2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
Best Car Buying Decision for us
By Robert on 04/28/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We drive this car on bumper to bumper traffic daily about 30 miles round trip. We are averaging about 28 MPG on it. It has been a real pleasure to drive. We currently have 5000 miles on it and use it almost exclusively anytime we need to go anywhere. Has good pep and the gearless transmission is very smooth. Lexus provided the first 2 maintenance free. I looked at the book however nothing needs maintenance other than the traditional engine. The batteries are warranted for 9 years.

Lexus RX 400h Excellence
By TJG on 03/16/08 08:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

While the RX 400h comes standard with Goodyear RSA tires, it is best to negotiate for Michelin Energy MXV4 S8, b/c of ride improvement, superior wear, better gas mileage by 5% or more. Michelin Energy on the RX make a big positive difference in ride quality and quietness. Don't bother with the Mark Levinson stereo; but do opt for the built-in GPS with Bluetooth and rear view camera. Acceleration at all speeds is impressive; w/a light foot, gas mileage can be 29 mpg+ in city and on a good day 27 mpg+ on the highway w/cruise control active. Expect 25 mpg+ avg. Very nice set of wheels.

Lexus RX 400h 2008
By Syed Warsi on 02/26/08 13:13 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

On the road it is a master. Complete grip on the road. Very quiet except for small tire noise. Variable transmission system does not gives a smooth takeoff from stop.

Going Green
By VA on 02/15/08 09:03 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We enjoy driving our new RX 400h. However, we have not experienced the gas mileage we expected. We are averaging 22 mpg in the city and 26.5 on the highway. This is backward for a hybrid. This is after putting 2300 miles on the vehicle. We hope this gets addressed better by the service folks than we did by the sales folks.

Hopeful
By VA Beach on 02/11/08 11:30 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased this vehicle in October, 2008. We love driving it. We are very disappointed with the gas mileage so far. There is something wrong with the regeneration. We are getting better gas mileage on the highway than in the city. We are hopeful that this will be addressed when we take it in. We were waiting until we had about 2500 miles on the vehicle.

Surprisingly Great
By Surprise fan on 01/08/08 12:25 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Didn't expect to like it as I really wanted an LX or GX but my wife fell in love with it. And now I have too. The hybrid is very peppy with the electric assist. Absolutely elegant inside and well built. Larger than expected inside with lots of nice touches - adjustable console and rear seats that slide.

Good Hybrid SUV
By New Hybrid Fan on 12/21/07 20:53 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love mine so far. Got before Thanksgiving and drove through the mountains. My husband was heavy on the gas pedal the whole time and still averaged just under 26mpg which is great since most cars and SUVS get 15-20mpg. On my daily business driving, I average 27-28 mpg and have gotten as high as 30 mpg. I'm careful to not be heavy on the pedal or breaks and coast as much as I can. This doesn't mean I have to stay at the speed limit, you can still average 70 mph.

Moving into the future
By ad on 11/25/07 23:36 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun to drive, elegant, don't forget to brake, or at least put it in "b" if you want to get some help stopping.

RX 400h
By jimbo on 10/28/07 13:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent overall quality. I've had no problems with the car. Gas mileage for hybrid is less than advertised but still I average 26.4 miles per gallon in mixed city and highway travel. Ride is smooth. There are some quirky noises which I attribute to the fact that the gasoline engine is not on all of the time. Interior electronics and controls are easy to use.

Love Hate Relationship
By G Henry on 10/17/07 15:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my RXh for 4 months and I love it, and I hate it. It is comfortable, safe, easy to drive, quiet, stunning Levinson audio system and more but mine has problems with the regeneration. My regeneration worked perfect until the battery pack showed fully charged. Ever since then the regen works about 60% of the time. Two dealers have looked at it and found nothing. Now I have video proof I will take in this week to see how they will ignore my issue. If you get 19-22 mpg in the city your regen is also not working well. When it is working and you drive responsibly you will get 27 in the city. The RXh is wonderful and smooth and safe, but I bought a hybrid and expect it to work.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Lexus RX 400h Suv in NJ is:

$201 per month*