2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Review: love it, but it does have faul

2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic)

love it, but it does have faults
By rx400howner on

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been the best car I've ever owned, however, I have never gotten more than 21 MPG. Beyond that, there are no cup holders for those in the back seats, which I never thought of until it became an issue. The navigation system takes too long to start & the update ($500) I paid for after a few years didn't include any noticeable improvements. In my 6th year, as well as this, my 7th year of ownership, I have experienced a new issue with the door to the gas cap sticking, with an annoying wait while gas visibly escapes to relieve pressure in order for the door to open. The dealer tells me this is normal, but it is new to me in all of these years. Its a fun car to drive but with flaws.

I love the power of this vehicle. I have used it for towing trailers many times. The car is fun to drive and it feels very safe and comfortable, especially since I take many long cross country trips. I actually prefer driving cross country to flying because its so comfortable and reliable.

I can't believe they forgot to put cup holders for passengers in the back seats. The navigation system could stand improvement, but likely has already seen that change (I wouldn't know because I'm still driving my car at nearly 150k miles, with no intention of trading it in soon). However, by far the biggest thing I think needs improvement is the issue with the gas door not opening when its hot outside. I have tried everything, including only letting the gas tank get half empty, and still I have to wait at the mercy of whenever there is enough pressure released in order to re-fuel. Watching the fumes escape the hatch makes me wonder if this isn't dangerous, besides highly annoying!
By charsoft
on 01/29/14 15:56 PM (PST)

There are cup holders in the back seat. As long as no one is sitting in the middle of the back seat "over the hump", pull down the armrest in the middle of the back seat and you will find two handy little cup holders. Just had to point that out. Otherwise, your review reflects my experience; I've been driving the RX400h for over 6 years now.