1992 Lexus SC 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )
Best $2700.00 investment
By nicksc400 on 01/02/12 17:29 PM (PST)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I was looking for a used vehicle to commute 40 miles one way and this car has been very reliable . I've has this vehicle for a year with no serious problems. I now have 158k an still runs like a champ. It's a very fun car to drive with great horse power. if you run across someone selling a sc400,research and go for it!

Just keeps going, and going...
By murco1 on 11/28/11 21:09 PM (PST)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car as a comfortable winter beater, not planning to keep it. It has sunk it's well-built teeth into me and I don't see myself ever letting go of this car! At 190K miles it still starts right up, shifts as smooth as silk, all of the electronics work, and it drives wonderfully after having the steering rack bushings replaced ($55 + my labor - 30 minutes).The interior only has minor wear on the seats and I replaced the gauge lighting for $12, otherwise it is as it left the showroom after almost 20 years! The paint is fading but the panel fit is still extrodinary, it will be painted this coming spring and I'll probably get some rolling jewelry for it too! Drive one, you'll buy!

Perfect blend of Luxury and Sport
By speedfanatic20 on 08/04/11 07:25 AM (PDT)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

With 180,000 miles on it when it was totaled, I only had to replace the stock plastic radiator, and AC. The car ran like a champ. The V8 provided plenty of power to the rear wheels during any driving situation. The handling was excellent. I am currently looking for an SC now as DD.

My 19 year old SC400...WOW!!!
By lexustx on 01/04/11 09:10 AM (PST)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I recently picked up a 92 SC400 w/88K miles. It needs some work, but it is still a blast to drive. The engine and transmission are solid and nobody believes the car is 19 years old. The quality and design of this car were decades ahead of its time. I look forward to fixing it up and using it as a weekend cruiser. Pick one up if you can, there is a reason they are ranked as one of the Top 10 cars of all time on many lists.

Just an update
By projectmgr on 10/01/09 08:33 AM (PDT)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

Wrote a review back in 2004 titled "This Lex never let's me down". Now have 195,000 miles on the same car and can honestly say I have enjoyed every mile. In the last review I talked about the high cost of repair but now in retrospect believe the cheapest parts are the ones that don't break. I can't complain! Nothing major so far. A timing chain one year, an alternator and other regular maintenance stuff. No big deal. Would I trade this car for the bluebook price? Not a chance! If I had any advise it would be that barring an accident candy paint and or 22" rims are the only ways you can ruin the car. Good luck!

A V8 in a tuxedo
By No_Sweat on 06/25/09 15:50 PM (PDT)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I had 2 Nissans before this SC400, and wow what a jump up this car has been! The seat fits like a glove, and heated seats are excellent in cold weather. People have complained about this car's wet weather and snow traction since it is rear-wheel drive, but I've done fine through this car's first New England winter. It's not a stump puller but 250HP and nearly that in torque is PLENTY! These cars are very hard to find for sale; nobody seems to want to let them go so do your homework and make sure you find one that's been taken care of! The only issue with this car is if your power steering leeks, it drips right onto the alternator, so check to see if it has had recent work in those areas.

Tough little car
By doctorg on 06/24/08 20:04 PM (PDT)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

16 years old and runs like new. Seats have gotten hard with age and the dashboard displays are dying (not the critical ones). Sound system works sometimes. Repairs have been few. Car is in now for painting and replacement of some of the external plastic. I plan on taking this as far as it will go.

Lex 4 Lex & Love it
By funnystylesav on 02/05/08 08:11 AM (PST)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

This Lexus car is amazing and I still don't want to get rid of it. She has never let me down. Everytime I wanted to ride we go. She's fantastic, the best coupe SC 400 ever made! 240000 miles and still running strong, always ready to ride anywhere. I have two other cars and still prefer to drive her.

Awesome Car!
By Chris on 12/01/07 23:34 PM (PST)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

208k and still running great. This car is by far the best purchase I've made. I plan on taking it to 350,000.

I Love My Lexus SC 400
By Tom on 10/21/07 17:39 PM (PDT)

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I bought a 1992 SC 400 two and a half years ago (3/05) with 166,000 miles. I paid about $5,500. My car now has 186,000 miles and has been very reliable. I put Bridgestone tires on car when first bought and it handles great!! Very good on gas on highway for a car weighing 3800 pounds (about 27 MPG). If you are considering this car, drive a clean, well-taken-care-of car and see if you like. These cars can go over 300,000 miles with no tranny or motor work if maintained and not abused. This car has been great!!