Best reliability of the three vehicles I've owned
By cjopil on
2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I've purchased a Ford Taurus and a GM Alero brand new and both vehicles had $2-$3k issues just after 3 years of ownership. I bought a 2006 RX400H used in 2009 (from dealership, it was leased). Initial problem was the battery in the CPU; I don't believe the dealership changed it out and I couldn't start the vehicle if it sat for longer than 24 hours. Since then, no problem - just regular maintenance. Put one new set of tires on it, avg MPG is 27 (being very conscious to "coast." Best savings: my husband sat in 3 hours of traffic to drive 45 miles due to a snowstorm and used less than 2 gallons of gas.
Favorite Features
There's a lot of features which I have honestly forgotten once we left the initial training session, but in general the single-push trunk open & close is the most commonly used. Bright headlights help nighttime/rain visibility. Comfortable seating in front & rear, you can cram quite a bit of items into the vehicle (for those of you who buy Ikea flatpack stuff). If you actually get 40 mpg I would be stunned but I do average 27. For an SUV, I'm happy with it. I get the size I want for the vehicle but it's not 21-22 mpg as most SUV's are. It's the same mpg average as my cars were.
Suggested Improvements
The GPS is a pain. It doesn't seem to understand English, and it's extremely inflexible with the way addresses are input. There's no allowance for having a passenger input an address (you have to be stopped to type anything in) and the fact that there's a 300 page manual to use it makes it clearly unintuitive. Usually I resort to using the nav on my I-PHone instead. Paying $250 or so to continuously update the system is unnecessary, I'd rather pay for sattelite radio and get a better nav with real-time traffic updates.