2008 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
Excellent Vehicle
By ramskifast on 08/26/13 11:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this vehicle with 64K miles on it. Now I have 70K. My worse tank was 24mpg and the best was 29.25mpg. I seem to average between 25 and 27.50 with mixed driving. When I get the higher mileage it's usually when most of the driving is at lower speeds as you would expect. I noticed a review of this vehicle by someone stating poor mileage. There was either something wrong with the vehicle or it was due to poor driving habits. Way too many people blast up to the light and hit the brakes. Then they hit the gas hard taking off. Dumb-de-dumb. If you use softer driving habbits you will get 26-29. You have to be thinking hybrid. Smart drivers will see the good mileage.

Reliable but the buy a self-battery jumper because the starter battery will die on you
By greyhounds3 on 03/15/11 17:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this used and the hybrid system was not explained to me at the dealership. I had to go to another dealership which took the time to explain the hybrid system to me. (I stayed a customer at that dealership) The starter battery dies in cold weather on a regular basis and also will die if the vehicle has not been driven for a week or so. Do yourself a favor and purchase a chargeable self-battery jumper, which will save you a lot of time waiting for AAA. I bought the hybrid to get better fuel economy. I haven't seen the fuel economy of the Rx400h go above 26. The features and gadgets are simple and easy to use, and the seats are super comfortable.

Wonderful Car
By slo-jim on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My RX 400h has been the very best, most reliable vehicle I have owned; buying my first car in 1967. Gas mileage has been super, averaging 28.5 MPG since day one. it is solid, very comfortable, has lots of power and a joy to drive. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a quality, energy efficient hybrid!

New to us
By John on 03/26/10 22:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased a 2008 pre-owned certified 400H with 18,100 miles on it. It is pristine. Have driven it a week now and am getting 28.2 MPG around town and on the highway combined. Have had no problems. It is fun to drive and is very comfortable. I see some reviews stating poor mileage. Not here. If you want to drive it like a regular car, quick acceleration, high speeds, you will get the performance of a regular car. I had to learn to drive the hybrid properly and it is great. It has plenty of power, amazing actually. The only down side so far is the audio on AM stations. FM is excellent. AM sounds "tinny" though. So far, e love the car.

Poor gas mileage
By jfinley on 10/17/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a very nice car, but I challenge anyone out there to prove they are getting better than 22-24 mpg. Better, I challenge Lexus to prove it. My fiend with a V8 truck gets better mpg. Shame on you Lexus, shame on me for buying.

Combination of fun and milage
By Dr Var on 08/31/09 10:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great for long rides and everyday drives. Absolutely love the feeling of CVT and can see the vehicles on the other lanes disappear in my mirrors with out the feeling of gear change.

2008 Lexus Rx400h Review
By cduluk on 06/24/09 23:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a used 2008 Rx400h AWD a few weeks ago with about 40k miles. I had a 2003 Lexus Rx300 which was nice, but I needed an upgrade. The Rx400h is definitely an upgrade as it has many nice features. The 0-60 time of ~7 sec is very good for a v6 SUV, and the acceleration is very quick. My only complaints are the lack in seat comfort and lack of advertised gas mileage. I'm getting around 23mpg combined vs the 30 as advertised. Also the fact that the car doesn't have the new "smart key" feature as the rest of the 08 Lexus lineup has. But other than that, i am very satisfied!

A Luxury SUV with Great Gas Mileage
By Peter M. on 05/11/09 11:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is an incredible car, granted it is expensive, but well worth every penny. I don't understand the complaints about gas mileage. With a little coaching from the onboard "consumption" feature in the navigation system I am routinely getting between 29 and 30 mpg. 24-26 is a high speed highway average, 28-30 around town, and 30-33 in stop and go driving.

Great performance and mileage!
By DHENRY on 04/04/09 08:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Broke this car in on a trip through the mountains. At 200 miles, it averaged 25.1 MPG, 72 MPH. Town driving at average 27 to 29 MPG. Latest trip (Interstate and mountains) averaged 26.1 MPG., again at 72 MPH. Acceleration is both excellent and fun. This is our third Lexus (2nd RX) and it's by far the best. If your gas mileage isn't AT LEAST as good as the EPA estimate, work on modifying your driving style. Build quality for this Japanese-built example is flawless, and dealer (Classic Lexus) is extremely 'hybrid knowledgeable'.

I Love This Car
By Peter Milewski on 04/01/09 10:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is an SUV that rides and performs like a luxury sedan. It also gets great mileage. I averaged 27 mpg for my first 1000 miles and over 30 mpg on my daily stop and go commute into Boston. I am tall and this is the first car that makes me feel comfortable getting in and out of the drivers seat. The car has every bell and whistle you could want and some you may never use. I love this car!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.