Used 2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Works Fine, Last a Long Time
By Thomas Owens

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This was my first luxury SUV, and I really enjoy driving it. Although it doesn't have the bells whistles of my wife's 2013 GS 350, it drives great, is easy to maintain, and gets great mileage. Of course, I've had the Oil and Filter changed, and tires rotated every 5,000 Miles, plus any other factory recommend maintenance items.
About six months ago, I was with the Director of Aviation, and the Chief Pilot of a well known German Automobile Company. I asked the director of aviation how many plants they had around the world. He counted them up and said about 13. I then asked him which one had the best quality control. Without blinking, he responded, LEXUS.

Great Hybrid SUV
By Karin

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Loved this car from the minute we bought it new. Giving it up to buy another new one! No complaints!

Great Vehicle, fantastic mileage
By lexus_gta

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this used about a month ago with only about 60 K km. (less than 40K miles) on it. After much research I decided to use only REGULAR gas in it since it seems that Premium is more about performance than fuel economy. I'll probably throw in an additive every three months or so. Having driven it about 2500 km. (about 1500 miles), I'm averaging 8.6L / 100km. which is just over 27mpg. And that's on REGULAR Gas. My 2010 2.4L 4 cyl. Hyundai Santa Fe could not even begin to to approach these numbers. Couldn't be happier because I got a great deal on a car that was just inspected by Lexus and had all the brakes done by Lexus, and is practically new. My best vehicle ever!

Interior room and comfort, quality of leather seats. Great HID headlights. I live in the country and immediately noticed the difference in illumination between this and the Santa Fe. Fuel Economy. Power liftgate Rain sensing wipers

Can't think of any

Excellent Vehicle
By ramskifast

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this vehicle with 64K miles on it.
Now I have 99K.
My worse tank was 24mpg and the best was 29.25mpg.
I seem to average between 25 and 27.50 with mixed driving. High speed highway (75-84) is only around 22.
When I get the higher mileage it's usually when most of the driving is at lower speeds as you would expect.
I noticed a review of this vehicle by someone stating poor mileage. There was either something wrong with the vehicle or it was due to poor driving habits.
Way too many people blast up to the light and hit the brakes.
Then they hit the gas hard taking off.
Dumb-de-dumb.
If you use softer driving habits you will get 26-28.
You have to be thinking hybrid.
Smart drivers will see the good mileage.

Reliable but the buy a self-battery jumper because the starter battery will die on you
By greyhounds3

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this used and the hybrid system was not explained to me at the dealership.
I had to go to another dealership which took the time to explain the hybrid system to me.
(I stayed a customer at that dealership)

The starter battery dies in cold weather on a regular basis and also will die if the vehicle has not been driven for a week or so.
Do yourself a favor and purchase a chargeable self-battery jumper, which will save you a lot of time waiting for AAA.

I bought the hybrid to get better fuel economy.
I haven't seen the fuel economy of the Rx400h go above 26.

The features and gadgets are simple and easy to use, and the seats are super comfortable.

Seats are comfortable. Gadgets are simple. Decent fuel economy. I love the power rear-door mechanism and the button on the hatch door to close the door is easy to reach, even for little petite me. There's pretty good room in the cargo area and the back seats fold flat.

Sticker price! Real pricey. Fuel economy is not what I expected or was hoping for. The starter battery drove me crazy. The starter battery dies easily in cold weather. It also dies when the vehicle has not been driven for a week or so. Don't bother waiting for AAA: buy yourself a self-jumper.