Used 2008 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Exceeded My Expectations
By T Owens

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Extraordinary would be the best word that describes my driving experience in the Lexus RX400h AWD. It came with all the bells and whistles that one would expect from Lexus. The vehicle is exceptionally comfortable, fun, and easy to drive. Although this is my 2nd SUV and 1st hybrid, it is by far superior to the 16.5 MPG Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer that I use to own. What's truly remarkable is the outstanding power performance when you need it, and the equally outstanding fuel economy in stop and go city traffic. Knowing that the 400h is very quiet in the hybrid mode has heightened my situational awareness when people are nearby on foot, as it's almost as loud as an electric golf cart.

Favorite Features

Getting 31 MPH in a 24 MPH expected world. The technology involved in creating this vehicle is remarkable. Everything functions better then the PlaneView Avionics on a Gulfstream G550. Toyota has exceeded my expectations with this puppy. Easy to use, fun to operate, and a thrill to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Variable speed fan on the environmental control system Rather than a multi-speed fan. Coded door entry system, so I would not have to carry a key, that could open the door (s) including the rear door. Navigation system that would allow passenger to program while vehicle is in forward motion.

Poor Gas Mileage
By Luke

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We like the SV, but we expected more MPG than 22. The car drives nice and handles nice and of course Toyota quality is everywhere. Just hate the gas mileage for the price we paid.

Favorite Features

The ride is spectacular!

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG!

Combination of fun and milage
By Dr Var

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great for long rides and everyday drives. Absolutely love the feeling of CVT and can see the vehicles on the other lanes disappear in my mirrors with out the feeling of gear change.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, ride quality and CVT.

Great Vehicle, fantastic mileage
By lexus_gta

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this used about a month ago with only about 60 K km. (less than 40K miles) on it. After much research I decided to use only REGULAR gas in it since it seems that Premium is more about performance than fuel economy. I'll probably throw in an additive every three months or so. Having driven it about 2500 km. (about 1500 miles), I'm averaging 8.6L / 100km. which is just over 27mpg. And that's on REGULAR Gas. My 2010 2.4L 4 cyl. Hyundai Santa Fe could not even begin to to approach these numbers. Couldn't be happier because I got a great deal on a car that was just inspected by Lexus and had all the brakes done by Lexus, and is practically new. My best vehicle ever!

Favorite Features

Interior room and comfort, quality of leather seats. Great HID headlights. I live in the country and immediately noticed the difference in illumination between this and the Santa Fe. Fuel Economy. Power liftgate Rain sensing wipers

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any

sad
By jfinley

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is unfortunate that the new Lexus gets nothing near the promised gas mileage. you will be lucky to get 17/22 with the hybrid. I wonder if the non-hybrid gets worse gas mileage? Also, the battery and engine make a lot of noise. The CVT is awkward at best, and not a luxury item. Kinda of like calling a dude ranch luxury hotel. It still a ranch and smells like a ranch no matter how nice the beds. I am not even going to mention my unhappiness with the lockout function on the nav and blue tooth. If I could do over, I would save 15 grand and buy the 350 or the Acura RDX. I feel like such a sucker for buying the "hybrid."

Favorite Features

Auto tail gate

Suggested Improvements

Less noise and better gas mileage