give you enough information about the cars maintenance.

Never too late
By Chris

2003 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Received this beautiful little red car for my 65th birthday. I fell in love just looking at her but when I took her out for a drive... that was it. Had a Corvette when I was in my 30s and this car far surpasses it in feel, looks and fun to drive! I feel like I've gained 20 years back. Never too late to have fun on the road.

Favorite Features

Feel of the powerful motor and ease of steering. Looks of envy from other motorists.

Suggested Improvements

Little more back seat room and head room, gas mileage.

Great Car! but Expensive Repairs!
By Stunt Jay

2003 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Runflat tires do cause a bit of hard ride. I hit a pothole without seeing it and it bent the rim very easily. Dealer wanted $600 for just the rim. I average 18 MPG as it stated I would. No big deal coming from a Tundra with 13 MPG. Convertible parts are very expensive. Overall I do enjoy driving the car alot and will probably keep it until it dies out on me. I haven't had any major mechanical issues at all with the car.

Favorite Features

Hideaway navigation and CD player. Hard top convertible. 288 HP Engine.

Suggested Improvements

My suggested improvements have already been made on the newer models except for one. A/C vented seats!!!

Amazing
By Dr.J

2003 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've always love to drive at night with the sunroof open. This car blows a sunroof away. Amazing power. Dead silent cabin with top down at high speed. Completely exhilarating. I look forward to the commute to work.

Favorite Features

Design, power, sophistication, and the ability to pass other drivers.

Suggested Improvements

V6 option for better gas mileage although I'm currently getting 20.5mpg. Ipod input but I think the newer models have it.