Used 1992 Lexus SC 400 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Lexus Sc-400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

Owned 16 years - Great Car!
By Xplant

1992 Lexus SC 400 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Best car I've owned. I've looked for 7 years for replacement, but can't find anything I like as well. Costs/mi for 188K miles: Gas (9375.1 Gal)-$.081/mi; sched maint-$.039/mi; unsched maint- $.0296/mi; oil change (do myself)- $.0023/mi; Total cost/mi = $.1515 w/o depreciation. Ave mi/gal for 188K mi = 20.01 mpg (187914 mi/9375.1 gal).

Favorite Features

Interior comfort and appointments. Road handling long trips.

Suggested Improvements

0-30mph acceleration. Several 'chronic' reliability problems (pwr steering pump/alternator, gauge needles burn-out, had to redo front suspension @ 190K miles.

Excellent Built Car I have ever owned
By TACJ

1992 Lexus SC 400 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have a quite few different cars including my 2003 ML M.Benz but this 1992 SC 400 is the best car I have ever had. 2 years ago I was looking for a nice car and was hesitant to purchase it due to its age, but I went ahead and bought it anyway. I am glad I did. Even though it is now 15 years old car, it drives like a brand new car and in fact it drives smoother than my new Benz. I took it for emissions test and it passed without any hesitation. Only thing that I have to take care of is to have it repainted to keep her longer. Sometime in future, I will probably trade in my Benz for a 330 Lexus. Lexus builds not only great but excellent cars.

Best Value Coupe Ever Made
By Gene Horne

1992 Lexus SC 400 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Second 92 SC owned with only 77k miles (2007). Rocket ship, wear it like a glove, extremely well engineered, built like a tank, understated timeless beauty, still in style (2007). Last 92 SC I sold at 189k, still ran like new. Best V8 engine ever made. Check rear main seal & pwr steering for leaks (130k), radiator(150k), rubber suspension bushings (75k-14yr). Replacement parts available & reasonable, interchangeable with later years, find good mechanic or purchase svc manual, not too difficult to work on. SC 400s destined to become collector cars if kept all original, much more so than tacky SC 430.

Favorite Features

Best driving car I ever owned, like its on a rail, good weight and balance, nimble and quick, comfortable, quiet but can go when needed. Looks like it wants to go places sitting in driveway. PERFECT ergonomics, no goofy useless features. Toyota got it right the first time. 92-2000 are about the same.

Suggested Improvements

Dye the leather instead of painting it. Higher seat position, door wide but entry & exit low to ground. Ditch the 430. Bring back the SC400 in 2008 with longer wheelbase for more leg room in back. Revert to 92 front end without 97-2000 grill slat. Its distracting.

Best car running
By vincent

1992 Lexus SC 400 Coupe 2dr Coupe

For a 1992 car with 156,000 miles on it this is the best car ever made and the body style is timeless a well made car with no engine problems too.

Favorite Features

Scope steering wheel, heating seats, turn lights that help you see the corners, sunroof back seats with a lots of room nice vanity mirrors and rear mirror that adjusts to light.

Suggested Improvements

none

Loving it...still!
By rannis1

1992 Lexus SC 400 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I wrote a review on 5/23/02 about my car entitled "Still loving it..." Guess what? I am still loving it! It had 70K miles on it when I bought it in 1997. It now has 201K and is still running strong!!! My nephew has turned 16, but I kept the car. I have had some interested buyers, but I cannot bear to get rid of it. I love it just that much...even still! I also own a '96 LS 400. Lexus lover for life!!!