Used 2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Great Vehicle, fantastic mileage
By lexus_gta

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this used about a month ago with only about 60 K km. (less than 40K miles) on it. After much research I decided to use only REGULAR gas in it since it seems that Premium is more about performance than fuel economy. I'll probably throw in an additive every three months or so. Having driven it about 2500 km. (about 1500 miles), I'm averaging 8.6L / 100km. which is just over 27mpg. And that's on REGULAR Gas. My 2010 2.4L 4 cyl. Hyundai Santa Fe could not even begin to to approach these numbers. Couldn't be happier because I got a great deal on a car that was just inspected by Lexus and had all the brakes done by Lexus, and is practically new. My best vehicle ever!

Favorite Features

Interior room and comfort, quality of leather seats. Great HID headlights. I live in the country and immediately noticed the difference in illumination between this and the Santa Fe. Fuel Economy. Power liftgate Rain sensing wipers

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any

Excellent Vehicle
By ramskifast

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this vehicle with 64K miles on it. Now I have 70K. My worse tank was 24mpg and the best was 29.25mpg. I seem to average between 25 and 27.50 with mixed driving. When I get the higher mileage it's usually when most of the driving is at lower speeds as you would expect. I noticed a review of this vehicle by someone stating poor mileage. There was either something wrong with the vehicle or it was due to poor driving habits. Way too many people blast up to the light and hit the brakes. Then they hit the gas hard taking off. Dumb-de-dumb. If you use softer driving habbits you will get 26-29. You have to be thinking hybrid. Smart drivers will see the good mileage.

Favorite Features

Nice ride and quiet. High quality build. I love the keyless roll down all windows and open the sun roof feature. Wonderful on a hot day as you walk up to the car. Overall a wonderful SUV. A pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Since people can (but shouldn't) talk on phone and text while they drive why can't a passenger work the Nav while the vehicle is moving? The passenger seat sensor should be connected to Nav system. Then if some idiot insists on putting a few sand bags there to beat the system then so be it.

Reliable but the buy a self-battery jumper because the starter battery will die on you
By greyhounds3

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this used and the hybrid system was not explained to me at the dealership. I had to go to another dealership which took the time to explain the hybrid system to me. (I stayed a customer at that dealership) The starter battery dies in cold weather on a regular basis and also will die if the vehicle has not been driven for a week or so. Do yourself a favor and purchase a chargeable self-battery jumper, which will save you a lot of time waiting for AAA. I bought the hybrid to get better fuel economy. I haven't seen the fuel economy of the Rx400h go above 26. The features and gadgets are simple and easy to use, and the seats are super comfortable.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable. Gadgets are simple. Decent fuel economy. I love the power rear-door mechanism and the button on the hatch door to close the door is easy to reach, even for little petite me. There's pretty good room in the cargo area and the back seats fold flat.

Suggested Improvements

Sticker price! Real pricey. Fuel economy is not what I expected or was hoping for. The starter battery drove me crazy. The starter battery dies easily in cold weather. It also dies when the vehicle has not been driven for a week or so. Don't bother waiting for AAA: buy yourself a self-jumper.

Wonderful Car
By slo-jim

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My RX 400h has been the very best, most reliable vehicle I have owned; buying my first car in 1967. Gas mileage has been super, averaging 28.5 MPG since day one. it is solid, very comfortable, has lots of power and a joy to drive. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a quality, energy efficient hybrid!

Favorite Features

The hybrid system and fuel economy, combined with a luxuriant vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is a disappointed. I understand they made major improvements with the 450h. I am getting one in a few weeks - we'll see.

New to us
By John

2008 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased a 2008 pre-owned certified 400H with 18,100 miles on it. It is pristine. Have driven it a week now and am getting 28.2 MPG around town and on the highway combined. Have had no problems. It is fun to drive and is very comfortable. I see some reviews stating poor mileage. Not here. If you want to drive it like a regular car, quick acceleration, high speeds, you will get the performance of a regular car. I had to learn to drive the hybrid properly and it is great. It has plenty of power, amazing actually. The only down side so far is the audio on AM stations. FM is excellent. AM sounds "tinny" though. So far, e love the car.

Favorite Features

Navigation, hybrid MPG. Quick response and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Audio AM should be improved.