Big Ticket Repairs
By michele55 on
2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Last year while far from home my RX400h stopped dead on the highway. After having it towed 145 miles and losing 3 days of vacation, Lexus replaced the computer to the hybrid system. The car was under warranty so other than a LOT of hassle, it only cost me $150 not $10,000+. Two weeks ago, I was driving in town and my car died again. Luckily I was able to get the car over to the side of the road--all the systems died. After about a week of trying to figure out what was wrong, Lexus determined it was the inverter and gratefully, even though out of warranty, the dealership replaced the part ($10K+) for free (98K miles on my Rx). My gas mileage has never been much more than 24-25mpg.
Favorite Features
Comfortable ride, have felt good about doing right by the earth driving a hybrid, but the hybrid doesn't seem to be doing right by me. Gas mileage has never been as advertised. My friend who has a non hybird 330 gets mileage as good as my rx400h.
Suggested Improvements
Make a reliable hybrid that really gets the gas mileage advertised. It's hard enough paying so much more for the hybrid only to realize the mileage isn't going to come close to making up the difference in the upfront cost. And figure out a way to update the nav system via satellite. I can't tell you how many addresses I have loaded into the system only to be told no such address exists. Very frustrating. I use the map app on my phone and would never buy a nav system again.