Used 1992 Lexus SC 400 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Lexus SC 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

Best $2700.00 investment
By nicksc400

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I was looking for a used vehicle to commute 40 miles one way and this car has been very reliable . I've has this vehicle for a year with no serious problems. I now have 158k an still runs like a champ. It's a very fun car to drive with great horse power. if you run across someone selling a sc400,research and go for it!

The style for a vehicle design reaching 20 years old was well ahead of it times. Engine performance is awesome. Its interior is a little small for the back seat, but you can't have everything right! Just a fun car to drive.

Just keeps going, and going...
By murco1

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car as a comfortable winter beater, not planning to keep it. It has sunk it's well-built teeth into me and I don't see myself ever letting go of this car! At 190K miles it still starts right up, shifts as smooth as silk, all of the electronics work, and it drives wonderfully after having the steering rack bushings replaced ($55 + my labor - 30 minutes).The interior only has minor wear on the seats and I replaced the gauge lighting for $12, otherwise it is as it left the showroom after almost 20 years! The paint is fading but the panel fit is still extrodinary, it will be painted this coming spring and I'll probably get some rolling jewelry for it too! Drive one, you'll buy!

Seat memory that also power-adjusts the steering wheel and mirrors, variable power assist steering. I also added a Homelink auto-dimming mirror that just adds to the enjoyment.

The stereo amp was dead, I'll be replacing the system with an Alpine stereo w/iPod-phone connectivity. If you would like to make the gauge lighting better there are LED lamps that make it come alive!

Perfect blend of Luxury and Sport
By speedfanatic20

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

With 180,000 miles on it when it was totaled, I only had to replace the stock plastic radiator, and AC. The car ran like a champ. The V8 provided plenty of power to the rear wheels during any driving situation. The handling was excellent. I am currently looking for an SC now as DD.

RWD, timeless exterior styling, performance, handling, reliability.

Fuel economy could be better, only averaged 13mpg on highway. Also, CD access in the cabin instead of the trunk.

My 19 year old SC400...WOW!!!
By lexustx

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

I recently picked up a 92 SC400 w/88K miles. It needs some work, but it is still a blast to drive. The engine and transmission are solid and nobody believes the car is 19 years old. The quality and design of this car were decades ahead of its time. I look forward to fixing it up and using it as a weekend cruiser. Pick one up if you can, there is a reason they are ranked as one of the Top 10 cars of all time on many lists.

Overall Quality of the car, interior simplicity and functionality, technology for a 19 year car, exterior lines of car, and lastly the door hinges...my goodness, they are huge and the doors still have a nice solid fit.

None, it is like Supra with luxury.

Just an update
By projectmgr

1992 Lexus SC 400 2dr Coupe

Wrote a review back in 2004 titled "This Lex never let's me down". Now have 195,000 miles on the same car and can honestly say I have enjoyed every mile. In the last review I talked about the high cost of repair but now in retrospect believe the cheapest parts are the ones that don't break. I can't complain! Nothing major so far. A timing chain one year, an alternator and other regular maintenance stuff. No big deal. Would I trade this car for the bluebook price? Not a chance! If I had any advise it would be that barring an accident candy paint and or 22" rims are the only ways you can ruin the car. Good luck!

Power, sunroof, everything.

Better gas mileage would be great, less hustle at the dealer service center.