2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Review: A New Driving Experience

2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic)

A New Driving Experience
By Garyeth on

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 10 months of driving the RX 400h I am sold on this car. I previously owned a non-hybrid Lexus RX 300 and the hybrid is so much more powerful and fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg which is more than adequate for the size and weight of this car. The challenge is to see how far you can coast on battery power in order to increase your mileage. This takes a light foot on acceleration as well as easy breaking. As with my 6 previous Lexus automobiles, this car has required no servicing to date and should prove to be very reliable. The acceleration is more like a V8 due to the combination of electric motors and gas engine. We've been to the mountains and had no problems on the hills.

The standard sound system on this car is superb. I also enjoy the power tailgate which is very convenient when loading groceries. The pickup is excellent and I can't complain about saving gas with the 25+ mpg. I like the headlamps that turn with the steering wheel for better cornering visibility.

Not a big deal but it would be nice to include the electric lumbar adjustment on the passenger side along with the driver's side. This helps on those long trips.