Poor gas mileage
By jfinley on
2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
This is a very nice car, but I challenge anyone out there to prove they are getting better than 22-24 mpg. Better, I challenge Lexus to prove it. My fiend with a V8 truck gets better mpg. Shame on you Lexus, shame on me for buying.
Favorite Features
ride quality
Suggested Improvements
mpg, nav
By wobuck
on 08/25/11 21:34 PM (PDT)

I now own a RX400h, 2008, there was 77,000 on it in July, there is over 91,000, and it just keeps getting easier on fuel. Learn how to drive it, and we at present are getting 600-700 Km between fills. That is 200 more than when we first got it. Not trying to be smart, but I can prove what I am saying. It is a learned way of driving that is key. Clean intake filter is also very important. There are fuel efficient Michelin tires all around at 32 psi. Be glad to show you if we can.

By nopcbs
on 05/05/12 07:26 AM (PDT)

WE have a 2008 that we bought in December 2011 after an idiot rear-ended our 2003 RX330. We live in mid-MI and initially the mileage was disappointing...about 18 mpg in my wife's 2 mile commute as opposed to the 16 that her RX330 had given in winter. Then we got a spell of warm weather (over 60) and mileage jumped like crazy. She now gets 25 mpg on the same commute. Hybrids hate cold weather. They have to run the gas engine and that takes away much of the hybrid benefit. We have gotten as much as 29 mpg on mixed city/highway trips of 30 miles. Another thing is that some claim that if your 12 v battery goes dead or gets too weak (ours died soon after we bought the car and it was replaced under warranty) and a new battery is put in or the old battery charged, you have to do as ISC (idle speed control) reset of your computer. The deaer can do with with a diagnostic computer or you can do it youreself by following instructions in the Lexus forums. I am an agnostic on this, but MANY people claim to have done it with their RX400h and gooten HUGE jumps in mileage. There is a Lexus tech bulletin on this, too. There is a