2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 450h model:
Love it!
By NoDuplicates on 11/16/09 23:28 PM (PST)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I went from a Lexus IS350 to the RX450H AWD. I was hung up on performance, but there is no comparison. Utility with MPG was my need for the long term. I got a lot more. The car drives like a dream. There is plenty of power for normal city and highway driving. However, don't expect to floor it at a light and whip ahead of the car on your left. It's not built for this but it can do it if you want to shoot the MPG to hell. On the highway, throw the trans left into manual and downshift to 4th gear for extra passing power. Comfort is king, fit and finish are perfect. Good ergonomics, handles well with 19" rims on curves. Instrumentation beautiful and relevant.

Reprieve for AWD
By NoDuplicates on 11/04/09 23:40 PM (PST)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wrote the "Great Car but Performance Lacking" review on 10/3/09. This is an update based on new info. In the prior review the RX350 and RX450h were both FWD. I went back and "put-the-pedal-to- the-metal" on the AWD versions of both cars. Only when "Eco-Mode" was turned off (RX450h only), RX450h acceleration from standstill was nearly as good as the RX350 - a significant improvement. The RX450h engine does roar at first as it seems to lag in realizing you want to lead-foot it. On the highway, there is no difference. With Eco-mode on, you cannot get away with such rude behavior. This mode was probably on in my first review. Also, realize that with Eco-mode off, mpg will be less.

Initial impression
By Burt10 on 10/27/09 16:24 PM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very impressed with the RX450h. Excellent comfort and fun to drive. Takes a while to get familiar with all the capability but basic operation is easy and intuitive. Very good dealer service.

Great Car but Performance Lacking
By NoDuplicates on 10/03/09 10:28 AM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I decided to buy an SUV, I knew it would be Lexus (quality), and I so badly wanted a hybrid to future proof against rising gas prices. I created spreadsheet showing the RX450h vs. RX350 could pay for itself in 3.6yrs. Intellectually I had justified the cost. However, when I drove both cars (450h first, then 350), I was shocked by the sluggish performance of the 450h relative to the peppy 350. The gas pedal felt squishy, sluggishly responsive, getting up to highway speed felt tenuous. Major disappointment!

1st Hybrid, previous Lexus owner
By Jim M. on 09/24/09 14:11 PM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had my previous '03 RX in for an oil change and drove the 2010 RX350. I went ahead and placed the 1st order with money and got the exact car I wanted on the 1st delivery. What a technological marvel !!! I truly don't believe there is 'any' competition in it's price class with this much performance, luxury, safety, features, and economy. I plan on keeping this car till the batteries fail, probably about 10 years.

Bay Area Commuter
By Michael on 09/13/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Commute 160 miles a day and make on average 27.5 mpg hanging with traffic, 29 mpg set on 65, and and 33 mpg on the 101 from San Jose to L.A. north or south. 2 others in my car pool sleep to and from work, all pay $10 each so virtually no gas bill...one has had back surgery and claims seat is the most supportive comfortable seat he has ever sat in...fantastic sound with the model just below Mark Levinson...usually keep the radio off and marvel at how quiet and relaxing the drive is. Power when you need it...stays in electric only babying the gas up to 45 mpg...26mpg in and around Carmel, Gilroy, Tahoe.

Miles of Smiles
By Tom McLaughlin on 08/20/09 18:44 PM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Previous to this purchase I have always been a Toyota man. So, this is my first Lexus. I have only owned it a couple of weeks and have 950 miles on it. However, knowing how competent Toyota is I am sure I will get years of good service on this Lexus. It's the most fun I have had driving a car since the first miles on my old '93 Land Cruiser which I traded in on the Clunker program. However, that Land Cruiser was anything but a clunker! My wife has an 08 Toyota Highlander which we also love. Still, the Lexus has it over the Highlander and I'm glad I bought it.

Love my Lexus
By John Harvey on 08/19/09 17:36 PM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first Lexus. I bought the hybrid because I keep my cars at least 10 years. Gas prices probably will at least double in 10 years. Also the Rx 450h probably will have outstanding reliability like its predecessor. So far the car is fun to drive and it really encourages you to drive for mileage. In the first 900 miles we are averaging 27.5 miles per gallon in mostly highway driving.

Mercedes to Lexus Leap
By C Smith on 08/17/09 06:34 AM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased my 450H about 3 weeks ago. Drove ML320 for 200K and fully expected to get another one, but after test driving the 450H I was sold on the ergonomics, fit and finish, and the gas mileage (twice that of my ML). Navigation system, design and ease of use, comfortable, quiet. I loved my Mercedes and it was a great car; but the mileage, design and comfort of the Lexus won me over. Would not change a thing, except maybe the price. But, compared to similarly equipped cars of this quality, was not too painful. BTW, don't seem to lose a thing in the acceleration. Handling and cornering a little soft, but you still get a sense of the road. Lot of great little features I haven't even tried yet.

It's everything you want in a luxury car
By new450 on 08/12/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2010 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car has everything I was looking for -- the SUV seating, the car like ride, the Lexus luxury, the MPG, and a high tech toy. This is my first hybrid and the transition is indictable. Other than watching the screen, you can not tell when you are using gas or electric. It's amazing. This is a very high tech vehicle and you need to be prepared to study the manuals. It's hard to appreciate touching the car door and it opens, then having the seats conform to your driver position, and then touching the start button only to hear the silent sound of the A/C working. Oh yes, and your phone was also connected in the process. This is an amazing vehicle!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Lexus RX 450h Suv in VA is:

$140 per month*