Used 2008 Lexus RX 400h Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

New to us
By John

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased a 2008 pre-owned certified 400H with 18,100 miles on it. It is pristine. Have driven it a week now and am getting 28.2 MPG around town and on the highway combined. Have had no problems. It is fun to drive and is very comfortable. I see some reviews stating poor mileage. Not here. If you want to drive it like a regular car, quick acceleration, high speeds, you will get the performance of a regular car. I had to learn to drive the hybrid properly and it is great. It has plenty of power, amazing actually. The only down side so far is the audio on AM stations. FM is excellent. AM sounds "tinny" though. So far, e love the car.

Navigation, hybrid MPG. Quick response and fun to drive.

Audio AM should be improved.

Great Investment
By dgmarnp

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having owned my RX400H now for over a year, I can say that is a fantastic vehicle to own and drive. I drive over 1000 miles a month and average 24-28 miles per gallon. If you don't get this type of mileage, you are not driving it the proper way. It took me over a month to get used to the subtle changes you need to make to maximize your fuel economy. It is so quiet for an SUV and very comfortable. Whether I am alone, with my grandchildren, or my parents, everyone raves about the comfort of the ride.

I don't really have one, but my grandchildren love the integrated Bluetooth phone to talk to their grandfather or parents. My kids like the nav system.

The nav system needs to allow the passenger to change things while the vehicle is in motion. Add option of air-conditioned seats (like my husband's Lexus has) for those of us in a warm climate.

Great Vehicle
By RX400

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Perfect size for active sports oriented people who need an SUV but drive alone with occasional passengers. Gas savings is a plus but the real perk is the V8 power with 4 cylinder mileage. Lots of personal storage space and excellent ergonomics. Nav and stereo system are great. This car will retrain you on how to drive properly. I came from a BMW 550 sedan and GX 470 and didn't realize how wasteful I was on the pedal. Highly recommend this vehicle. Great for long distance travel with small family. Best commuter car I have owned. Engine stops from 0-30 mph so no wasting gas but AC keeps running cold as ice.

Electronics, touch screen nav, personal storage, comfort, quietness, power on demand, great mileage,actual utility in a sports utility vehicle. Love the fact you can use AC without engine since it runs on electrical circuit so no wasting gas during stops.

Restore function of all nav and bluetooth functions on the nav unit. Little better handling on the twisties maybe use wider tires for better handling. Overall not bad though in the curves but could be better.

Lexus RX 400h 2008
By Syed Warsi

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

On the road it is a master. Complete grip on the road. Very quiet except for small tire noise. Variable transmission system does not gives a smooth takeoff from stop.

Bluetooth, GPS system, 6 CD changer, automatic rear door open/close.

If they can reduce tire noise then it will be fully noiseless SUV.

Good Hybrid SUV
By New Hybrid Fan

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love mine so far. Got before Thanksgiving and drove through the mountains. My husband was heavy on the gas pedal the whole time and still averaged just under 26mpg which is great since most cars and SUVS get 15-20mpg. On my daily business driving, I average 27-28 mpg and have gotten as high as 30 mpg. I'm careful to not be heavy on the pedal or breaks and coast as much as I can. This doesn't mean I have to stay at the speed limit, you can still average 70 mph.

Very comfortable and beautfiul interior. Fun to drive and sporty looking. Has plenty of power.

I agree with previous review that use of nav while driving would be great as well as iPod doc and improved hands free telephone.