Used 2012 Lexus RX 450h Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Lexus Rx-450h - Consumer Reviews

2012 Lexus RX 450h

View reviews for a specific RX 450h model:

Thinking of going green? Don't bother....
By tampabayjay

2012 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently traded my 2008 Lexus ES350 for a 2012 450RX Hybrid. What a HUGE mistake! The estimated mileage on the sticker is NO WHERE close to what the vehicle actually gets. I paid a premium to get a Hybrid and I'm getting 22-23 average miles per gallon! My ES 350 got 32 MPG average. Lexus has really disappointed me with this false interpretation of Hybrid performance. I asked my dealer (Lexus of Tampa Bay) today what I could do. They said to call Lexus. What a joke. I'm a repeat customer that has referred several buyers to this dealership and they blew me off? I sincerely hope that taking the time to post this review will sufficiently warn others. Jay

Suggested Improvements

Lexus needs to tell the truth. I never would have imagined that I would have been so badly misled.

Close to Excellent
By dc_area_driver

2012 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The buying experience was great. Other brands could learn from Lexus and how they treat their customers. . The mileage on the vehicle is as advertised. The ride is smooth and quiet. It is a great road trip vehicle. The Enform system is great! So why isn't the vehicle excellent? The navigation/audio system is 2nd rate. In a vehicle that costs this much money the sound/navigation system should be outstanding.

Favorite Features

The car has a great ride is amazingly comfortable. The keyless entry is fantastic. The car handles well. The mouse is a great way to interact with the UI. My hand can be in a natural position without having to reach forward to a touch screen. As we head into summer, no doubt I am going to like the ventilated seats. While I bash the NAV system under "Suggested Improvements", the ability to enter addresses from my PC and phone and have them downloaded to the car is fantastic!. With gas prices well north of $4.00/Gal the mileage cant be beaten!

Suggested Improvements

Lexus really missed the boat on the NAV/Audio system. The XM integration doesn't compare to a 2004 Acural TL that I owned. It also doesn't compare to the Infiniti that I had prior to this vehicle. The iPod integration is even worse. No album art. When scrolling through a long list of artists the system doesn't display what letter you are on. Additionally the performance of the interface is rather sluggish. The user interface for the NAV system is poorly planned. Lexus could use a lot of help in human interface design here. Lastly, while the system allows for multiple phones to be paired, only one can be active at a time. My $100 Bluetooth headset allows multiple phones to be active.

our 5th and best RX
By ultra64

2012 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had 2 RX300's, a RX400, a RX350 and this one which was only $20 more a month to lease than the RX350. The fuel savings were worth the upgrade and we enjoy the hybrid mystique .

Favorite Features

hybrid system and badging, Safety Connect

Suggested Improvements

reduce cost of hybrid system

Major problems; returned car
By asteinberg

2012 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Integrity of cabin compromised -- unsure if due to post-earthquake radioactive stuff or use of cosmoline. Lexus denies use of cosmoline, but service dept at dealer claimed this toxic substance was used; noxious fumes. Dealership would not test under similar circumstances. My wife and child ill; returned car within month with $5000 penalty. Dealer wanted to help, but Lexus company uncooperative. Lexus left me no alternative -- I shall now consider Federal and state regulatory authorities, litigation. In unlikely case Lexus stands behind product, I will update. But Lexus corporate was bureaucratic. Dealership had changed story many times -- such as - -that noxious fumes would burn off

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

Prior Lexus hybrid seemed more reliable. As explaiend above, my wife's health was jeopardized by lack of cabin integrity and fmes hich came in, with steep uphill climb after long drive. Dealerships did not take her concern seriously; one service rep hung up when we put our house contractor on the telephone to validate that he too could not breathe when he entered vehicle. Our experience so far -- Lexus corporate would not even reimburse for the $5000 we lost. I guess we should have persisted under the Lemon law and not given the car back. But we did not want to jeopardize health.

The GPS
By willdublin

2012 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I Rate my Car Excellent in every respect except one . You are not informed whether your destination is approaching on the right or left when you input an address using a Home Computer(eDestination)or you use the Destination Assist feature. This is not only annoying but could be dangerous for obvious reasons.

Suggested Improvements

A system upgrade to address the above concerns is needed.